PDA

View Full Version : Yanks and Lancs June 5th

Paranoid Dave
17-05-2004, 06:09 PM
If world war two Lancaster bombers and Spitfires excite you then this could be for you.

Saturday 5th June 2004.
Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre.
East Kirkby, near Spilsby.
Location details: www.lincsaviation.co.uk
Time: 10.30 am to 4.00 pm.

This is the home of one of the few remaining world war two Lancaster's and one of the very few who actually run. On this day they will be firing up the engines and touring around the runway, so close the wing passes over your head. there's a flypass from local spitfires too. :D

OK I'll come clean, this is actually a Buell meet, They have met there for the last two years and it's a superb day. This year they've changed the name to the Emma Radford Memorial Buell Day. It's not a Buell only meet as it's a public museum but UKBEG have asked me to invite any of Emma's friends of UKMOC members who want to go. The buells will be parked under the plane and any others will have to park behind the mess or face being blown over by the 4 Merlin engines. :twisted:

There's a very small entry fee but it's not something you get to see everyday.

So what could be better than hearing and seeing the best engines in the world, talking to a load of new faces with V-twin engines being the top topic.

Link to Buell site thread:
http://www.bike-pix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3920&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Banshee
17-05-2004, 07:12 PM
BLOODY BLOODY BLOODY.

That sounds sooo cool, but its my son's birthday, and i can't work on his birthday, i blame mrs Banshee she should have held him in a day.:mad:

Paranoid Dave
17-05-2004, 07:16 PM
Just call it overtime ;)

steviej
17-05-2004, 07:35 PM
I'll be burnt to a crisp on a beach.......................

Tigerlily
17-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Sounds like a great day out!

Me and Rabbit will be going if we can sort out a babysitter.

Phoenix
19-05-2004, 12:34 PM
:( love to have gone for Emma and for my Grandad who flew in Lancasters but I can't make it sadly on the grounds that i'm taking my girls to Disney Paris.
Keep it in my Diary for next year though :)
Hope you have a good a day as you can PD.

lox
29-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Hi PD,
Is this meet open to anyone with a monster ?
Because me and Boppy (East york's lot) would like to pop down.
cheer's
Rich :)

Paranoid Dave
29-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Hi PD,
Is this meet open to anyone with a monster ?
Because me and Boppy (East york's lot) would like to pop down.
cheer's
Rich :)

Yup!

It's a public aviation museum, open to anyone, bikes are especially welcome on this day so feel free to come along. :bunny:

Little Monster
30-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Might be there. Hubby's a Buelligan and much rests on whether he can get a new front brake disc fitted by then. It's got too much movement to ride safe as it is....so with any luck we'll be there. he's on the phone to his guy right now who's gonna fit it.

I read the Buelly thread. I hope non buelly's who didn't know Emma are still welcome. I can ride my hubby's Buelly credentials to get in but there are other Monster riders who are new to the forum wanting to come too that won't have known her. Perhaps you can tell us about Emma? I'm intrigued as to how she's managed to cross the divide between Monsters and Buells. A true diplomat! I've gathered from threads she had CF and only passed away recently. Was it her bike called Barney? Was it a Buell? What's the Monster link? I hope these questions don't come across the wrong way (as emails often can) but she clearly touched a lot of people and i'd feel a fraud going to a memorial meet not knowing anything about the person being remembered ....

Paranoid Dave
30-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Perhaps you can tell us about Emma? I'm intrigued as to how she's managed to cross the divide between Monsters and Buells. A true diplomat! I've gathered from threads she had CF and only passed away recently. Was it her bike called Barney? Was it a Buell? What's the Monster link?

