PDA

View Full Version : Haynes Manual

DesmoDog
12-06-2004, 09:30 AM
Might be the wrong forum but,

I went to buy a Haynes manual for the baby, a 98 Dark. According to my local dealer the range goes up to 96, then 2000 - what happened to 97-99? AND he asked if it was the Dark.

I know the darks are slightly different, but I thought it was only cosmetic - can anyone tell me what I should be buying? :confused:

Little Monster
12-06-2004, 11:51 AM
When i enquired about one at Italsport in Bury there wasn't one for my year of bike - 2001 Monster Dark 600. so i didn't bother. Got an old BMW (car) too and there's no Haynes for that either. Basically, they don't make em for every year. Bloke at Italsport proceeded to then call it the Haynes book of lies, going on about the fatal errors they often lead people to make blah blah blah. So, i got a bit dispondent and gave up. Workshop manual looked a bit over the top for my needs.

someone posted recently on another thread about the darks (or some of them) having inferior forks etc but i remember thinking mine hadn't so i didn't really take it in. can't remember who or the name of the thread and i haven't managed to find anything through the search facility - sorry!

Little Monster
12-06-2004, 11:58 AM
ahhhh, check out post by Norrie entitled buying a monster - what to look for. differences are mentioned in there.

DesmoDog
12-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Cheers little mo, I rekon it'll have to be the manual then - Can't bear the though of laying out a tenner for the handbook that comes with the bike, not much of any use in there either.

Pedro
12-06-2004, 02:58 PM
The Haynes Book of Lies should be fine for your bike. To be truthful, I only use it for a quick scan read and torque setting etc.

Ped

Jason
12-06-2004, 07:08 PM
Might be the wrong forum but,

I went to buy a Haynes manual for the baby, a 98 Dark. According to my local dealer the range goes up to 96, then 2000 - what happened to 97-99? AND he asked if it was the Dark.

I know the darks are slightly different, but I thought it was only cosmetic - can anyone tell me what I should be buying? :confused:
Hi, I actually work for Haynes for my sins and having an M600 Dark myself (2001 model) I can confirm the following:

The only manual that we currently do for the Monster is the 3290 Ducati 600, 750 & 900 2-valve V-twins

I have found that for most servicing proceedures and settings it's fine for my bike (I've got the official Ducati manual for my bike's year as well and most basic stuff corresponds).

The Ducati manual is quite good but does have some quaint translations which are not always enlightning! There are quite a few diagrams but NO pics - use the Haynes manual for that.

However, I would thoroughly recommend the excellent ducatisuite.com for accurate, real-world explainations of how to do stuff like setting the valve clearances etc. It really ain't that difficult having done it following the guy's proceedure. It's better than EITHER manual for that!

There are plans to bring out an updated Haynes manual for modern Monsters later this year, but it's going to be a pig due to all the major model changes that have happened over the last couple of years e.g. fuel injection etc. I'll keep you posted though.

Hope some of this waffle helps:-)

crust
12-06-2004, 07:37 PM
The Haynes Book of Lies ............. To be truthful, I only use it for a quick scan read and torque setting etc.

Ped

Hi, I actually work for Haynes for my sins and having an M600 Dark myself (2001 model)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I just want you to know, m8, I've always admired Haynes for the accuracy and clarity of their manuals. ;)

:D Crust

sorry Ped, couldn't resist it :twisted:

A Yerbury
12-06-2004, 07:50 PM
clymer dont do one do they?

james007
14-07-2004, 10:16 PM
I used to use the 'hanynes, until I found this fantastic site http://www.ducatisuite.com/maintcharts which is a hellofa lot betta, and the guy will answer questions if you have any...much more than a haynes manual!!!

steviej
14-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi, I actually work for Haynes for my sins and having an M600 Dark myself (2001 model) I can confirm the following:

The only manual that we currently do for the Monster is the 3290 Ducati 600, 750 & 900 2-valve V-twins

I have found that for most servicing proceedures and settings it's fine for my bike (I've got the official Ducati manual for my bike's year as well and most basic stuff corresponds).

