PDA

View Full Version : Grab rail?

M900nster
16-06-2004, 07:27 AM
Does anyone know where I can get a grab rail for my '96 M900? I had a Ventura grab rail/luggage rack on my previous Monster, but I wouldn't want another of those as the rail was too close to the pillion rider's bum leaving her little room to move. Any one had experience of another make, or got any ideas?
Henry

Pedro
16-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Try PMing Didge cos I think he knows where to get em!

M900nster
16-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Try PMing Didge cos I think he knows where to get em!
Thanks Pedro. I sent Didge a PM.

madhatter
17-06-2004, 11:41 AM
When you find out can you let me know as well. I was considering the ventura grabrail, but think it looks pants now I've seen one.

Thanks. :D

M900nster
17-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Madhatter, We can't be the only Monster riders going around 2up are we? For the record: The Ventura kit is well made, fits the bike nicely, and the luggage rack is small but strong. On the plus side, it carries the weight of luggage as far forward as possible (which minimises the effect on handling), and doesn't obstruct the tail lamp, but the minus side of being mounted so far forward was that my wife found the already small monster pillion seat felt even more cramped, and every time when we went over a large bump she'd slide forward and down my seat. She ended up with me sitting on her lap more than once! When I bought my latest Monster I decided I wouldn't buy another Ventura, and was planning to make my own grab rail, when it occurred to me that other UKMOC members might have the answer. I'll post here anything new I discover about grab rails.
Hey Didge: We need to hear from you!

Lady-Bob
21-06-2004, 01:11 PM
I've been looking for a grab rail too .... grateful for any ideas

Bob

madhatter
21-06-2004, 01:20 PM
M900nster and me are still waiting with cheque books in hand waiting for Didge to tell us where to get one from (he's da man according to Pedro), so unfortunately Bob, you need to take a ticket and join the queue.

I contacted Renntec, who don't make them for Monsters any more and couldn't advise me of anyone who can. Ventura Luggage is the only one I've seen other than the hugely horrible Givi plastic top box rack, which they claim to do for Monsters (think I'd rather make one out of a coat hanger).

Lady-Bob
21-06-2004, 01:32 PM
Damn! trust me to pull ticket No 100456! A long wait to get at the front of the queue!!

Coat hangers... sounds like a Blue Peter type thingy .... is there one you made earlier madhatter?

Perhaps it would work best if covered with some good 'ol sticky back plastic?!

:lol:

Where's Didge got to then??? :confused:

Didge
21-06-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm here!!!!
The only advise I can give you all is this.
The one and only grabrail I've seen for a Monster, was some time ago, and it looked bloody HORRIBLE.
Leave your beautiful bikes staying beautiful and do what I did. Forget a horrible ****ty looking grabrail, and spend £15.00 on a 'PILLION-PAL' or 'LOVE HANDLES' belt instead.
Various pillions I've taken on the bike have loved these.
Jan (my girlfriend) was useing them for a while and thought they were great, but now she doesn't need them as she just hooks her thumbs into the adjuster straps on my leather jacket. It's probably just showing-off on her part, but who knows with women???

spacemonkey
21-06-2004, 08:42 PM
I'll agree with the Didge-meister on this one. My bint just 'holds on tight' when we're 'going for leather' on my 'nice bike'.