PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Before I Snap Somthing !!!!!

peteS4
02-06-2004, 10:07 PM
i'm having real probs with my ride height bar......... cant free the bottom locking nut........... tried loads of wd40, tapped with hammer to try and free it, even cut sides off 2 spanners to try and get them in,.......... popped into on ya bike when passing and service manager just laughed and said good luck !!!!!!! is there a nack to this.......... really need to know......... i have a bad habit of snapping bolts so really dont want to twist the bar.......... or round off the nuts.................... cos no one wants rounded off nuts do they :eek:

Keabs
02-06-2004, 10:21 PM
You do know that the bottom adjuster is a clockwise thread don't you? i.e. it loosens off by turning clockwise . . . .

If you already knew that, then try turning the nuts the opposite direction as if to tighten. This sometimes helps free up a siezed thread. Alternatively, if you can, get some localised heat in the area - the two different metals will expand at different rates and will break the siezing. . .

A Yerbury
02-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Im 600 so I dont know what lock nuts u mean on s4? the rose joints on the loop? It is frustrating, I received (today) a new neutral switch as reconnecting and just plain getting to the old one was nighh on imposs, at least the new ones have the wires glued in as opposed to a female pin connector which exists ONLY in ducatis factory. Im still going to have to get a box spanner for this one wee jobbie tho..........

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Yep - usually a bit of heat applied to the area does the job, don't know how accessible it is for a blowtorch flame though as my 600 isn't that fancy either!

A Yerbury
02-06-2004, 10:28 PM
easy tiger! hairbrush might be enough? sorry hairdryer even......c'mon brain u can do it..........

Keabs
02-06-2004, 11:34 PM
Of course if you're looking to speed up the steering the first thing you could do is to up the preload. You'd want to do this anyway to take up the static sag. Go up one turn at a time until you get the feeling you need, as well as 5-10mm static sag at the rear. . .

madhatter
03-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi Ya Pete,

As well as fitting the new number plate last night, I also increased the ride height. Had the same probs as you that the locking nuts on the rose joints and the rose joints themselves were seized up. Took lots of WD40, warming with a hairdryer and tightening and loosening the nuts to get everything apart. Lots of TLC, WD40 and oil later, everything was allback together again and I have increased the ride-height by about 6mm at the Rose Joint (feels about right for me). The infamous nipples can be easily oiled with a standard oil can with the "little pointy spout". Also increased the pre-load by two "clicks". Haven't tested the handling yet, hope to have a blast at the week-end.