PDA

View Full Version : adjusting the reach of gear selector

DesmoDog
29-05-2004, 01:52 PM
If thats the right way to describe it?

I've just bought a 98 M600 (thnks Mr. Kippa) and the gear select peg is set very short and high, so short and high in fact that I'm changing gear withthe top of my foot and the drive back from Huddersfield has left me with the top of my foot briused.

So bleating aside - how easy is it to change the reach? I remember instructions in the last bike's manual but I don't have that now :confused: Any guidance anyone?

Pedro
29-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Should be easy to adjust:

Slacken the pinch bolt on the arm on the gearbox shaft so you can slide it off. Then just rotate it a little at a time till the lever is set at a suitable height. For fine tuning, adjust the length of the link rod.

Two points to think about though:

It's a good idea to mark the original position of the arm before moving it.

The angles between the arm and link rod should be at 90 degrees if possible - to far away from 90 and it may not work so well.

Hope this helps

Ped

DesmoDog
29-05-2004, 04:20 PM
Cheers Ped, I'll take a look - Given the height of the change I'm guessing it's off the 90 degree anyway.

DesmoDog
17-06-2004, 09:20 AM
Well,

Having taken all the good advice on board (Thanks Ped, and Tiger Lilly on a different thread) I now realise that while it is an easy job, I have no clue as to what a pinch bolt is (or a spline, but that's from someone else).

Is the gear box shaft the alloy rod that joins lever to gearbox? Or am I looking at the wrong place?

I don't suppose anyone can be arsed to take a digital photo or scan their manual page in can they?

Should be easy to adjust:

Slacken the pinch bolt on the arm on the gearbox shaft so you can slide it off. Then just rotate it a little at a time till the lever is set at a suitable height. For fine tuning, adjust the length of the link rod.

Two points to think about though:

It's a good idea to mark the original position of the arm before moving it.

The angles between the arm and link rod should be at 90 degrees if possible - to far away from 90 and it may not work so well.

I really, really should get on to that motorcycle maintenance course at my local tech, this is doing my head in.

steviej
17-06-2004, 09:37 AM
Here you go Karl...............hope this helps. You have to remove the bolt fully, just slackening it off is no good. (It sits in a 'groove' on the shaft.)

Tigerlily
17-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Beaten to it again! I was going to post a photo of that too :p

Hint....Rabbit found it easier to take the bolt all the out, rather than just loosening it off :)

Damn it you've edited your post and done it to me again stevie!!!!!

Shandy
17-06-2004, 09:49 AM
One thing to watch out for i found when adjusting mine, if you adjust it too far down on the link rod the gear shift clashes with the side stand which then wont go up or down :( . Good luck with it.

steviej
17-06-2004, 09:55 AM
Beaten to it again! I was going to post a photo of that too :p

Hint....Rabbit found it easier to take the bolt all the out, rather than just loosening it off :)

Danm it you've edited your post and done it to me again stevie!!!!!

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :twisted:

DesmoDog
17-06-2004, 10:06 AM
Stevie, Tigerlilly, Shandy - you're all stars!! So's Ped, just I'm crap at this sort of thing.

DesmoDog
18-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Thanks again everyone,

did it last night with minimal cursing (I was only doing that because I was wedged twixt bike and pile of rubbish in garage and I'd just come back from watching the match).

One thing though - wouldn't you think they'd put the bolt head on the OTHER side of the pinch nut? Then it wouldn't be obstructed by the engine casing!!!

Anyway, I managed to get the selector to a much more comfortable postition and I can now easily select neutral - as soon as it stop s raining I'm going to take her out for a rumble to see how it feels on the road.

Downside is I've discovered that the pedal itself is bent, so I'm now sure the bikes been dropped at some stage. Bummer.

One thing to watch out for i found when adjusting mine, if you adjust it too far down on the link rod the gear shift clashes with the side stand which then wont go up or down :( . Good luck with it.

Yeah, I did that too :rolleyes: Thanks again for all the help. Just got to fit my new mounting brackets and carbon cowl now! Woohoo.

Duncan
18-06-2004, 09:46 AM
You might be better off taking a sterilised hacksaw blade and sawing your toes off. That way theres loads of space to change gear with your club foot and you dont get frostbite in winter.
They also taste quite nice fried with some of the left over Canton sauce from a Chinky meal.

DesmoDog
18-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Ok, I'll do it now - Wait a minute! That's a joke isn't it? Bloody hell! TAXI!

steviej
18-06-2004, 10:22 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :eek: