PDA

View Full Version : help needed - best route to Ft William

Gizmo
28-05-2004, 04:13 PM
Ok, I'm off to Ft William next Thursday for the Mountain Bike Downhill World Cup event and am trying to find the best bike route.

In my van I usually go up M74, through Glasgow then alongside Loch Lomond which I always think has great views but way too much traffic and a poor road surface as well and maybe isn't the best biking route.

I've also taken a different route up towards Stirling on M73/M9 then onto the A84 towards Callendar then A85. it was slower in my V dub van and involved more motorway miles but the A roads after that seemed better surfaced and with lighter traffic and possibly better for the Monster. Either way I want to end up at Crianlarich and do the A82 which I've been promising to do on a bike for a while.

Can anyone suggest any alternatives to get from south of Glasgow to Crianlarich or say whether its better to do A82 Loch Lomond or A84?? Id prefer to avoid built up areas and nice twisties is better but its got to be fairly direct as I have a meeting to get to and much as I'd like to spend all day riding I can't.

I won't have bags or panniers, our race truck is carrying all my kit so can scratch happily :D

Thanks

Michael

DavidT
29-05-2004, 10:06 AM
If you cut through Glasgow and follow your normal route along Loch Lomond to Tarbet, but instead of turning right on to the Crianlarich road stay on the A83 signposted Arrochar and Inveraray. At Inveraray you can turn right up Glen Aray (A819)which takes you along Loch Awe side. This joins the A85 near Dalmally where you can turn left for Oban. Turn over the Connel bridge on to the A828 for Ballachulish at the North end of Glen Coe. You have then only got the short but busy stretch to Fort William.

For a slightly longer run if you carry straight on at Inveraray to Lochgilphead you can go from there to Oban and pick up the road at Connel the same.

Have fun and hope the weather improves for the week - its pretty dreich in Argyll right now!

Gizmo
29-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks David.

I quite like the A82 after Crianlarich which is what I promised myself I'd take Monster up for although I guess the 750 wont be quick enough on it. I'll check the map, a more twisty way could be better.

I hope the weather does inprove but if not it'll get wet for the first time.

Thanks again

berto
30-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Yeah David is bang on there...remember to pop into Ducati Glasgow on Gt Western Rd its on your way and free coffee toot toot..... ;)

Gizmo
31-05-2004, 08:45 AM
Will it take much longer than going up the A82?? Looks a lot better run with what should be some stunning scenery and less traffic. I can always come back through Glen Coe or if I'm pushed for time going up maybe come back that way.

Which junction off M8 is Ducati Glasgow?? Don't know if I'll be able to stop on way up but maybe way back depending upon which day I head home.

Ta

brewhaha
31-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Its Junction 17, the Dumbarton turn-off. Take a right at the lights and the road sweeps left then Ducati Glagow is on the right beside a bus stop.