PDA

View Full Version : £700 for first 12 month service!!!!

Julie
08-06-2004, 06:04 PM
my 620 is going in for its first service on sturday and i asked how much they thought it would cost.
£140 rear tyre
£75 to fit scottoiler
£485 for my service and they are not even changing the belts!!!

I had a 12000 mile service on ruths inc blet change and pads and value stuff a few months ago and that only cost £360...so why is my new bike costing so bloody much?

Has anyone else had a 12 month service on a new 620 with say 5000 miles on it , if so how much did it cost you?

Please help i think i'll have to sell Ruth on e-bay to pay for it!

walkingpictures
08-06-2004, 06:35 PM

Let's not get too hasty here ;)

Kimbo........getting ready with a bid :eek:

Zimbo
08-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Big ouch!!!
You may be stuck with the actual service, maybe phone around a few other Ducati dealers, you may be surprised at the difference in quotes!!
£75 to fit a scottoiler isn't bad, assuming it includes the purchase of the scotoiler, they're £70 to buy.
The tyre you can get cheaper elsewhere, as an example I pay just under £100 for a rear Diablo, fitted to a loose wheel and balanced, plus £10 if you want them to take the wheel off and refit it.

Dave Pearson
08-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Just had my S4's 12 month service done (3,500 miles) at Bridge Motorcycles and it cost £265.
£485 sounds a bit OTT!
I shall be glad when my warranty period is up so that I can get it serviced properly at a reasonable price.

Dave

slob
08-06-2004, 07:55 PM
I had a 24 month service done at DLS, which was nearly £500, including belts and I'd expect to be paying a bit extra in 'London prices'.

fatbloke
08-06-2004, 08:06 PM

How Much for Ruth?

walkingpictures
08-06-2004, 08:09 PM
How Much for Ruth?

Hey,get in the queue ;) ;) ;)

Kimbo :lol:

Julie
08-06-2004, 09:07 PM
Big ouch!!!
You may be stuck with the actual service, maybe phone around a few other Ducati dealers, you may be surprised at the difference in quotes!!
£75 to fit a scottoiler isn't bad, assuming it includes the purchase of the scotoiler, they're £70 to buy.
The tyre you can get cheaper elsewhere, as an example I pay just under £100 for a rear Diablo, fitted to a loose wheel and balanced, plus £10 if you want them to take the wheel off and refit it.

£75 is just for fitting the scottoiler i bought the thing at the BMF for £65.

Julie
08-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Ruth will be for sale on e-bay on sunday. I'll sed you both the link! :D

Keabs
08-06-2004, 09:31 PM
I would ask them, nice and politely to give you a breakdown of the work they will be doing for the £485. The will normally reply with something like "the work that's listed in the ducati service book".

At which point you say "thank you, now how many hours labour is that please? What's your hourly rate, and what parts does this cost cover?"

(normally this will be 4 litres of oil and an oil filter - approx £65 and £10 respectively at dealer prices). If they add extra parts on that list, such as brake pads or fluid, ask why your brakes need doing at only 5,000 miles.

Whatever list you get from them, post it here and we'll dissect it and give you the lowdonw on how much they may be trying to shaft you . . . . .

hope this helps. . .

Oh, and p.s. you really shouldn't be paying more than £350 for a 5k service, tops. . .

A Yerbury
08-06-2004, 09:36 PM
damn, I prefer you julie!
Alex, owner of camels and dowry to include duchy of lambeth.
seriously though that does seem high, Im sure u could fit scotty oil. we have account with michelin I could find out about trade prices (Ill just say its for mine).
AY.

Piggy
08-06-2004, 09:41 PM
I paid £291.69 for 12 months service on my 620 at Riders in Bridgwater last year, I had done less miles than you have. I am now due for 24 months service & am dreading the cost. getting a new Dunlop D205 fitted tomorrow at local tyre fitter,£102 fitted to loose wheel!

Dave Pearson
08-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Piggy....try Bridge Motorcycles Exeter, still expensive...but cheaper than Riders.

Dave

Zimbo
08-06-2004, 09:56 PM
£75 is just for fitting the scottoiler i bought the thing at the BMF for £65.

In that case it's outrageous, they don't take long to fit and are fairly easy. If they're charging that for labour to fit it no wonder your service quote is so high.
Fit the scotoiler yourself, it's easy, the parts you need are in the kit, and the instructions are pretty good. If you're not confident in your abilities I'm sure someone here local to you would help you. Failing that, get your local bike shop to do it, their labour rates will be half your Ducati dealer's.
Get the tyre done elsewhere, the dealer's price is taking the ****.
Finally, good advice re asking for a breakdown of the work they're going to do, they're having a giraffe at your expense. Ring round a cople of other dealers for quotes as well, and don't be afraid to play them off against each other.

Finally, do the dealers really charge £65 for four litres of oil?? That's over double the cost of shell advance synthetic in a high street shop, and almost certainly double what they sell it for on their own retail floor! A genuine oil filter is a fiver from a main dealer. I really can't see how they can possibly justify that sort of money!!

