PDA

View Full Version : Side stand mod.

norrie
14-06-2004, 11:00 PM
I understand you can make a mod to the sidestand so it dosen't spring up on it's own?
Is this the case and how do you do it?

Thanks.

Norrie.

steviej
14-06-2004, 11:27 PM
Don't quote me but I think you have to buy a different side stand, if my memory serves me right.........and serve me right it will :eek:

gary tompkins
15-06-2004, 12:31 AM
There's a couple of ways to sort it out, these are the ones I've heard about...

1. You can grind down the top of the pivot bolt so the metal plate connected to the return spring just misses it, but I don't think it leaves much to unscrew the bolt with an allen key.

2.You used to be able to get a modified bolt (from some Ducati dealers) to replace the factory one to give the same effect, but I dont know if it's still available as a spare part.

3. There was a kit available to replace the return spring connecting bracket with one that's sort of 'C' shaped. This fitted round and missed the top of the pivot bolt allowing the stand to stay extended. A few Ducati related websites that had details of this mod, so I'll have a dig and see what I can find. You could also try ringing around a few of the shops to see what's still available.

One thing to bear in mind is that the only warning you'll have that your stands down after this mod, will be the red triangle warning lamp on the idiot lights. So it's worth making sure the bulb and the small pin switch at the stand (prone to seizing solid) are in working order, or you could end up pranging the bike after forgetting to lift the stand :eek:

Pedro
15-06-2004, 06:25 AM
I recently cut my bolt down (after dropping the bike in the garage - head lights are expensive from Ducati but much cheaper from BMW!!). There was enough of the hex left to do it up ok but you need to get in the habit of kicking the stand up.

The other option is to replace the small metal bracket that links the spring with a piece that is more "C" shaped so it hooks over the bolt head.

Ped

Paranoid Dave
15-06-2004, 05:58 PM
I gone for option 5 - not on this list. A longer bolt with a spacer behind the head which the top of the spring connects to, so as it's sprung, it stretches over the top of the bolt that would otherwise get in the way.

I've lost count of the times I've ridden off with it down, more than once in a single day too. The slightest touch on a kirb or stone and it flips up thank god.

I would take a pic but I not got a digi camera, I could try and lay the bike on the scanner if that helps? :D

A Yerbury
15-06-2004, 06:02 PM
lay the scanner over kylie instead. just no photoshop cheats mkay!

Paranoid Dave
15-06-2004, 06:09 PM
no p*******p required. I found a pic the guy who made the mod sent me. :D

norrie
15-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks for that.
Looks good to me.

Norrie.

rebel
05-09-2005, 04:50 PM
no p*******p required. I found a pic the guy who made the mod sent me. :D

That's great! :)

I'm fed up trying to put the side-stand down and leaning the bike over only to have it flick up and nearly flatten me under the bike... :eek: ....Madhatter get a hacksaw, spanners, hammer now...........is it done yet?