PDA

View Full Version : Kylie sounds like a washing machine?

Paranoid Dave
15-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Went for a short spin today on Kylie but came home early as my paranoia was growing with every mile.

I heard a new sound coming from under me, sounds like a

wshhwshhwshhwshhwshhwshh

It sounds like a washing mashine to me, with a couple of 'wsh's' per second.
I thought it might be something rubbing on the tyres but I checked and checked again but still nothing. It also seems to have more to do with the speed of the bike tan it does the speed of the engine which makes me think it's not internal. Obviously as the revs change and the exhaust note gets louder it gets harder to hear but it's not there when I stop so it can't be the engine running in poor shape can it? Can anyone suggest a possible cause, it's doing my feeble little paranoid brain no good at all. :mad:

I'm off to see my spanner man on wednesday for new tyre, sprockets and chain so I'll talk to him. Thought I'd let you have your guess first.

Chris
15-05-2004, 11:35 AM
At least it'll keep her clean!

pooh
15-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Dave
Buy some better ear plugs then you won't hear the noise then you should'nt worry anymore.

Ian

steviej
15-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Brake Pads??

snakey
15-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Sounds like the chain to me - mine used to do that before I fitted a Scottoiler.

Pete.

Paranoid Dave
15-05-2004, 12:21 PM
getting a new chain this week so perhaps that will sort it?

Thanks pooh for that great piece of advice ;)

Dave Pearson
15-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Sounds like the chain is the culprit. Let us know when you find out for sure......

Didge
18-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Dave Pearson
Sounds like the chain is the culprit. Let us know when you find out for sure......

Yes Dave, you're supposed to lubricate the fackin' thing.

Paranoid Dave
18-05-2004, 09:50 PM
I did, I have and it's in real need of a change, that's why it's booked in for a new one, sprockets too (drop two at the rear) and a new tyre too.

Will let you know tomorrow night what was the culprit if we can fathom it out.

gjams
18-05-2004, 11:26 PM
I had a similalar problem and in the end it was the chain.

It was embarrassing. As the noise got louder and louder I began to think that it would cost me an arm and a leg to fix. (I thought it would be engine/clutch related)... I asked a friend of mine to have a listen for the noise and he said: "You stupid T#@T, it is your chain. It need tightenning". Tightened the chain (about 20 min), and as I was doing that, I fitted an scottoiler as well, and now the beast is as smooth as a baby's bottom. Having said that, my mate is still taking the ****....(I guess it is better for him to take the **** than the garage after having charged me 10000000 of pound for tightenning the chain and telling me they re-calibrated the engine or something...)

I am such a knob...

grunter
19-05-2004, 05:40 AM
dont put your whites in with your coloureds

Paranoid Dave
19-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks Grunt :D

All sorted now, yes it was the chain. It had to be really as the sound worked in time with the speed of the bike not the engine, and it certainly wasn't the wheels.
I now have two new BLACK sprockets. 1 tooth off the front and 2 of the rear. A new DID X-ring chain in gold to match the frame. And a new rear Pirelli GTS. All for £220 including fitting the lot.

Anyone short of a spanner man in suffolk/norfolk. Look no further than Carl Harris in Harleston.

Now Kylie purrs like she should, once again and I have a tyre in need of scrubbing on the way to the BMF sunday. :D

DesmoDog
06-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Glams, Was the oiler hard to fit?

Didge
06-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Glams, Was the oiler hard to fit?

DD, Scottoilers are VERY easy to fit. Just follow the instructions and take your time.
I actually enjoyed fitting mine, unlike some jobs.

YourOldNemesis
16-06-2004, 09:47 AM
If you change no of teeth, doesn't your speedo need recalibrating?

steviej
16-06-2004, 10:53 AM
If you change no of teeth, doesn't your speedo need recalibrating?

The speedo works via the front wheel. So no probs. ;)

YourOldNemesis
16-06-2004, 11:40 AM
The speedo works via the front wheel. So no probs. ;)

Fair enough. Not on my bike though!

steviej
16-06-2004, 01:34 PM
Fair enough. Not on my bike though!

Whoops, Just seen that your bike is an 'OTHER'. ;)

Paranoid Dave
16-06-2004, 05:51 PM
You're both right, mine does cable to the front wheel so sprocket's are not an issue. Don't know if any monsters work of the cog but I know AK's creation has an MH900E clock with drive down to the front sprocket.

A good and valid question - well done. ;)

slob
16-06-2004, 06:38 PM
Shouldn't do, one rev of wheel will be same distance travelled (assuming yours also has elecronic speedo 'reading' bolts going past) regardless of sprocket size. Radical change of rear tyre profile may make a difference though.

Paranoid Dave
16-06-2004, 07:21 PM
it is true that your speedo will differ depending on who worn your tyre is and especially if you are leaning the bike. Not much you can do about it tho.

Scotty
16-06-2004, 09:11 PM
no speedo works off the front wheel
so there is a slight amount of error depending on the exact tyre profile
( i imagin) not all tyres have the exact same profile and as tyres ware and the speed your going a whole host of error's officer its incredable to think its possible to measure your speed
ummm (do i talk enough ****?)