OK - EVERYONE is welcome because the day/event is not organised by any bike club or person relating to one. The aviation museum houses a Lancaster and to keep it in working order every few months I believe, they bring her out, fire up the engines and taxi round a bit. The Buell club thought this a nice day to hold a meet and bring the link between engine lovers so two years ago they met there on this day. Also there were many veterans, and a classic car club. Myself and em also went. last year they did the same meet and emma once again attended (but it was first day of Arrow Mill so I didn't)
This year to honour a fellow Bueller, UKBEG have renamed their meet after Emma and welcomed any friends, bikers or monsterers along too. But it's still only a meeting place for us all, the museum and open day is open to general public. Hope that makes things clearer. :D

Little Monster - you have a PM

Paranoid Dave
30-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Seems like quite a few people are interested in going. Be nice to meet a few new faces, not tomention some old ones too. Me I can't wait for the sound of those 4 bloody great engines firing up just yards from me :eek: and a wave from the local spitfire too.

I'll be a happy :bunny:

See you there.

Little Monster
31-05-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the PM PD. Certainly sounds like those of us that never got to meet Emma missed out. Girls on bikes are rare enough but girls on Buells even more so. Looking forward to seeing all the Buells and Monsters. Let's pray for sun!

Paranoid Dave
02-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Thought you'd like to know, the Bueller who organised the bike meet wrote this...

"went to the Centre yesterday to finalise details for Saturday - the Spitfire flying display is absolutely awesome, totally blew me away. Forget what you may have seen at airshows. This is low and close-up"

What more do you want eh. :D :D :D

Julie
02-06-2004, 05:24 PM
What more do you want eh. :D :D :D

I want to be able to come to the do! bugger :( :(

Julie
02-06-2004, 05:25 PM
oh ****e!!! 1000 posts :eek: :eek:

Paranoid Dave
03-06-2004, 07:14 PM
For anyone planning on going to this, CJ (the buell organiser) is trying to section a bit of car park for us so we can park together. So if you're the first to arrive, just ask for Chris jessop and he may tell you where to go ;)

Oh and his brother's got a monster it would seem :D

lox
04-06-2004, 09:25 AM
What time is best to get there :confused: or what time does it all kickoff or when are you all geting there ;)
Rich :burnout:

Tigerlily
04-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Us Manchester lot are setting off at 9 o'clock and we should get there about 12ish.

I think the action starts about 2 ! :D See you there!

Paranoid Dave
04-06-2004, 05:23 PM
It opens at 10, there's a photoshoot for the buells under the lancaster about 1, I think the lanc fires up about 2 and as for the spitfires? I dunnav a clue.

I hope to get there before lunch

Paranoid Dave
05-06-2004, 05:33 PM
to the few of us who went, I hope you had as good a day as I did. 2 and quarter hour ride there, same back and in the middle was a fantastic experience not to be found elsewhere.

C'mon Kev, i want to see the photo of kylie parked in front of the spitfire which in turn is parked under the lancaster. What a shot :D

Spitfire show was bloody good and those RR engines sound superb on full throttle. Nice to meet a few new faces too.

Lots of buells and one in particular got special attention, someone will be looking down on us all with a big grin today. :D

Tigerlily
05-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Me and rabbit had a great day today, thanks for letting us know about it Dave (thanks for the badges too!) :D

It's nice to put some faces to the names at last.

Once our photos have been downloaded we'll post a link then you can all have a look! Had a nice ride back with boppy and lox, it gave my confidence another little boost :)

See you all again soon.

boppy
05-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Ditto to what Tigerlily said, great day. Great ride home down the back roads. Hey PD Kylie sounds fantastic :D

Kev Bunney
05-06-2004, 07:28 PM
OK all I`m here ! fantastic day today, would`nt have wanted to miss it, nice to meet a few new faces and had a great ride back, I`ll have a crack at the pictures then :confused: First one is the MMM machine line up, as we`ve said the Midlands mob has gone from strength to strehgth and is now one of the strongest, most active groups within the UKMOC ! number 2 is Kylie and the Bunney monster together in a fantastic spot, 3 is the lancaster taxi ing out, you really HAD to hear this, 4 RR merlin engines, WOW !! 4 is the Spitfire strutting it`s stuff magnificent sight and sound, and 5 is the MMMs representation in all it`s might, makes me proud of what we`ve achieved, THANKS PEOPLE !

pooh
05-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks for a great day PD well worth going, nice to see everybody again. Sorry Rich and Dave had to dash off slight panic at home.

see you all again soon

Ian & Lorraine

Julie
05-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Looks like you all had a great time, wished we could of come.

see you soon

J and R

Paranoid Dave
05-06-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks Kev, chuffed with that pic :D

There were a few buells there too as you can see. With a certain eM2 standing proud at the front. :cool:

Rabbit
05-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Here's a few photos we took.

