PDA

View Full Version : Sprockets and chains - advice please

nik_the_brief
01-06-2004, 09:00 PM
:confused: Having done a little research into the above I am even more confused than when I started.

My M600 lost it's front sprocket and I believe that it is recommended that the sprockets are both replaced along with the chain.

I know that a 15 tooth front sprocket and a 38 tooth rear is needed and that the chain needs to be a 98 link chain.

What I don't know is where the best place to source these would be. Is it best to buy a kit with all three parts or to try and get them separately?

Also I'm not sure about this X ring or O ring thing. I believe that X rings are better (and presumably more expensive).

I ride my bike daily and so the lifespan of these parts is important to me, is there anything that should be recommended to me. (Yeah I know about a Scottoiler and will get round to that).

In the meantime I'm desperate to get back up and running as I only have my wife's car until the beginning of next week when she goes back to school runs etc. Thinking of just getting a front sprocket to limp along for a short while - is this a good idea or not?

Your help is (as always) much appreciated people.

Zimbo
01-06-2004, 09:36 PM
Most people recommend replacing both sprockets with the chain. This removes the possibility of a part worn sprocket accelerating wear on the new chain. In practice the rear sprocket wears far more slowly than the front sprocket, and you will usually get away with changing the rear sprocket less frequently. For peace of mind though, and particularly as you can often get a good deal on chain and sprocket kits, you might as well do the lot at once.

On to choice of chain.
O-ring and X-ring chains will both work fine. The difference between them is in the rubber o-ring between the rollers and end plates of each link. The purpose of this ring is to keep lubricant in the wearing point of the roller / pin, and to stop contaminants from getting in. The o-ring has a round cross section profile, and the x-ring an x shaped cross section profile. The x shape has two sealing points against the o shape's one, and is therefore more effective at it's job, thus generally extending chain life. As a bonus, x-ring chains often come in a nice gold colour rather than black.
So, where to buy?? I use Busters (http://www.busters-online.co.uk/Busters.htm) they do x-ring gold chain and sprocket kits for £85, and I get my local bike shop to fit the chain (needs special tools) after I've changed the sprockets myself. Ring your local bike place for a price as well, or perhaps someone on here can suggest a good supplier??

NattyBoy
01-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Nik

I have brand new genuin ducati 15T (standard) and 14T (better acceleration) front sprockets for £12 each, and I also have a brand new ducati c&s kit (Pedro has it at the moment but it doesnt fit his M900). Pedros dropping it back to me tommorrow, but I know he looked into gearing...have a chat with him and if it will fit your bike, ill let you have it for a steal :D

Cheers
Nat

DavidT
01-06-2004, 10:04 PM
I have just recently fitted a new DID x-ring chain and Renthal sprockets to my 900 at a cost of about £100 from Demon Tweaks. I am quite impressed at the quality of fit of the sprockets and the care in the detail in manufacture - all the edges are proprly de-burred and the retaining plate screw holes are the correct M4 instead of the M6 of the other pattern parts I have used. I always thought that the boss on the pattern (JT?) should have been reduced like it is on the original parts to keep the weight down.

Nigel C
01-06-2004, 10:05 PM
AFAM chains and sprockets Rossi use them apparently ooh and they come in Yellow :D and Red :rolleyes: if you must

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 08:48 AM
Cheers guys, much appreciated.

I've decided to replace both sprockets and the chain so am looking for a kit, Natty Boy if that c&s set fits mine I'd definately want it from you.

Going to the garage to degunk the whole area this evening and have a good look to make sure that I've not sustained any further damage when the sprocket let go. :eek:

NattyBoy
02-06-2004, 08:57 AM
OK Nik..just left Pedro a message to get a run down on the sprocket sizes on that kit...I would imagne yours runs on a 15 tooth front sprocket, but can you count the teeth on the rear sprocket for me....

Cheers
Nat

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 09:02 AM
yep, think mine's 15 on the front and 38 on the rear (not bothered if it's a 40 rear though as I believe that's the same as dropping to a 14 on the front).

Just ordered a new front sprocket from the dealers (to limp around on til I replace the whole set) and a retaining plate which will arrive on Friday (fingers crossed) so I can at least get up and running again until I get the chance to replace the lot.

NattyBoy
02-06-2004, 09:26 AM
CANCEL THE ORDER FOR THE SPROCKET NIK !!! Dont know what you paid but I can do the genuine ones for £12.50 including p&p which includes a new retaining clip.

Give me the nod and ill get one in the post later...

Cheers
Nat

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Cheers Natty - will get back to you in ten minutes or so. Can I phone to save time (you can PM your number to me)

Cheers mate

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 09:39 AM
Stick the front sprocket in the post please Natty - I'll PM you with my address.

