PDA

View Full Version : clutch

steve kearl
21-05-2004, 12:48 PM
I have just had my 02 S4 serviced ( 12,000 miles) and at a cost of £439 ouch. The Garage that did the work (3X motorcycles) said my clutch is on its last legs. Is this normal? and has anyone experienced the same life span out of their cluch? also they said my valves will need replacing at the next service as well ouch ouch.
Does anybody know if it is possible to get a stronger clutch that perhaps does not wear out so quick? I must admit though I don't have a car and so I use my S4 for everything everyday.

I would also like to say, that I can't wait to go out for a ride with everyone, as it has been very difficult since joining the club. but going down the road with a whole pack of monsters will be great.

Kearly

superlight3
21-05-2004, 12:58 PM
12k from a Ducati dry clutch is not bad going. You could try sintered plates (which are a bit harder and fitted as OE to SPS models etc) for longer life.

When you say your 'valves' need replacing, do you mean the valves themselves or the operating 'rockers' which is a common problem?

l.t.

cerebus
21-05-2004, 01:35 PM
£439?? that's cheap, try going to DLS !

Though maybe not as they tried telling me my clutch should be replaced every 6,000 miles. That's on a M600 wet clutch ???

btw, why is this in 'electrics' :)

Cerebus

gary tompkins
21-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
btw, why is this in 'electrics' :)

Cerebus

Good point - maybe electric clutches are a "hush hush" factory mod fitted to some s4's :confused: :D

Should make the lever action a bit lighter though ;)

spacemonkey
21-05-2004, 06:25 PM
New Milton? I've never even seen another Monster in the X'church/New Milton area, let alone an S4....

Mate, I ride around London (loads of clutch slip every day) and I changed my knackered plates at 15000 miles (6k after buying it). I have just had to change the basket etc and the plates were fine. My bike had done 31000 miles at the time... I would say take it to Tony at Two Four Italia in Ringwood for all your work. He is Ex 3X and races a 996. He is a true enthusiast and really knows his stuff. I trust him implicitly with my bike, so much so that I travel down from London to let him service it. He is cheaper than 3X as well. He's the sort of guy who does extra stuff to your bike without charging sometimes. If you travel into Ringwood, turn right opposite the Volvo dealer (where the pub on the right hand corner is) and look for the Dukes. He is open til 6 ish and Saturday is 9-1pm. Say Nick with the Monster from London sent you ( I might get discount for sending another customer his way!!!).

He should be able to tell if your clutch needs changing or just cleaning and re shuffling of the plates. If you need clutch plates contact NattyBoy independent traders. I believe he might have a set of clutch plates left that will fit, and he will be much cheaper than you will get elsewhere.

Re a ride, I'll let you know next time I ride down to Mudeford (my hometown).

steve kearl
22-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Sorry people, Im a pratt, thanks superlight for advice about the clutch plates, will bear that in mind when I get it sorted. Thanks also spacemonkey for your advice, I know about two four italia its just at the mo I am stuck with 3X until the warranty runs out.
Next time people I will try and put it in the right category.

gary tompkins
22-05-2004, 11:02 PM
steve kearl wrote...Next time people I will try and put it in the right category.

No worries mate - just just a bit of friendly urine extraction ;)

Welcome to the club, I'm sure you'll have a real grin once you tie up with a few local UKMOCers :D

Question for Lee AKA Superlight ...

What's the damage on a set of those sintered friction plates? My original plates are getting a bit sad at just over 13K miles, and I think they'll be well knackered (like me most probably) after Mallory Park.

Giss-a-clue - ta :)

steve kearl
25-05-2004, 06:50 PM
Hi Superlight 3,

In answer to your question regarding the valves, I have had a look at the service report and all it says is the desmo clearance is at maximum so I am not really au fait with what that means. I hope this answers your question and look forward to your input. Thanks, Kearly

spacemonkey
25-05-2004, 07:10 PM
That's fine. Quite normal. The desmo rockers need checking/adjusting every service, so 12k is about right. The next service will need them seing to. This involves lots of feeler guages and plenty of shims being available, so easier for a shop to do, and in your case (warranty) you have no choice. Not major surgery though. Ducatis are quite sensitive to valve clearances, especially as the very nature of the desmo setup means that the valves are forcibly closed too, so if your clearances are way out, then the valve will not close properly, which will cause a loss of power and burnt out valves/seats. You could wait 6000 miles til the next service or get them done now. Cost probably the same (give 'em a call) about £100????? Wouldn't panic though...

Duncan
25-05-2004, 07:49 PM
My 900 clutch is on its last legs at 40,000 miles but I dont do towns if I can help it.

If the plates are flat and the tangs are OK, theres a place called Friction services in Oldland Common, Bristol will reline the plates with a suitable material. He does a lot of classic and competition bikes, including the James Holland scramblers built for Mick Andrews and has done a few Triumphs of mine.

The whole clutch rarely needs replacing complete, you just have to accept the drum wears a bit and remove the bigger burrs with a file. Plain plates only need replacing if they warp or the tangs get too far gone, friction plates its the tangs and there is a thickness limit. Springs you can measure the free length. Main dealers dont do this, they change the lot and you would be better off removing the cover and checking the clutch yourself first. Its only a few minutes to get apart and could save you a fortune, your warranty wont be affected as the clutch isnt covered by it.