Piggy
08-06-2004, 10:19 PM
:eek: I`ve just dug out the invoice from last service it breaks down to, £13.68 for Fuel Filter,
£5.44 for Oil Filter, £25.45 for Oil,£0.37 for2 Washers & a Massive £246.75 for Labour !!!.
I have yet to get a quote for the 24 month service but as the bike has done less than 6000 Miles does any one know if i still have to have the belts replaced?

Dave Pearson
08-06-2004, 10:40 PM
My labour was £156 at Bridge. Dropped the bike off at 8:30, picked it up at 2:00 pm, nice walk along the canal to the Double Locks pub while I was waiting, needed a bit of anasthetic before I got the bill. The Double Locks would be a nice place for a meet sometime, got camping and good beer....
I've ust noticed they've used Castrol GPS oil, is that stuff any good?

Dave

Keabs
08-06-2004, 11:08 PM
Ref. £65 for oil £10 for filter - I was putting those - off the top of my head - prices in to try to illustrate how some dealers take the pi55. Sure you should't expect to pay that, it's just that if they are quoting over £450 for the service, they're probably charging high prices for parts. . .

Castrol GPS - good stuff, depends what grade and what engine you're using. I used 10W/50 in my RSV last year and found it really thinned out when it got hot - made the gear changes really notchy, and the clutch grabby.
In a Monster 6/7/9 it should be fine. Wouldn't wanna use anything less than 15W/50 in an S4 tho'

Keabs
08-06-2004, 11:09 PM
BTW - Piggy, yeah 24 months service is belts, regardless of miles mate. . .

NewMon
09-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Ouch. I'll say that again. OUCH!

I'd be looking for a new dealer. I agree with other posters that you can fit the scottoiler yourself - you've done other just as complicated things. Ducati Coventry told me that I'd be looking at 200 quid a year for an average mileage (meaning 6000m per year). That still seems steep! Much more than my Yaris costs and that's got complicated valves and such. Judging by this and other threads, I wonder how accurate that will turn out to be.

Will
09-06-2004, 09:12 PM
The 6,000 mile/12month service on my 2002 620ie was £258.05p excluding VAT. Of that £192.50 was labour, i.e 5 hours @ £38.50 per hour.

Is this reasonable? The hourly rate probably is, but I suspect that the dealer would always round up the time to the nearest whole hour - if we are honest we probably would do the same.

I don't object to paying for good quality work because I expect to be well paid also! The most important thing is to find a dealer who you can trust to do a good job.

Who said that motorcycling was supposed to be a cheap hobby?

Just my two cents worth - might be total bo**ocks mind. :D

Will

JMo
09-06-2004, 11:58 PM
Jue - further to your/my PM - didn't realise they'd quoted you that much!

That is 100% taking the **** - no doubt they think you are just some dumb girl who doesn't know one end of a bike from the other... you could come down to Brighton, spend the weekend in a nice hotel and get your bike serviced at Pro Twins (who are reknowned as being top-notch in their attention to detail) and still get change from £485.

It's utter crap - even P&H (who charge top-dollar labour rates) did my 6000 mile service including a rear tyre for £450. A 6000 mile service (including parts) should be £350 + vat absolute max. - provincial dealers should be charging a lot less...

Tell em to F'off - patronising bastards! Go somewhere else where you can build a proper relationship with the staff...

xxx

gary tompkins
10-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Just one word - RIPOFF! :eek:

You must be able to get a better quote than that if you shop about. Several places are offering a new PAIR of tyres (plus fitting costs) at around the £140 mark, and as for charging you £75 notes to fit a scottoiler - what a joke. Any competent dealer should be able to do the job in less than an hour, and that price of over £480 for a service (minus belts) is a total pi** take :mad:

Time to name and shame maybe?

Ade
10-06-2004, 08:42 AM
The Lovely Pheonix and her much slower riding other half, took me to a bloke called Mike Davis, Robson Racing 01789 470589, after I got a puncture at last years Arra Mill weekend, well priced less than a 100 for, off, balance, valve, fit, I dont know how far that is from you. And the Lovely Pheonix swears by him.
As for the Ruth bidding, Ill open it with a mad weekend in Budapest.

Julie
10-06-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey Hey Hey. I fitted my scottoiler today.

I wanted to get it done before my service so that if I'd been really dumb they could spot it and change it.

All seems ok and I'm well chuffed!

Paranoid Dave
10-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Hey Hey Hey. I fitted my scottoiler today.

:( ;) :burnout:

Pit Bitch
10-06-2004, 06:31 PM
The belts perish with age, not just miles, so I'm told. Be prepared for them to be replaced, better to be safe than have an engine explode, big style.

Julie
12-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Just to let you all know My servuce only cost £260 plus £140 for my tyre so i wont be selling ruth just yet. Sorry to anyone who wanted to put a bid in.

Banshee
12-06-2004, 11:58 PM
doh, just like on e bay....

Julie
12-06-2004, 11:59 PM
£50!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Banshee
13-06-2004, 12:01 AM
you know me , im rich i pay over the odds :eek:

Paranoid Dave
13-06-2004, 12:05 AM
yeh but Ruth don't come that cheap.