PDA

View Full Version : It cranked and cranked and cranked!

paul620sie
20-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Strange thing happen yesterday as I set of for the Beford meet.

Ignition on, dials do the sweep thing, hit the crank/start button, the engine cranked over, failed to fire, so off came my thumb and it kept cranking on its own! It wouldn't stop untill I turned off the ignition.

Everything started as you'd expect on the second go, and later when I set off for home.

Should I be worried?

Has anyone else had the same problem?

slob
20-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Paul, it's happened on my 620ie once or twice, I just hit the kill switch and tried again(with the lights off). I think it may be a slightly low battery causing a 'sticky' starter solenoid.

SazzaG
20-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Had it happen a few times with mine, and seen it happen to lots of other people. Very funny when the bikes in gear!

I don't worry about it.

Saz

benson
12-06-2004, 02:21 PM
I had this sort of problem on my old 600 - but the things was so stuck it kept turning over even with kill switch off and no sign of a spark - amusing but not until the thing has been well and truly stopped! It happened a few times off and on but then I just sort of got used to it! I have a 900 now, the opposite problem then hit me - nothing at all when hitting the starter then I was informed by many helpful souls that the low voltage feed doodah pkug is notorious for coming loose! Gotta love monsters - totally off in their own world... :lol:

Dave in USA
12-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I was informed by many helpful souls that the low voltage feed doodah plug is notorious for coming loose! ... :lol:

I see you know all the technical description's then Rachel!! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

See ya soon

Dave :burnout: :bunny: :burnout:

Dave Pearson
12-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Yup, had the same on my S4 a few times..........just an interesting quirk Ducati have added to keep us on our toes :lol:

Dave

Will
12-06-2004, 11:58 PM
My 620ie did this once when it was a week or so old about 2 years ago - hasn't done it since.

I also read a road test in one of the bike magazines a long time ago and it happened to them - to their great amusement. I guess that it is a bug in the engine management firmware which causes it to happen under some particular set of circumstances. I personally wouldn't worry about it as I think that all the fuel injected Ducatis may well do it occasionally as they all use a similar Magnetti Marelli engine management system.

Will

Dave Pearson
13-06-2004, 09:56 AM
I was just wondering if this problem is one that only occurs with monsters fitted with the 'Energy Saving CPU'.
With my S4, there is a sticker on the tank that says you must press the starter within 15 seconds of turning the ignition on due to this CPU.

Question: If your monster has suffered with this 'quirk', is it fitted with this 'Energy saving CPU'?

Will
13-06-2004, 09:58 PM
My 2002 ie. does have this energy saving feature - I believe that all the fuel injected Monsters have this feature - well at least from 2002 onwards.

Will

Dave Pearson
14-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Hi Will, thanks for the info. I'm not sure when they changed, but my mate has an early S4, and this does not have the energy saving CPU, nor does he have the ability to start the bike whilst it is on the side stand.
He has never had this 'cranking' problem, so that got me thinking about wether the 'quirk' is related to the newer CPU/side stand setup.
I agree with your theory that it is probably a firmware problem.
In an earlier career, I used to fault find these kinds of problems on machine tools........old habits die hard I guess :lol:

Dave

pooh
14-06-2004, 08:10 AM
My wifes 620ie did this when she was being shown round the bike when she picked it up from Italia at Lincoln they immediately changed the starter solenoid no problems since. As for having to push the starter button within 15 seconds of turning the ignition on this is because the bike has a immobiliser built in which only allows the engine to be started straight away to protect the ignition coils and fuel pump.

Ian

Dave Pearson
14-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Thanks Ian, that's interesting that they changed the starter solenoid, because that could theoretically be what is causing the problem, and lets face it, they had to be seen to do something in that situation.....
My mate James's (early) S4 has an immobilisor, but I don't 'think' it has this 15 second start up restriction.
I must admit that my S4 only had the problem the first few times I used it, and it hasn't happened for some time, but I'm wondering whether it is related to people pressing the starter closer to the 15 second switch off period......
The way I start my S4 now is different from when I first got it. The first few times I started it I would turn the ignition on, set the cold starter - turn the lights off - check flaps are down - stand back and admire the beast, :lol: then hit the starter, now I just hit the starter straight away.
It could be just coincidence, but I'm doubtful of it being a solenoid problem because would this prevent the engine firing.......?

That's my theory anyway.

Dave