PDA

View Full Version : Kylie grows up

Paranoid Dave
30-05-2004, 02:56 PM
I been thinking over the last few months/years that perhaps Kylie should grow up a bit. Possibly making use of a 750 or even 900 engine. :eek:
Other things on my mind include swapping the steel swinger for a lighter one but with one mod comes another in my experience. Remember she's originally an M600 DARK so at the moment she has non adjustable forks and shock, single disk at the front, a single brake reservoir and both that and clutch reservoir are built-in units on the bars.
I know the 900 is a wider rear wheel and although the swinger will fit 900/750/600 does this mean the wheel will have to change to suit - the american 900 ran a 160 rear like I have now?
I'm just looking for advice here on which bit's I'd have to change or you'd recommend changing along with the engine, and different ways it could be done?

All this is hyperthetical at the moment but you know how my brain works :twisted: It could turn into a project at some point but before then I need to have a good idea of what i'd chnage, then source out, pay for etc.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

A Yerbury
30-05-2004, 03:04 PM
hmm, thought about that myself but I think Ive spent enough on the 600, goodridge on the back and some of stu's carbon sides being the last 100 squids, think Ill save up for a 250 trail for greenlaning in france and winter use! Im sure you'll keep us posted on lumpy upgrade and I ll look 4ward to reading about it!
Alex.

Paranoid Dave
30-05-2004, 06:24 PM
I think Ive spent enough on the 600

I know the feeling :rolleyes: I dread to thin how much she's cost me in the past few years. :D :twisted:

M900Dom
30-05-2004, 06:48 PM
You would definately need the twin front discs.
If I was doing another one, I would be tempted to put a 999 swinger and wheel in, they look gorgeous in black with the semi-banana arm.
I know someone who has got an Alloy rear Swinger for sale if you really want to do it Dave ?
You could run it with the smaller rear rim.

I would put your efforts into sorting the suspension and brakes first, you will get greater rewards with less hassle (Including insurance) than swapping engines.

Decent rear shock, Racetech internals in your forks... Black anodised tubes with Ti-Nitride sliders :cool: Trick as you like, and a twin disc set up, if you want it quicker then go and do a Race school, far more benefit than another 10hp IMHO
HTH
Dom
PS Check the link I emailed you again, I`ve updated it since last time ;)

Byron Kauffman
30-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Dave;
My bike was a 2000 750 Dark carbureted and I did most of what you are asking about. I paid $1500. for a 1996 900SP motor and sold my 750 for $1000. I bought a 851 Swingarm and sold my steel unit for $100. The internal dimensions on the swingarms are the same so the narrow wheel will work. I ran my 4.5" wheel until I added the 5.5" wire spokes. It all bolts right up, the frame is the same. The only custom work was the 96 wiring on the motor used different connectors than the 2000 so I had to put on new ends. Other than that the swap is very easy. If you sell off your spare stock parts as you go you can do the build on the cheap. Before I put the wire wheels on my bike I had less than US$6000. total in a now 2000 900 Monster (the new wheels kind of hurt that number by a few thousand.) The work is pretty easy and cheap if you dont pay a shop to do it. You seem to have plenty of people on this forum that have built their own bikes so help cant be far away. If you supply a room and beer I will come over and help you build it (a girl wouldnt hurt either). Even if she does hurt I will take her.

spacemonkey
30-05-2004, 11:54 PM
That's the ticket!!
However I would note that it states above that Byron is a 'Registered User' so I'd lock your medicine cabinet first...

A Yerbury
31-05-2004, 12:14 AM
"I will take her!" all a bit Brian Blessed for a Sunday evening.

Byron Kauffman
31-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the "Kind" words Space.
I am heading out tuesday for a 1000 mile ride on the Monster so I may just be a "registered user" by the time I get back.

eonan
07-04-2006, 03:32 PM
Just ignore this post...can't seem to be able to delete it?