PDA

View Full Version : too much oil

craigie
17-05-2004, 09:37 PM
have just noticed that the oil level is above the sight glass, 2 1/2 months since service so I'm a bit slow on the noticing front. saw a little oil on the bottom of casing and thought **** I'm leaking and checked to see how much was gone and hey presto its too high too see.

Is this bad news, will it do any damage, does it need sorting pronto?

I know nothing so anything would be a great help.

cheers

Craig

Chris
17-05-2004, 09:49 PM
Are you checking it when cold? I can't imagine how the oil level would go up otherwise!

Pedro
17-05-2004, 10:21 PM
Is the bike perfectly upright too?

craigie
18-05-2004, 06:47 AM
I'm checking it after a run and it is upright.

I'm thinking too much was put in because I've not checked since the service.

is it bad though?

cheers

Craig

Chris
18-05-2004, 07:43 AM
Check in the manual but I think you should be checking it with the engine cold. On the KTM the oil should be at the BOTTOM of the sight glass when cold, or at the TOP of the sight glass when hot, it makes that much difference.

OOPS just checked my manual and it says to check with the engine warm, so that's me stumped too. If you've not put any in since the service I can't imagine how it has gone up.

spacemonkey
18-05-2004, 05:37 PM
I always do mine cold in the morning (oo-er) the oil will expand when hot and give a higher reading after a run. Check it again after an hour or so, or check in the morning with the bike bolt upright. Normally if these beasties are overfilled they blow it our the overflow or burn it off.

Paranoid Dave
18-05-2004, 05:43 PM
Mine was holding too much and so some got taken out PDQ. My base gasket is not in best condition, it's been a bit weepy for over a year now but too much oil is just asking for trouble.

Get some out or it might blow cap'n.

craigie
18-05-2004, 10:06 PM
cheers everyone

how do I take a wee bit out, remembering that mechanically (as well as in many other ways) I'm an idiot.

Paranoid Dave
19-05-2004, 06:13 PM
I can't remember the name for it but i think it's the bolt low down on the right hand case? I forgot to undo and drain this bit when I changed my oil so left a bit too much in and then overfilled it. Plaese someone back me up here before I give bad advice. (who me) :D

craigie
20-05-2004, 10:12 PM
thanks PD

will have a look tomorrow, checked it cold this morning & still above sight glass.

worry, worry, ride...