PDA

View Full Version : engine tapping ?

stef
11-06-2004, 08:49 PM
I was going my merry way through the traffic last night when that friendly tattooed guy sat in his mini estate starts telling me "your engine, yeah, it's tapping badly mate..."
i returned him a 32 teeths smile and told him, "i know, they all do that, it's a ducati you see, it's supposed to sound like this."
The guy didnt insist, and i just carried on my way.
but it got me thinking.
do they really all do this ? The only reason i thought it was normal is because a friend's Harley Crapitson (also a two cyl) shares that tapping noise.. i have to admit, its a pretty poor argument in front of a court.
so the question is, do they all do that ????
the noise in question is a fairly high pitch (like a small bell, or a high note on a xilophone ?) tapping, maybe twice a second, not that loud, but if you listen carefully, you can hear it. like a fast, small hammer on the engine case.
should i book it in for a valve clearance adjustement ?

Keith
11-06-2004, 09:06 PM
The Valve gear on the Duke usualy tightens up rather than gets loose. If you don't keep on top of it, one day its running, and the next...... POP!

Keith

Duncan
11-06-2004, 09:16 PM
That sounds like the clutch rattling. They all do that sir, but the dry clutch models 900, S4, S4R, M1000 do it the most.

CK & AK
11-06-2004, 09:22 PM
That sounds like the clutch rattling. They all do that sir, but the dry clutch models 900, S4, S4R, M1000 do it the most.

:D and they sound even better with an open clutch cover too:D

C

stef
11-06-2004, 09:25 PM
the clutch ?
interesting... i'll get the stetoscope out and go through the engine, to see which side it's coming from.

PaulS
11-06-2004, 09:35 PM
With the bike running and in neutral pull the clutch lever in - if the noise reduces then it's the normal Ducati dry clutch rattle. Some are worse than others.

Pedro
11-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Didn't think M600 (from Stef's profile) had dry clutches.....

PaulS
12-06-2004, 01:45 AM
Didn't think M600 (from Stef's profile) had dry clutches.....

They don't - nobody mentioned it was a 600. Certainly won't sound good with an open clutch cover either then. The old forum used to put your bike by your name saving the hassle of trawling the profiles. The clock's an hour behind again as well. I'm in a whingeing mood - should go to bed!

grunter
12-06-2004, 01:22 PM
m600 are renound for the front pot knocking cant remember why?
pm paul hitchcock i think he had the same?

spacemonkey
13-06-2004, 12:56 PM
Very interesting, and excellent timing...
My 900 has just developed a knocking (kinda clack, clack, clack) from the engine after a good blast all the way down the M3/M27 to Christchurch. It is very noticible when ticking (how apt) over and absolutely awful when cold. Did the oil change Friday afternoon and wondered what was hanging out of the sump hole. pulled out one of those wire bracket/hangers that are bolted to the OUTSIDE of the carbs to hold the breather tubes in place. So how the hell did that get INSIDE my engine, and what the hell had it done? The wire looked like it had been cooking in hot oil but luckily didn't have any burr marks on it. Took it to my Man who did top end rebuild (who could be the only person responsible...) and he correctly identified it but looked mystified. Anyway, he reckons the clacking noise is coming from the front camshaft assembly. He's keeping the bike this week and I'm on the bloody train back to Smogsville to see our newly re-elected Mayor (Grr....) later. As the cam pully is mover by hand there is a clacking and a little play which there shouldn't be according to him. Hopefully, it might just be collapsed bearings, but thankfully the whole cam assembly can be removed without removal of heads. Bloody Italian Trash....

thesaxman
16-06-2004, 12:55 AM
sounds like youve got a problem with the giggle pins... :eek:

DesmoDog
16-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Well there's two things here.

I noticed a horrible tinny tinkering like a pixie on speed with a little bell - was really worried because I thought something was up with the chain. After much listening, I found it was the pillion foot peg which was rattling. Sorted.

sounds like youve got a problem with the giggle pins... :eek:

Now, next thing - I was checking the oil window today, and I noticed what looked like a bit of bent coat hanger sticking out of the bottom of the engine casing - I have no clue what this is, or what its for. I'l try and sort out a digital camera to show it but in the meantime, any ideas?

steviej
16-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Desmo, I reckon it's fell out of the Pixies wardrobe. :eek: :D

DesmoDog
16-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Aha, damned little folk. The slug powder I've poured into the oil tank should sort em though

steviej
16-06-2004, 08:56 AM
:eek: :D :D