PDA

View Full Version : how to take the ignition off?

gallardo
18-05-2004, 04:00 PM
Hello everyone!

I wonder if any of you can talk to me into getting the ignition off the bike. I've lost the key :rolleyes: and need to take it to the shop to get a key cut.

How easy is it?

Cheers,

Gallardo

Byron Kauffman
18-05-2004, 05:22 PM
Gallardo;

not sure if all are the same but on my 2000...

first raise the fuel tank and remove the 2 allen bolts that hold the cosmetic plastic cover around the ignition switch.
Then you will see how the switch is attached. The riser nuts that you see are held in place by allen head bolts from the underside. They are a bit tricky to get to, you need to remove the airbox lid. (cover the carb inlets for safety)
You can feel around with a allen wrench and get it into the upside down bolts. I think the riser nut is 10mm so just use a open end wrench.
Once the fasteners are off the switch drops out from the bottom and you unplug the leads.
You should be able to use the serial number stamped into the lock to get a key.

hope this helps.

Byron Kauffman
18-05-2004, 05:25 PM
Just a thought....
I hope Gallardo is really a Monster owner and I didnt just explain how to steal someones bike.

I dont know if the steering lock has to be free for the above instructions to work.

gallardo
19-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Byron,

I wasn't, but I am know..

Only kidding. I am a monster owner. I've been for all of about two weeks and already lost the bloody key!!

The stearing lock is on so I think finally I am going to remove the petrol tank and take it to someone to get the key cut. That, or call locksmith, but bloody expensive

Thanks for your help,

Jorge

Byron Kauffman
19-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Gallardo;

You will not be able to remove the tank without removing the seat and you need the key to remove the seat. even the fuel filler has a hidden bolt that can only be removed when the cap is open and you need the key for that.
You might be able to remove the seat lock but I think a plastic inner liner hides the bolts. It is the cheapest thing you would have to ruin to get a new key.

Ade
19-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Try shining a torch into where the seat mechanisim is, from the left hand side, and you will see a spring with a wedge shape under a little horizontal bar (12mm), with a longish flat screw driver give the wedge a little push, hey presto.

Byron Kauffman
19-05-2004, 04:38 PM
A TORCH!!!!! you will set the bike on fire!!

Oh, sorry, this is the UK monster club, you meant a "flashlight".

Sorry couldnt resist I was feeling like a obnoxious YANK today.
Feel free to follow with all the stupid Yank stories.

spacemonkey
20-05-2004, 08:34 PM
:)

There's only one Yank I feel like picking on today-Randall Wallace. he gives real meaning to the phrase "never let the truth get in the way of a good story". I guarantee that if you see a Hollywood production where history has been rewritten dramatically, then he is normally the screenplay writer, and Jerry Bruckheimer will probably be the director. And it'll have a pumpin' soundtrack, big explosions and totally unbelieveable 'maverick' characters.

Incidently, now we have a Ford 'Maverick' and the Ford 'Cougar' when do we get the Ford 'Iceman' or the Ford 'Goose'???

A Yerbury
20-05-2004, 09:05 PM
yup, the man is an directorial arse, still he wasnt responsible for "snatch" "elephant juice" "51st state"and god knows how many other great british films of late. still, I'm curious to see the new cohen bros take on the lady killers, in fact when one thinks about it american indy/arthouse is some of the best. swingers, lost in translation, clerks, donnie darko, any altman, cohen, lynch roger dodger and good old M moore is keeping the spirit of free speech burning