PDA

View Full Version : nipples

netstar
27-05-2004, 10:25 PM
Just a thought but there must be a way of bleeding the brake/clutch without all that farting about!!! are there bleed nipples that can be attached further up? This would be a great advantage to bleeding the clutch as the air just gravitates back up the bloody pipe!!! managed to do both clutch and back brake today as had the same prob as gary with the rear sticking on....and the clutch fluid had so much water in it it looked green! Jx ;)

M900Dom
31-05-2004, 08:30 AM
You can replace the Banjo bolts.
You need to by a Banjo bolt with a Bleed nipple in the end, very similar to the one on the clutch slave cylinder.
these are available from Goodrich, aeroquip, demon tweeks, m&P etc.

Either that or just leave a cable tie on the front brake overnight, it will be alright in the morning ;) :D

HTH
Dom

A Yerbury
31-05-2004, 01:11 PM
just bought an easy bleed kit, took about 5 mins each. Essentially a simple valve you can pump merrilly away at so long as the reservoir does not get too low obviously. I too was convinced that the air kept rising but the diam of the lines is narrow, the fluid viscous and there is pressure both above and below.

netstar
01-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the info on this thread... after doing all that bleeding I took the bbk for a spin round N wales..... the clutch fluid has turned black again... this is rather strange and I hope that no damage is being done. The clutch does make a sort of farting noise when releasing slowly in first gear!!! :eek:

netstar
01-06-2004, 09:12 AM
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/4741..... talking about farting my son found this site!!!!! Get the celebs to pull funny faces.

Nigel C
01-06-2004, 09:47 AM
Don't worry about the clutch fluid going black it's not a problem just a bit of that Ducati "Character" :rolleyes:

A Yerbury
01-06-2004, 06:03 PM
"dirty" oil "dirty" hydraulic fuid?! what is it with you gals? ex girlfriend of mine once scrubbed the bilges of her narrow boat with 2 litres of fairy because the nice protective oil and grime where "dirty" ;)

netstar
01-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Yes well wot can I say... we want clean bikes? that's why was goin to fit a scotoiler

spacemonkey
03-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Ooops, I truly believe your pushrod is spinning with the clutch. Graunchy noise when letting out clutch? When your really giving it some does the clutch lever flap about and feel very spongy? The pushrod sits in a roller cage bearing in the clutch side and this can wear the pushrod (pictures etc in the Haynes Book of Lies) and eventually the pushrod sticks and thus spins with the clutch. This spins on the slave cylinder piston generating a great deal of heat which boils the clutch fluid. This causes blackening and will make it feel spongy and it looks like it has grey sludgy oil in it. This wear ridge in the pushrod can make it difficult to remove from the engine as it catches inside. If it doesn't come out easily from the slave side, then you should take off the clutch plate so that you can see the right hand side of the pushrod and give it a bloody big clout from the slave side until it comes out. It might take the roller bearing with it. The roller bearing I can't remember the price for, but the tiny oil seal that sits on it (and is very important) is £10!!! Pushrods are about £20 odd.

Good luck!

netstar
05-06-2004, 02:27 PM
Wow !!!! thanks so much.... is any damage being done if I do nothing??? J x

Pedro
05-06-2004, 03:42 PM
Wow !!!! thanks so much.... is any damage being done if I do nothing??? J x

Errr, probably....

Spacey is spot on - the clutch thrust bearing in the pressure plate seized on my 900 so the pushrod spun - this then caused the piston in the slave cylinder to "pick up" where the push rod locates - result? One knackered clutch slave cylinder.

The bearing is cheap so worth checking out

Ped

spacemonkey
05-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Agree with Pedders, but I mean the caged roller bearing and seal that lives in the main shaft of the gearbox that the pushrod appears to live in when viewed from the clutch side. As he says, the spinning will knacker the slave in time as it will eventually give in and spin itself thus ripping its own seals to pieces in the process. Then you will have clutch fluid all over the gearbox sprocket and chain, and not a lot of paint, as me and Ped know. The best thing to do if this happens to you is to contact Nattyboy's Independant Traders (offices in New York, Paris and Swindon) and purchase a 996/748 etc slave cylinder as this is a marked improvement on the old design. You will need a longer pushrod though, but as yours is probably knacked you're gonna need this anyway. Along with the two afore mentioned bearings... Aren't Ducatis fun?

netstar
06-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Well the pushrod is fine... so now I am wondering if it's the slave cylinder thats fecked? not sure if it's going to be that simple to find out tho? any thoughts on that peeps? J x... There is a longer pushrod in the garage not sure wot duke it's off .... poss change slave for 996/748 as you suggest.

spacemonkey
07-06-2004, 08:56 PM
Have a peek at the end of the pushrod and the piston face of the slave. Does it look blued or polished/pitted? If it doesn't then all might be well and you can just ignore me like everyone else does. Does the clutch bearing seem fine too?

Pedro
07-06-2004, 10:26 PM
Spaceys right - check the little caged roller in the end of the shaft. These get gummed up with clutch dust so may need a squirt of something the clear the sh*t out. If it looks ok once cleaned then stuff it with grease prior to reassembling.

If you do swap the slave cylinder, you need the 748/998 push rod too - about £25 from Doooocaaaateeeee!

Pedders

netstar
08-06-2004, 09:09 PM
Pushrod looked fine.....will look into other areas!!! Nite peeps too hot to sit here!!! Jx