I'll send you a cheque today if you give me your details - you're a lifesaver!

gary tompkins
02-06-2004, 12:58 PM
yep, think mine's 15 on the front and 38 on the rear (not bothered if it's a 40 rear though as I believe that's the same as dropping to a 14 on the front).

Just ordered a new front sprocket from the dealers (to limp around on til I replace the whole set) and a retaining plate which will arrive on Friday (fingers crossed) so I can at least get up and running again until I get the chance to replace the lot.

Nik,

Sounds like someones messed with the final drive ratio on your bike, as the 38 tooth rear cog's called up (as standard) for M900's. My own early M600 (M plated '95 - which I thinks the same as yours) had a 15/43 final drive.

I was stitched up by this once, when MPS supplied the wrong chain (2 links too short) with a sprocket set I attempted to fit one May bank holiday. I didn't spot the chain was too short until after I'd cut the old one off , and as it was BH Monday everything was shut. I ended up buying an overlength 520 chain from a local shop on the Tuesday, and chopping it to suit. Needless to say MPS were not my favourite parts supplier after waiting weeks for a refund - what cock up :mad:

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 01:08 PM
thanks Gary - I've not counted the teeth on the rear (and haven't got he front one to look at!) just guessed from Haynes book of lies. Will check later!

Will
02-06-2004, 08:53 PM
This sounds all very complicated - The stress free solution is to phone you nearest Ducati dealer get him to order the standard chainset kit for your bike - normally takes about 48 hours from Ducati UK - arrange time for dealer to fit said parts - normally takes 1 hour max - take bike to dealer - have cup of coffee whilst you wait - pay dealer loads of money - ride away happy :burnout:

Will

Will
02-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Oh forgot to mention - changed my original set 12,000 miles from new - they would have lastest for much longer but I wanted shiny new parts - there are loads of alternatives but the original ducati stuff does seem to last extremely well

Will

Pedro
02-06-2004, 09:29 PM
This sounds all very complicated - The stress free solution is to phone you nearest Ducati dealer get him to order the standard chainset kit for your bike - normally takes about 48 hours from Ducati UK - arrange time for dealer to fit said parts - normally takes 1 hour max - take bike to dealer - have cup of coffee whilst you wait - pay dealer loads of money - ride away happy :burnout:

Will

Sounds easy but would you really want to pay a dealer about £150 plus labour?

I think not!

Ped

Muttley
02-06-2004, 09:52 PM
Nik my '99 M600 uses a 15/43 as well as Garys, but i'm sure Doug DRC's 600 which is a bit older has a smaller back sprocket. Doug has just changed his so he might still remember what they are!

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Mine's an ancient '96 model so I'd better go to the garage tomorrow and count 'em for meself.

Cheers Muttley! :D

gary tompkins
02-06-2004, 11:15 PM
take bike to dealer - have cup of coffee whilst you wait - pay dealer loads of money - ride away happy :burnout:

Will

.... and very skint :rolleyes:

Last time I did a chain swap it took just under 2 hours, and only cost me the price of the chain and sprocket kit, as I already had a link splitting/rivetting tool. Will be doing the same when the new 900's chain eventually needs doing (14000 miles and still counting) thanks to Scottoiler :D

Will
03-06-2004, 07:59 AM
My comments about getting the dealer to do the chainset replacement were slightly tongue in cheek - ;) it is not cheap, but it does get the job done fast.

I don't have the right tools for the job and if I had to buy them, the whole business of changing the sprockets and chain myself would have been more expensive than getting the dealer to do it - plus my life would be shortened by about week due to all the hassle :(

I must be getting old because I prefer riding to serious fettling these days! I don't mind spending 4 hours washing, cleaning and polishing the bike though :lol:

Will

Will
03-06-2004, 08:03 AM
On a more technical note - is the front sprocket supposed to have a few millimeters of float along the axis of the drive shaft? I guess it should, in order to allow for imperfect alignment of the chain and sprockets but can anyone confirm how much float there should be?

Will

nik_the_brief
03-06-2004, 03:59 PM
yep Gary - cheers - 43 teeth on the back. Glad you told me that!!

HUNTER
05-06-2004, 10:33 AM
I've just gone through the same process. I couldn't find the info I needed so off to the dealer $$$$$$. All sorted However I was asked to take the bike back after 120 - 150 miles for them to check the chain. It loosens off as it breaks in.

JMo
08-06-2004, 09:08 PM
If you want to fit the chain and sprockets yourself, you can always ask the supplier to join the chain up for you beforehand (just make sure you count the number of links properly, and that they do too!) - since the swingarm bolts to the back of the engine, and there is no frame in the way, you can remove the old chain/put the new chain on without needing a chain breaker... you'll need a paddock stand as you have to remove the rear wheel - but then you have to anyway to put the rear sprocket on of course...

Oh, and remember to put the new chain around the leg of the paddock stand before you lift the bike and remove the rear wheel - we nearly didn't didn't we Flip?!

xxx