PDA

View Full Version : Replacement handlebars, advice please.

slug
10-06-2004, 09:54 PM
I am finding the swept back downward angle of my standard bars is a bit painful on long journeys. :(
Has anyone fitted flatter higher bars?
If so what are they and how much higher up are they?
Cheers

NattyBoy
10-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Speak to Jmo mate..shes got some flatish renthals I think..

Nat

JMo
14-06-2004, 06:07 PM
I have - mine are Renthal 6" Trials bars - that are both higher and wider by a couple of inches (and much straighter/less layback too), but as such, I also had to change the brake/clutch hoses, throttle cable and fast idle cable, so it wasn't quick, or cheap to be honest.

Best thing to do is measure the original bars, then sit on the bike with your hands were you'd like them to be (that's not down the front of your trousers!), work out the difference and look at the list of Renthal bars available that give the closest measurements... I imagine you'll be wanting a rise measurement of around 4 inches (standard bars are around 50mm) to make an appreciable difference - width is up to you, you can always cut them down.

JennyMo

xxx

Paranoid Dave
14-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Standard bars hurt on long journeys?
:eek:

Christ you must sit in a strange position.

Get some clip ons and feel the pain. :twisted:

On a serious note, I found doing more than 100 mile with my clip ons hurt, but mainly only my left hand??? I slackened off the bolts and rotated the lever round so it dropped by about 5mm. Been spot on ever since. It's worth checking if it's the bars you want to move or just the position of the levers, and there's no reason that both have to be the same height - that's why mine hurt until I moved them and now one is slightly higher than the other I think.
:confused:

slug
15-06-2004, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. :)
I went down to my local dealer and looked at some Ducati bars which are drilled for the switch gear pins and are slightly more raised (e.g.not swept back) so I might give them a try, only problem is they were gold no wonder they only wanted £30 for them. I will try moving the levers around/down a bit before I go for the gold bars.

DesmoDog
15-06-2004, 08:42 AM
Slug,

I don't think those bars are standard on your bike - they look more like clip ons. Anyway, I've got Renthals on mine and the position is very nice. I also have a set of RR clip ons that I intend to try out later in the year - probably after some fool lets me try out their bike ;-D If you ever get over to any of the Manc lot's meets and I'm around you're welcome to try my setup.

Karl

chas
15-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Hi

Just fitted Rizoma clip ons on my 900ie and up to now I think there a big improvement on the stock bars, at present anyway.

Charlie

A Yerbury
16-06-2004, 08:11 PM
dave u may have asymetrical arms...or hands...or... (continues as paranoinometer flies into the red)