PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slipping...

Shamus
03-06-2004, 07:31 AM
Hi Guys,

My clutch has started slipping on my 10 month old 620sie. It only obviously slips at about the 7000rpm mark when opening the throttle right up. The bike has only done 6000 miles...is this normal for the clutch to wear out so soon? I have spoken to my local dealer who says that if the problem is down to the plates (which they think is most likely although they will have to strip it down to be sure) then it will not be covered on the warranty. Anyone else had this problem and did you get anywhere on the warranty?

Shamus

Pedro
03-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Sounds a bit soon to me.

I know the 620 has a wet clutch - have you used car oil by mistake - this has adatives to make it more slippery and may scew up a bike clutch.

As for warranty, not sure but consumables are not generally covered....

Ped

Will
03-06-2004, 12:13 PM
I have done 13,300 miles on my 620 without a hint of clutch slip - there is a slight 'grabbiness' which gets worse as the oil temperature goes up - but no slip.

Will

slob
03-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Are you sure it's clutch slip? The first time i went out in the rain, I thought the clutch was slipping, it was the back tyre spinning-up if I opened the throttle too hard.

Shamus
03-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Ped...All oil changes have been done by the dealer so I would been mighty upset if they had been using car oil!

Slob...Its defo the clutch slipping - I've spun the rear a few times in the wet and have kacked me pants every time. This I can reproduce every time (without the kack) - Get the bike upto 95-100mph and then open the throttle as wide as it'll go revs will jump up to approx 8500rpm with no speed increase whatsoever.

Shamus.

Dark-Jon
03-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Hi Shamus

I've got an '02 620ie and its got the same problem with a little under 9000 miles on the clock. It does exactly the same thing, round town its fine, but give it a fist full and its like riding a rubber band bike!

I spoke to AK and he said Blufoot had the same problem on his bike and it turned out one of the clutch plates had broken apart, not worn. Apparently thats under warranty, but to find out they have to take the clutch apart, so make sure you've got the cash for a new clutch just in case it has worn :(

Mines been like it for a few months now, all I've found it does is slow me down some. I'm waiting to see if Ducati will do my flaky engine casing in which case they have to dismantle the engine and can see the state of the clutch anyway :D

Contact your dealer and see what they say, but there's no easy way to find out as far as I know (which aint to far :rolleyes: )

Dark-Jon :)

spacemonkey
03-06-2004, 05:44 PM
...and if they do take it apart and change it ask for the old plates back 'for inspection'. It should be obvious if they're pulling your rear limb...

Shamus
03-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks all for the replys...At least theres a glimmer of hope that it may be covered on the warranty. I think I was more concerned that I would have to have the clutch fixed every 6000 miles - luckily it would appear that this is not normal.

Shamus