PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size advice needed please

Matt Black
15-06-2004, 09:26 PM
Just ordered some Pirelli's for my M900. Although Bridgestone mostly list a 170/60 rear for this bike, they do mention a 180/55 section, and I have been seduced.

I assume this will fit but will it foul a DP carbon hugger in the process.

Please advise.Ta

Paranoid Dave
15-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Just ordered some Pirelli's for my M900. Although Bridgestone mostly list a 170/60 rear for this bike, they do mention a 180/55 section, and I have been seduced.

I assume this will fit but will it foul a DP carbon hugger in the process.

Please advise.Ta

Dunno about the hugger but I only know a couple of people who've run 180's and they changed back to a 170 next time. Be interested to know if others use them, and like them or not?

Dave

psychlist
15-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Depends on how tight a fit your hugger is and how your chain's adjusted, the 55% profile (55% of 180mm) rather than the 60% (of 170mm) should compensate for the difference in aspect height, but it could be mighty close around the edges matey :eek:
You'll also find it slower to turn in to a corner, not so much as to cause any problems, just a bit more weight on the counter steering to drop it into the corner's s'all.
Take it easy til you bed them in tho wont you ;)

Matt Black
15-06-2004, 09:36 PM
I expect the handling is slower. I haven't fitted it yet but I think it'll be a 170 that goes on before track day after all. Cheers Dave.

PS if you go on the official Mallory web site and click on accomodation I noticed there are a couple of B&Bs with secure parking.

Pedro
15-06-2004, 11:02 PM
Matt

the 180 will fit no prob - I think Flip has fiited a 180. To get it to turn properly again, raise the rear ride height a couple of turns.

Ped

Chris
16-06-2004, 08:48 AM
I have a 180/55 on mine (always have had since I bought it so can't compare the difference to a 170). The tyre fits fine and it handles well but I have got the back end raised and an Ohlins rear shock. I have notices the Bridgestone (012) is a flatter profile tyre than the Metzeler (sportec M1) I used to use (and will change back to) but still turns in fine and seems to last longer.

Matt Black
16-06-2004, 08:40 PM
The plot thickens....Two for and two against!

180 has been delivered now - seems a shame not to use it. We shall see, only a week or so till trackday time.

In the words of Homer Simpson.....Dragon Evo's....aaaaahhhhhhh (dribble)

Chris
16-06-2004, 11:33 PM
Pirelli's come from the same factory as Metzellers. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

MilesB
21-06-2004, 04:42 PM
I got mine fitted with Sportech M1 180 on the back of my M900ie, 'cause getting hold of a 170 quickly wasn't so easy - impatient me. The boys at Pro-Twins said it would be OK, and it fits absolutely fine (no problems with the hugger - although it looks snug), looks great :cool: and I think it helps the handling... but then I potter round corners without coming anywhere near to grounding out the pipes :D

I wanted Roadtechs, as they should have a longer life, so will be watching the wear with interest - the originals lasted me 6K.

Chris
21-06-2004, 06:36 PM
My Sportstecs tend to last about 3K on the back 6K on the front
At the moment I have a Bridgestone 012 on and it has already done over 3K and is still going strong, but the front seems to be wearing quicker than the Metzellers do.

MilesB
23-06-2004, 03:27 PM
I've already got 3K out of the Sportech's, with plenty of wear left :) , but then, as I already admitted, I have been accused of pottering :o , so they've probably got a long way to go yet.....

MilesB
23-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I've already got 3K out of the Sportech's, with plenty of wear left :) , but then, as I already admitted, I have been accused of pottering :o , so they've probably got a long way to go yet.....

Sod it! - Looks like I'm only gonna get 4K out of that rear :(

Too much hooning in the sun :D :burnout:

Been good tyres though, but I want something longer lasting - and preferably matched front and back. I'll get a new rear, then replace both at the same time when the front goes...

Anyone tried Roadtechs?

Matt Black
23-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Just for the record I fitted a 180 dragon evo, and there was more room inside the hugger than with a 170 Bridgestone Sportmax.

Awesome trackday performance was experienced, melted right to the edges. No chicken strips for me.

The Kevlar Kid
25-08-2004, 01:00 PM
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that fitting the 180 instead of the 170 ruins the handling. Any one found this (or vice versa)??

Just fitted BT014's to mine and they grip like poo to a poncho.

Matt Black
26-08-2004, 10:09 PM
only if th etyre is physically fatter - affects the turn in but you can combat that with a ride height adjustment. Need to be careful choosing th eright tyre thats all.