PDA

View Full Version : Paint job: how much and where?

marchesini
12-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Looking to change my s4 to an s4r but was thinking of either buying any colour and getting it repainted or just getting small bits redone. For example, if I bought a red monster and wanted it in senna colours, how much would it cost to convert? So does anyone have any ball park figures on:
1. Wheels resprayed i.e. grey to red?
2. Tank, cowl and fairing resprayed i.e. basic colours and how much more it costs with a corse stripe?

Also any recommendations in the kent, essex area?

Thanks all

simon

Keabs
12-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Got mine done by Extreme Racepaint in Wellingborough Northants: 01933 441999

£150 all in for Tank and Headlamp cowl - probably add another £50 for seat cowl. . .

My mate had his wheels painted by them and was charged £100 all in.

Quality is good and they'll probably do a corse style stripe for about another £20 or so (they cut their own decals).

Hope this helps. Pic below:
Blue Monster S4 (http://www.smartgroups.com/picvault/22557402.jpg/MKS4.jpg)

A Yerbury
12-06-2004, 03:14 PM
did the wheels and stripes (stuck on, much cheaper) looks ace and is easy to reverse) myself but a guy in holloway did a nice mettalic red (cowl/small fairing/bellypan/tank and fender) for 200. that was with haggling and a coupla pints mind! I can dig out his number, any way heres a pic. being mettalic its a pig to shoot but this should give u an idea.
Alex
ps he has a deep mettalic cyan which looks the biz!

Paranoid Dave
12-06-2004, 03:24 PM
let me get this straight, you want to paint a bike grey with red wheels. :eek:

I'd pay £200 to have the senna scheme painted over. ;) :D

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

marchesini
12-06-2004, 03:39 PM
let me get this straight, you want to paint a bike grey with red wheels. :eek:

I'd pay £200 to have the senna scheme painted over. ;) :D

Not really. If I did get a non senna bike, I would get a custom job all over but was just trying to get an idea of how much it costs to change. The red wheels I definitely like (to match my Malboro Ducati leathers :D ) with a dark metallic colour as a contrast. So by the estimates here, I guess a tank, fairing, seat unit and wheels painted would be approx £350-400. That's not bad actually, I thought it would be closer to a grand. Race reps schemes from Dream Machine cost at least that so it at least gets me thinking.

Another thought is polishing costs. On the s4r, I guess I would want the swingarm and pipes polished so again any recommendations in the same area?

Thanks again

simon

Paranoid Dave
12-06-2004, 05:02 PM
I think Dom had a lot polished of recent before bits were painted and coated. I'm sure he got them done in south essex somewhere. Just a thought but you could do worse than send him a PM. (Dom900)

Good luck with it and make sure you put loads of pics up of the work in progress, we like projects on here.

PD :twisted:

M900Dom
12-06-2004, 09:32 PM
I think Dom had a lot polished of recent before bits were painted and coated. I'm sure he got them done in south essex somewhere. Just a thought but you could do worse than send him a PM. (Dom900)

Good luck with it and make sure you put loads of pics up of the work in progress, we like projects on here.

PD :twisted:

I did indeed.

If you want some stuff done then PM me your number, check out the pics in Mods & how tos, "My Project update with pics hopefully".
I am in Southend and can sort out Polishing/Painting/Powder coating if you like ?
Check out my bike and you`ll see what I mean
Cheers
Dom

marchesini
13-06-2004, 06:56 AM
If you want some stuff done then PM me your number, check out the pics in Mods & how tos, "My Project update with pics hopefully".
I am in Southend and can sort out Polishing/Painting/Powder coating if you like ?
Cheers
Dom

Southend isn't too far from me so these places may be ideal. I would love to powder coat a frame but the idea of taking a new (or nearly new) bike to bits with my limited knowledge would be a total mistake. I just know I would end up with a box of bits that I didn't know where they came from when putting it back together.

The wheels would be simple enough to remove. As would the tank, headlight fairing and seat unit (I have an MV style rear end - oh er :eek: ) but how simple is to remove a swingarm (single sided style)?

It seems from your pictures that you are pretty familiar with the workings of your bike to be able to dismantle it that thoroughly. Is it something that could be tackled by a relative novice or something that should be left well alone. I do have a friend who knows a fair bit about bikes who would be able to help but I guess that if I did want the frame powder coated, I would be looking at a fair few hours labour. I think the amount of hours when doing 'projects' cannot be overlooked - fine if like you, you know what you are doing but as I said, not for lily livered office workers like me.

Thanks again and I have a lot more questions with my forthcomimg 'project'. If I can dig out pics, I'll post my existing s4 with the mv seat unit to show you the sort of direction I am going in.

Thanks again and I'll pm you my number when I get closer to the time.

simon

marchesini
05-07-2004, 04:37 PM
I did indeed.

Cheers
Dom

Getting that itchy feeling so trying to get more fixed costs on painting and polishing together. I can't seem to find any senna S4R's about so looking at the painting route. Dom, I've pm'd my mobile number to you so would be grateful for any contacts for 'ball park' prices.

best regards

simon

Albie
05-07-2004, 06:12 PM
Simon
Whilst we were on rideout yesterday to sammy millers we stopped i think at Alton in suurey. I think the dealers name is Roger Snells ( check with CK & AK ) ducati dealer . Nice people as well. Anyway they had this S4r exactly in your colour scheme. Dogs doodahs :D :D :D They will obviously make them at ducati.
Cheers Albie

ps i think ive got rid of exhausts so i'll give you a ring soon and pick them up when ok.I'm in Dartford tomorrow afternoon if that helps.

JMo
05-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Race reps schemes from Dream Machine cost at least that so it at least gets me thinking.

Don't even think about them - my bike has been back FIVE fu*king times to them, and now the seat cowl has blistered again - looks like they undercoated it in Hammerite...

Am seeing their rep tomorrow morning... sparks are gonna fly!

xxx

A Yerbury
05-07-2004, 07:33 PM
stilll not sorted!? blimey they -were- supposed to have a good reputation....