PDA

View Full Version : No light switch

Dribbley
03-06-2004, 03:33 PM
Just traded my S4 for S4R and find that it has no light switch. Headlamp on all the time just like a Volvo!
I prefer to use my lights when needed. Switching them on or flashing at the morons in their tin boxes makes them take more notice. If they are on all the time then I think that their brains sort of get used to the light and ignore it.

Anyone know if there is a quick fix for this. And don't say take the bulb out! :confused:

grunter
03-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Fit A Switch

Lowsider
03-06-2004, 09:54 PM
there is a reason for this..

In the not too distant future there will be a european law stating that all motorcycles must display a headlight lit at all times while in use.

As you said like volvos. This is because it is supposed to be safer according to europe...........

Don't you just love being part of the EU!!!

Dribbley
04-06-2004, 07:51 AM
I'd like to fit a switch........ but,

before pulling the wiring apart on my new baby, anyone know if Ducati have left the original switch wires in the loom so I could just fit an old type switch, or any ideas on the best place to hack into the loom.

Also, what happens to all that extra alternator output if the light is not on. Can modern Italian electrics get rid of it? :confused:

madhatter
04-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Serves you right for being a flash git and having such a great bike.....

I think if I had a S4R, I'd be too chuffed to worry about the headlight.

I tend to ride with mine on all the time anyway, as I still think you have a better chance of being noticed by the average tin box pilot, driving with a bag on his head.....of course that's also why I have the additional safety feature of loud cans.... :twisted:

JMo
04-06-2004, 10:58 PM
Ah, so ol' axe-murderer Dribbley can't go sneaking up on people at the dead of night (or leave the mistress' house in the early hours) without being spotted any more huh...?!

xxx

Flip's '03 DRZ had the same thing - think all new bikes are like this now...

I agree that I want to decide whether my light is on or off, not dictated by the bloody bureaucrats - but then as madhatter says, in reality, it's safer to have it on when you're on the road anyway.

I would imagine that the loom is still the same (there was just a blanking panel over the switch on Flip's DRZ) - unscrew the switch housing and take a look. Also, I'm can't imagine the alternator was uprated just for this, so the power output would be the same as a bike with or without it's headlight on.

You could always ask your dealer of course, but I bet they wouldn't know!

xxx

Duncan
05-06-2004, 07:39 AM
No pleasing some people is there?

For years people moan about the quality of switch gear on Italian bikes so they fit Japanese switches.
They still moan about the electrics so in a totally innovative way Ducati choose to remove the offending switches. Its brilliant, one less thing to go wrong, but you still cant plese em!!!!