PDA

View Full Version : Viper Replacement Cans

madhatter
02-06-2004, 07:58 AM
I am thinking about replacing the standard factory low level cans on my 750 Monster with a set of replacement low level slip on Viper Cans from Spareshack (polished round cans, you can see them on the website).

Stuart says he has sold these to several UK Monster members and has never had any feedback regarding problems with their running.

Has anyone out there fitted these and can they give me any positive or negative feedback please. :confused:

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Yep - I fitted them (although I had to take 'em off recently so that I could get the bike through the MOT).

They sound fantastic, bloody loud especially on the over-run.

Fitting was not really a bother but you have to make sure that you get the connection pipes just right otherwise one will stick out at a different angle to the other.

they're a bit wide (on reflection I would have preferred ovals to round) but I have no complaints and got them for a reasonable price from someone here on the UKMOC site - cheers Colinc if you're still around.

madhatter
02-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks Nik The Brief,

So I assume that other than the most critical requirement, of being able to blow-over old ladies with shopping trollies as you thunder pass them, the overall running of the bike at low speed/revs, mid range torque and top end (yippee...hang on) was not affected or noticeable by you. :D

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Oh you want a 'technical' reply. Sorry can't do them.

Actually very little noticeable difference, maybe a little more top end grunt (hard to tell on my restricted 600). Slightly smoother through the whole rev range and a bit less engine braking perhaps. Didn't run as rich with the better breathing either judging by the colour of the plugs.

Differences were really too small to say - but the sound - glorious - especially through town and under tunnels. Loads of disapproving looks from the little old ladies as they stood up and brushed the dirt off their frocks.

Never had a problem with plod (but I think that was luck and the fact that most coppers seem to expect Dukes to sound 'fruity'). They have got - 'For competition use only' stamped on the back though so it's hard to deny knowledge that you shouldn't be using them on the road. :D

madhatter
10-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the Technical reply, what year is your 620? My 750 is a '97 so I'm still hoping that everything should fit without making me want to throw things about.

The Insurance company have agreed to pay up for the damage caused, bankers draft should clear in my account in 5 days and it looks like the Viper Cans will be on my shopping list.

I'll let you know if I have any hair ripping out episodes. ;)

nik_the_brief
10-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Mine's a '96 carb'd 600 not a 620ie so I can't really comment specifically.

The end cans are attached to the downpipes using a further adapting pipe which is angled to allow (in theory) them to marry up without problems. The reality was that there was a lot of 'offering up' and loud cursing 'til I got it right. I assume that the pipes have different adaptor pipes (for want of a better description) to suit the variances between the models.

Hope this helps.

doobie
16-06-2004, 11:18 AM
I just wonded if anyone had try the baffels as well

Zimbo
17-06-2004, 09:18 PM
I had a pair of oval viper cans on a ZZR600 I owned last year. I thought they were pretty good value, at £198 the pair including stainless connecting pipes and clamps. As above i had to take some time to get them to line up correctly, but once done they were good. Well made, stainless internals and ends, stainless connecting pipework, the alloy does mark easily but that's the same for all alloy cans. Sounded good, nice deep tone, not unpleasantly loud, very free breathing. The mounting bolts supplied were a bit cheap, but brackets were ok.

madhatter
18-06-2004, 08:45 AM
I was searching the web for more info on Viper cans and found the following website: http://www.slickbiker.com/Slickbiker/Workshop/viper-general.htm

They advertise the baffles as; "Baffle kits. Fit all Viper cans, easy to install & remove, comes with BS stamp £19.00". :eek:

I thought these were race cans, stamped as race use only and that the baffles did not make them road legal, :confused: confusing or what???

Any comments from other members or Spareshack Stuart?