PDA

View Full Version : Belt (final) drive

Dave Pearson
26-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Hi all, I don't know if this topic may have been discussed before, but does anyone know if there is a conversion to belt (final) drive available for Monsters?

I notice that a lot of (all?) Buells have them fitted, so they must be fairly robust. Anyone have any thoughts on the pro's and con's of belt drives.

I wouldn't consider doing it to my monster until the warranty has expired, but it does have the appeal of saving weight etc......

Dave

Paranoid Dave
27-05-2004, 05:45 PM
All buells have them as standard but some do convert to chain drive. they should last a lot longer than any chain (even ones with scotoilers J&R ;) ) and as they don't need oiling, they are cleaner because of it. Only problem is unless they are perfectly aligned they can rub on the pulleys and frey, hence the nickname of the new buell freybelt (firebolt) also called direbolt and furball.
Stones are also the cause of problems as if one gets in the pulley.... :eek:
don't forget that the pulley is about 5 times wider than the chain and sprocket set so dunno how it would go. Sure some engineer could bodge a fitting but pros and cons are about the same if you ask me.

Is it worth it. Would look bloody nice tho. :D

Dave Pearson
27-05-2004, 07:14 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for your thoughts. It's interesting that some people are converting back to chain. Not a cheap or easy task, so I wonder why? Probably just personal preference I guess.
I see what you mean about alignment and stones in the pulley's being a problem, I would imagine that the alignment would probably be the biggest belt killer.
I have a mate in Salisbury who is an engineer, and he also has a Buell, I can feel a visit coming on :burnout:

Now where is that vernier..................?

Dave

gary tompkins
31-05-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for your thoughts. It's interesting that some people are converting back to chain. Not a cheap or easy task, so I wonder why? Probably just personal preference I guess.
Dave

Another reason could be an urge to play around with the final drive ratio, which is a lot easier and cheaper to do with a conventional chain and sprockets than a belt drive.

Like PD I've also heard of both Buells and Harleys snapping belts for various reasons, such as bad riding or maintanance, and small stones becoming embedded in the soft alloy of the rear pully.

Paranoid Dave
31-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Another reason could be an urge to play around with the final drive ratio, which is a lot easier and cheaper to do with a conventional chain and sprockets than a belt drive.

Not that it's of much use but the rear pulley on a Buell is quite large, the simple swap is to get hold of the rear pulley from an 883 sporster which is a few teeth less i believe and swap. Still apain tho.

snakey
01-06-2004, 07:43 AM
as I see it is, apart from the reasons given above, is that when you need to change the belt the swinging arm has to come out to allow fitment over the front pully - a right pain in the arse with no center stand, because a padock stand would be useless in this situation.

Pete.