PDA

View Full Version : Front sprocket

nik_the_brief
01-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Have you ever lost one at 80mph?

I have - a most scary experience don't try it for yourself.

I have to buy and fit a new one - any technical bods know if I have to remove the wheel to replace it or can I just shift it forward as far as possible to squeeze the sprocket on and fit the chain around it?

DavidT
01-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Do you know what happened - had the retaining plate come loose or worn through?
You might be able to fit the front sprocket by moving the wheel forward, but I would suggest that taking the wheel off will probably be quicker than guddling about.

Zimbo
01-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Or, you could fit the new sprocket into the chain first, before offering it up to the drive shaft??? You won't need to touch the rear wheel at all then!
You might need to move the clutch slave cylinder to get it on there if you are fitting the standard 15 tooth sprocket, it's easy to do, but if you go for a 14 tooth sprocket for smoother starts and better acceleration it should fit without having to move the clutch slave cylinder either.
At least, that's true of my 900 ...

Pedro
01-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Nik

for safety's sake, take out the wheel and check the sprocket isn't damaged. Also worth checking the chain didn't get damaged - better safe than sorry. Whilst you're checking stuff, clean off all the chain lube from the engine cases round the front sprocket and check for damage there too (I think Blufoot had a chain punch a hole when it let loose).

I'm a little puzzled as to how the sprocket actually came off because I didn't think there was enough clearance under the cover from the end of the shaft. Maybe it split in two???

Ped

pooh
01-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Nik
I know its probably not what you want to hear but personally I would change the back sprocket and chain at the same time as it is not really good practice to change individual sprockets without the full set. Obviously there is a cost implication but its well worth it also it gives you a chance to change ratio's if you want.

Ian

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 08:45 AM
Guys, as always you're a fount of great information. I've decided to replace both sprockets and the chain in one go for safety's sake as suggested.

Pedro - Natty Boy mentioned on another thread of mine that you had a sprocket and chain set that wasn't right for your 900 but may be for my 600. Would it fit mine do ya think? :confused:

Pedro
02-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Guys, as always you're a fount of great information. I've decided to replace both sprockets and the chain in one go for safety's sake as suggested.

Pedro - Natty Boy mentioned on another thread of mine that you had a sprocket and chain set that wasn't right for your 900 but may be for my 600. Would it fit mine do ya think? :confused:

Nik

it should fit with a 14 tooth front sprocket - Nat has one I think. I'll be dropping it off to him friday.

Ped

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Cheers Ped, I'd appreciate that.

Hoping to get the chance to fit a new front sprocket and retaining plate to limp along on until I get the chance to fit the whole set.

NattyBoy
02-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Nik

As per PM..new 15T sprocket and retaining clip on its way..just popping down the post office now. As Pedro sez..were pretty confident the ducati chain & sprocket kit will fit, if I substitute the 15T sprocket in the box for a 14T.

The list on the ducati kit is £141.66 (ouch!!) and is very good quality according to Ped (DID manufactured I think he said)...ive just PM's you a very tasty price !!!

Cheers
Nat

nik_the_brief
02-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Phew - was down the garage with a can of Gunk this evening. No damage to the crankcase. Broken bit of sprocket cover but that's only a fiver from Ducati Ashford (unless I want to splash out £35 on a carbon fibre one).

Breathing a sigh of relief now and drinking large quantities of vodka to celebrate!! :D