PDA

View Full Version : Clunk!

Will
15-06-2004, 12:47 PM
If I push the bike forward and apply the front brake hard, I get a small 'clunk' from the front as the forks dive. I cannot feel any play in the steering head, however the brake rotors do have a very small amount of rotational play and I assume that this is what is causing the small 'clunk'.

Anyone else noticed this? - my bike is a 2002 620ie.

Will

PaulS
15-06-2004, 01:04 PM
I get this on my 02 S4. It usually happens when I have used the brakes when moving the bike backwards and then apply them whilst moving the bike forwards. I think it's probably the brake pads moving in the calipers and I don't think it's anything to worry about. Not sure that there should be any rotational play in the disc rotors as such. Floating or semi-floating rotors might move in and out to some extent on their spigots.

PaulS
15-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Just been out to the garage and had a look at mine. If you grab the front rotors firmly you can move them a small amount on the spigots that allow them to (semi) float so I guess that's normal.

Pedro
15-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Probably the pads rattling on their pins a little or compressing the forks to the inner bump stops.