PDA

View Full Version : EBC or brembo brake pads ?

LeMarsu
20-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Hi,

I am changing my brake pads this weekend.... can anyone recommend me what to get ? EBC or brembo ?

And where can I get them in London ?

LeMarsu

slob
20-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Hein Gericke in Stockwell certainly used to stock a full range of EBC pads.

Duncan
20-05-2004, 01:00 PM
If you want Brembo then buy mail order from MPS. Order today, here by Saturday.

Bearing in mind you have Brembo brakes and discs then the best combination for normal riding will be the matched Brembo bits. I find they wear very well and wouldnt bother with other makes. You might get better bite with other makes but wear can increase and bite may be worse. So if you were happy with Brembos before, stick with what you know.

LeMarsu
20-05-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Duncan
So if you were happy with Brembos before, stick with what you know.

this is my 1st bike... only had brembos, I don't know any better ! :p

LeMarsu
20-05-2004, 04:33 PM
Is there a model number for Brembo/EBC brake pads? (Front and rear)
it is not in the monster manual

Dark-Jon
20-05-2004, 04:42 PM
For what its worth, I've got EBC Green Stuff pads on my Mini and they make a big difference in braking. Mini's suffer from brake fade when you drive them enthusiatically, but with the EBC ones they've been brilliant no matter what. They also produce less brake dust cos they contain carbon or summint....

Whether you can get em for Monsters? I havent looked :rolleyes:, and whether they make any difference on a bike, no idea.

No help at all really :lol:

Dark-Jon :burnout:

spacemonkey
20-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Brembo-membo's... I'm with Dunc-stick with Brembos. I know others fit EBC (for £15...) but I always believe in OE discs/OE pads. If you fit EBC discs, then EBC pads etc. I lika-da-Brembo's innit?

M900Dom
21-05-2004, 03:31 PM
about £18/caliper and much much better feel and performance than the standard Brembos, no wear issues either.
The only thing I have found is they go off at about 2/3rds worn and are best replaced then.
Dont use the Kevlar ones (Green) shockingly bad in the wet, HH are a Copper colour
HTH
Dom

james007
27-05-2004, 09:08 AM
All this talk of brakes. How do you know when you need to change them? I find my bike is now making a slightly grating noise when I come to a stop...guess that means they're ready to change?

fatbloke
27-05-2004, 09:10 AM
All this talk of brakes. How do you know when you need to change them? I find my bike is now making a slightly grating noise when I come to a stop...guess that means they're ready to change?
I hope your joking!!

james007
27-05-2004, 09:17 AM
it only started yesterday. could also just need a clean no? Anyway, I will probably take it in for a checkup, unless I can do it myself, if it ain't too dificult...

spacemonkey
27-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Blinkin' heck! If you peep at the back of the caliper you can see the amount of pad left. You should have a bit of pad between the plate and the disc... They wear out quicker in London you know, due to all the crap drivers.

madhatter
10-06-2004, 02:08 PM
If you go to www.ebcbrakesdirect.com they have a bike model matrix that not only tells you what pads you need for the front and rear of your specific Monster but also shows you a diagram of them, so you know that they match the shape and size of the existing ones.

My local dealer quoted me £38.50 off the shelf for EBC FA95 pads (Non Asbestos Organic Pads (Kevlar) & Sintered "R" Suffix). When I checked on the website they were only £12.00 plus vat, plus delivery. :eek: They were delivered to me the next day at work for around £19.00.

I fitted them last night and they feel good and stop the bike well, so no probs with EBC as far as I am aware. :)

John k
23-06-2004, 01:08 PM
I have a problem .... (no , not that one). My bike is squeaking from the back at low speed (walking pace et cetera) - I weas wondering if this was summat to do with the breaks or if any of you guys have had a similar prop -this is my first bike and so I havn't got a scooby about such matters.

Ta!

steviej
23-06-2004, 01:25 PM
I have a problem .... (no , not that one). My bike is squeaking from the back at low speed (walking pace et cetera) - I weas wondering if this was summat to do with the breaks or if any of you guys have had a similar prop -this is my first bike and so I havn't got a scooby about such matters.

Ta!

Might even be your chain..................

..................give it a clean (DON'T USE WD40), preferably paraffin, lube it, take it for a spin.................

John k
23-06-2004, 01:38 PM
and it looks like it needs to be tightened - Do I need to go purchase a torque wrench to tighten it up ? I will also clean & lube it up tho and see if that does anything - muchos gracias!

steviej
23-06-2004, 01:46 PM
and it looks like it needs to be tightened - Do I need to go purchase a torque wrench to tighten it up ? I will also clean & lube it up tho and see if that does anything - muchos gracias!

A torque wrench is a very handy tool to have, but not an absolute necessity for general 'stuff'. ( I feel a HEAD CHEWING session coming on). :eek:

John k
23-06-2004, 01:56 PM
basically I am needing to get a big arse spanner to sort out those nuts then, eh?! I will chip off to halfords and see what I can see........

steviej
23-06-2004, 02:01 PM
Don't buy an adjustable...........................they're crap.

John k
23-06-2004, 02:03 PM
off your head, do you know what size spanner i would need?
Ta (again!)

steviej
23-06-2004, 03:20 PM
off your head, do you know what size spanner i would need?
Ta (again!)

Sorry for the delay, 'been busy. I'm 99% sure it's a 22mmAF spanner you'll need..................in fact you'll need two + a 12mm AF for the adjusting bolts. (Based on my 98 M750)

grunter
23-06-2004, 03:42 PM
did you copper slip the rear pads?
rear wheel nuts 22mm torque setting 70 to 76 Nm
rear brake caliper mounting bolts 23 to 25 Nm

Albie
23-06-2004, 07:18 PM
Just got quoted on site £53.45 for front and rear. Not bad i guess. That was HH

John k
24-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Cheers!!! - will be sorting out my little proble later (ahem....) !!!

jrpdark
12-08-2004, 12:39 PM
Might even be your chain..................

..................give it a clean (DON'T USE WD40), preferably paraffin, lube it, take it for a spin.................

Eh? Why not use WD40? Does it rot the or rings or what? :confused:

I haven't used it on the Monster, but regularly give my trailie's chain a dose after a hosing down, then lube it the next day (or month...)

Cheers

James

Bobble
12-08-2004, 01:17 PM
WD 40 is a great chain lube remover - just put some on a rag and wipe off any chain lube on your wheel rims etc. not to be used on chains as removes lube then washes off with rain ....result...rusty chain :eek: . hope it helps. :burnout:

spacemonkey
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
but it does get into the O rings and causes them to swell, so don't use on O ring chains!!