PDA

View Full Version : Bits and Bobs

Yellow 97
25-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Hi i've recently become the proud owner off a yellow 97 600 monster, i purchased it with 1400 miles on the clock yep 1400 miles, this is my first ducati so been getting to know it over the past 600 miles that i've done so far. Couple of thank yous first one to the guy that parks near me for leaving details of the owners club, and the other one to the guy on a yellow monster who waved to me near farringdon (london) it made my wifes day she'd never seen another motorcyclist wave just because they had the same colour and make of bike. Here goes sorry for waffling....The bike has been running fine but after 600 miles a change of plugs (iridium now fitted)was needed i've checked and its running rich with a touch of ignition timing adjustment needed

So my first question is does anyone know a good independant garage for a service around london south area?

Second Question i've been thinking of getting a few mods like aftermarket exhausts, dynojet and free flow air filter are there any do's, don't or steer clear of that anyone can help me with.

The bike is ultimatley for my wife when she passes her test and i'm hooked to monsters now so my next one hopefully will be the S4R .Don't suppose you need to know that but thought i'd let you know anyway

Hoping some peeps can help me on my way

Dave

spacemonkey
27-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I really hope that you have had the cambelts done. They MUST be done every 12000miles or two years whichever comes first without exception. A bike like yours that has obviously been sat for ages is courting disaster if they haven't been done. Don't risk believing previous owners unles you have receipts or can contact the garage that did it. If they haven't been done in the last two years, then get it done pronto!

Now that's out the way...... Mine soots the plugs a little around London, what it needs is a damn good blast on the open road, having the tits thrashed off it (but only if the cambelts have been done etc...). I would whole heartedly recommend a loud pipe and stage 2 K&N. However a dynojet kit and time on the dyno with someone who actually knows what they are doing is essential. The best pipes to get would definitely be the ones with removable baffles. They are stamped with all the legal markings yet you casn remove an insert to get the loud noise. Get the Dyno guy to set the bike up for the loud setting!! Just pop in the insert for the nice MOT man and all will be well. I really, really doubt the timing is out at all.These are setup a little rich to begin with so don't worry too much.
Don't know where in London you are but FWR.co.uk do cheap deals on tyres. They are in Sarf London near the War Museum if memory serves. I use Avon Azaro2 ST's which have lasted me for 9000 miles without any sign of them giving up the ghost yet, and I've only had them nearly a year of hard riding including 2-3000 on the M3. Good grip in the wet and dry. No faults... I think they are doing them at one front, two rears for £130??

Yellow 97
27-05-2004, 07:40 PM
Cheers Spacemonkey ....yeah the cambelts where changed in december and i have reciepts for them.
I've been doing short trips to and from work in london and then taking it for a good thrash at the weekends about 150 miles...not knowing how much i can thrash these engines, i may be holding back a bit but have got to the point where i can feel the power drop off when its high reving and then change gear its hardly ever used in top gear even on the motorway 80ish
Will definatley be getting new air filter and dyno jet also thinking of a set of bluefames exhausts.

I got afew quotes for just tuning the carbs...havin a laff i think 120 quid

Thanks for the tyre tip don't actually live far from the war museum so might try them out

I've been off the biking scene for a while due to a volvo and my ZZR1100 but def hooked on the ducati

Cheers again i'll let you know how i get on

A Yerbury
27-05-2004, 09:04 PM
mines going in tues to be fixed and provided (digits crossed its just the leccy) Ill stick it on the dyno. 25 quid a read but all in would be about 100 if the carbs need a tweak. stating the obvious but any thing u do in the way of jets/pipes/airbox/ sprocket do em all b4 the dyno test. jeez that is obvious n'est pas?!
AY

A Yerbury
27-05-2004, 09:06 PM
oh, zzr1100, not the prettiest but possibly the cheapest way of getting from a to b double quick!!