The Ducati manual is quite good but does have some quaint translations which are not always enlightning! There are quite a few diagrams but NO pics - use the Haynes manual for that.

However, I would thoroughly recommend the excellent ducatisuite.com for accurate, real-world explainations of how to do stuff like setting the valve clearances etc. It really ain't that difficult having done it following the guy's proceedure. It's better than EITHER manual for that!

There are plans to bring out an updated Haynes manual for modern Monsters later this year, but it's going to be a pig due to all the major model changes that have happened over the last couple of years e.g. fuel injection etc. I'll keep you posted though.

Hope some of this waffle helps:-)

I'm awfully sorry to butt in at this moment in time BUT..........after our little congregation at Mallory, I noticed that the conversation sometimes crept toward "I can't believe it's so different"..............."but isn't your a 600/620/750/800/900/1000/S4/S4R too ??(if I've missed one out, CONSTIPATION!!*) "But there's only six months between 'em, how can that be...................."

Come on peeps, give Haines a chance. At the end of the day it is only a GUIDE & not the Holy Grail...............

On a lighter note.........get yer F**KIN sunglasses out for the weekend SUNSHINE :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

*TUFF SH!T

spacemonkey
15-07-2004, 06:06 PM
Ah, but I have the same bike that they strip (Mk1) and they're still optimistic on the truth! Personally I blame Ducati for building parts bin specials and using whatever's lying around on the factory floor. However, I have been through MANY Hayne's Books of Lies (copyright: Spacemonkey, 1999) and they're all crap...

DesmoDog
16-07-2004, 09:14 AM
Cheers little mo, I rekon it'll have to be the manual then - Can't bear the though of laying out a tenner for the handbook that comes with the bike, not much of any use in there either.

Update, I found the manual in helpful PDF format posted up by a copyright careless Italian. The link, should you require it can be found here

http://www.ducati.com/doc/manuals/MY02_MONSTER_eng.pdf

still haven't purchased the Haynes manual as every time I post a question here it's answered - thanks everyone! :D

A Yerbury
16-07-2004, 09:36 AM
and what isnt in haynes can -almost- always be found here.
Alex
tech tip. ducati do not provide an insulting grommett for the starter motor brush kit which will more than likely tear if the brush bolt does, simply cut a corner piece from an old video box. hey presto, Antheas bums n tums does have a use after all! -and no it was'nt mine.

james007
16-07-2004, 09:40 AM
here, this is a very good site: http://www.ducatisuite.com/maintcharts

spacemonkey
16-07-2004, 06:00 PM
Antheas bums n tums does have a use after all! -and no it was'nt mine.

So what brand of chocco bar is she eating to make her bums'n'tums worthy of a video? Last year when doing a boot sale we (that is, my bint) had a Geri Halliwell fitness dvd to dispose of. We thought we'd never get shot of it. But then a woman with short hair, doccers and dungerees snatched it up. Something for everyone...

A Yerbury
16-07-2004, 08:18 PM
kitano, kurosawa and halliwell? birds eh?! as for the anthea vid it was that or my wee brothers hilarious "nick hancocks footballing gaffs"
familys eh?

A Yerbury
16-07-2004, 08:20 PM
so the dyke got ginger for a snatch?

spacemonkey
17-07-2004, 10:18 AM
yup!
That looks just like one of my pigs...

A Yerbury
17-07-2004, 12:45 PM
I can now bunndle a carb warmer in with your goodies. plugged up the banjos and is all looking very tidy indeed. I eagerly await the inevitable rodent themed avatar influx. sadly said rodent is not mine but one of "google images" back in the days (1979)I was a gerbil fancier, they have the cute factor of other rodents but are quite quite mad. prone to infanticide and cannabalism as a 9 year old me discovered. the scars run deep!