What a great day out and worth the extra few miles for the detour around Lincolnshire. I wish we still lived up there sometimes!

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ChrisSmith/Spitfire2.jpg

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ChrisSmith/Spitfire1.jpg

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ChrisSmith/Monster_owners.jpg

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ChrisSmith/Lancaster.jpg

http://volcano.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ChrisSmith/4_Monsters_1_Imposter.jpg

I couldn't figure out how to do these as attachments :confused:

Kev Bunney
05-06-2004, 08:40 PM
They`re brilliant photo`s Rabbit, especially those of the Spitfire !

Rabbit
05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Thanks Kev.

I was quite pleased with some of the Spitfire shots too. I got plenty of shots of empty sky as well though :D

Rabbit
05-06-2004, 10:15 PM
Here's another Spitfire. I have tweaked a few levels and, for once, it seems to have improved the photo without making it all grainy.

Blimey, I'm on a roll tonight. I've even sussed the attachments thing :)

Kev Bunney
06-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Here's another Spitfire. I have tweaked a few levels and, for once, it seems to have improved the photo without making it all grainy.

Blimey, I'm on a roll tonight. I've even sussed the attachments thing :)

WOW ! that`s the K9 undercarriage ! can still hear it too :D

spacemonkey
06-06-2004, 12:08 AM
Hey, is that the two seater Spitfire from Duxford? Very rare indeed.... Flights in it are about £2000 for an hour and there's a 2 year waiting list. I remember hearing a flying Lanc back in my youth at an air show. I believe there are only two left flying now-one in Canada and one owned by the Battle of Britain Association. I saw this one on Discovery once taxi-ing up and down. Shame they'll probably never get an airworthyness cert. They used to see them there as boys and bought the plane years back and restored it. Top marks to them.

Little Monster
06-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Great to meet you all everyone - PD, Pooh, Tigger, Lox, Boppy, the entire MMM of course, Tiger and Rabbit as my riding buddies, i'm bound to have forgotten someone. Really enjoyed the ride back thru lincs - great roads. Just enough of a challenge keeping up for my novice riding skills. most of my body hurts today - think us Manc lot did about 7-8 hours of riding yesterday?

Nice to see all the Buells too - chuckled my ass off when the announcer welcomed them all over the tannoy as (pronounced) 'Byu-wells'. ha!

Didn't get chance to check out the other monsters tho which was a shame, including the infamous Kylie. doh! :(

great day out. :cool: :D

manc skank
06-06-2004, 12:49 PM
aaah sounds like you guys had fun, would have liked to have come thru :( stoopid job :rolleyes:

Little Monster
06-06-2004, 12:54 PM
aaah sounds like you guys had fun, would have liked to have come thru :( stoopid job :rolleyes:
sucks when you miss a ride out doesn't it. :( i should know, still not met half the manky mancs crew. :mad:

don't worry. between steviej (should he ever return) and tigerlilly there's plenty of ride outs to go on for the rest of us. :D

PD - wanna point the Buellies to the threads on this site with photos on em? I think i made the right choice in NOT riding back to Manc with Maz and co. the bunch of nutters. :twisted:

Paranoid Dave
06-06-2004, 04:48 PM
PD - wanna point the Buellies to the threads on this site with photos on em? I think i made the right choice in NOT riding back to Manc with Maz and co. the bunch of nutters. :twisted:

I already linked a few photo's over onto their forum and gave a big thanks from UKMOC.