PDA

View Full Version : Join the Dark Side

MilesB
06-06-2004, 10:36 PM
OK I know I'm not the only one with an M900ie, but no-one else has re-posted so here goes...

I have the Dark version, purchased in September 2002 from On Yer Bike at £5300 - which was £1200 off list for a brand new bike, plus a not bad part exchange on the Triumph T-Bird Sport I was trading in - a very happy result for me.

I must admit that I had expected to get a pre-registered model on that deal, but I turned up (en route to the Isle of Man :cool: ) to find out that I was to have a latest - and last - model M900ie.

Comparison to the old M900?
Well I test rode a second hand one (fitted with Termigoni's :D ) and it was pretty good. None of the anticpated clutch natch that I'd been warned about.

The M900ie had a few differences:
Sidestand - no longer a suicide stand, as it now has a 'in gear' cut out as standard, so the bike can warm up with having to sit on it...
Handlebars - these are lower and more forward than on the older model... it was a surprise when I picked up the bike, but the position is about perfect for me, putting you in a semi-sporty position that can be held for long distances.

I have the Dark version - in Stealth Bomber black :cool: - which does mean the front forks don't adjust, and you get a Sachs rear shock... Despite this, this is the best handling bike I have ever ridden, even before I got Pro-Twins down at Caterham to adjust the shock for me. The high spec ones must be awesome.

Brakes are great - strong but progressive. However I did get a warped disc on the front. This was sorted under warranty at the first service.

Motor is fun, a bit agricultural if in too low a gear, but it does keep going, chug-chug-chug. Sounds great and does exactly what I want. If you want to overtake or accelerate, don't even bother with the gears, just grab a bigger handfull. Engine braking is usefull.

Gripes:
1) Sidestand. It just doesnt sit flat on the ground, and hence if the surface is even slightly soft will dig in. :mad: Come on Ducati, you've been making these things for 10 years, and you can't get that right?
2) Saddle. Good for 50 miles... after that, you need extra padding. I did 250 miles in a day last year (Kent to Exmoor), but only because I had a 1 inch thick pad of foam down the back of my trousers :eek: Solution to this was to get a replacement saddle from Ducati, who finally do a gel option. I ordered it through Spareshack in June 2003, to have it finally arrive just in time to miss Christmas - ie January 2004.

Result - Monster miles and smiles.