PDA

View Full Version : Comfort on your Monster!

MilesB
06-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Hi

Just to let you know that you too can do serious miles on later models without the dreaded numb bum!

I found that the standard saddle on the M900ie Dark was good for about 50 miles, but after that I was beginning to suffer :( . There were some posts about 18 months ago on the old forum suggesting Corbin or Bum Wraps, but since then, Ducati advertised there own replacement gel saddle... although the photo in their catalogue was actually someone elses product :eek:

Anyway, in desperation, knowing that I do big miles on holiday, I ordered the Ducati Performance saddle from Spareshack in about June 2003. And waited.

And waited, and waited.

In september I went to Exmoor on holiday, employing a foam pad in the back of my jeans, which extended the comfort range to about 200 miles - and gave me a sweaty bum :(

And still I waited. It eventually turned up in January 2004... not very impressive delivery time for a genuine Ducati part :mad:

However, it was worth the wait :bunny: . Comfort is good, and it looks fantastic too! The paneled Matt finish nicely compliments the Dark colour of my bike. Pillion perch is apparently better too - although I've not tried it. Underseat storage is OK - I get a toolkit in - and it also has fold out luggage hooks, which is usefull.

Recomended.

Miles

slug
07-06-2004, 09:52 AM
The DP one looks like the Sargent Seat mentioned in another thread. I seem to remember that from Sargent there were a number of colour options and a chap in the states was selling them for £180-ish... I think he was also quoting short delivery times.

Melnie Mouse
07-06-2004, 12:50 PM
QUOTE 'Anyway, in desperation, knowing that I do big miles on holiday, I ordered the Ducati Performance saddle from Spareshack in about June 2003. And waited.

And waited, and waited.' END QUOTE

I'm afraid Ducati performance parts always take longer.. it's a nightmare, their parts are usually next day, but takes forever for even a simple t shirt to arrive!

Glad your seat is good though, I knew someone who had a Corbin seat who said it was lovely...

Chris
09-06-2004, 11:04 AM
What's wrong withthe old seat!!! Just got back of a 2500 mile trip with no numb bum!

MilesB
09-06-2004, 11:41 AM
2500 miles... No sense, No feeling? :eek:

Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age... That or I've got less built in padding :D

Seriously, I used to suffer. Maybe its the roads round here? The Monster's suspension has no problems, but muggins is bouncing :bunny: arround on top on some of the worst back roads!

Anyway, I forgot to mention the one small downside... Where the new saddle slots around the back of the tank, it does'nt fit as well as the original. Not a problem, except that the covering on the original saddle was stapled in place, and the staples rubbed against the paint on the tank, removing it. I suspect this is a problem on many bikes out there. Anyway, this is only a problem because the new saddle doesn't fit quite as snugly, allowing the worn patches to be visible... lovely flash of white spots on my otherwise immaculate Dark Monster :(

And to make it worse, I've asked at my two local Ducati dealerships, and both said Ducati don't do touch up paint for Dark bikes. :mad:

At the moment the white flashes are nattily covered by black insulating tape - which you don't notice if it's not pointed out, but it's not perfect :confused:

Any suggestions on touch up paints?