PDA

View Full Version : scratches on mudguard

Drucilla
14-05-2004, 07:15 PM
Have got several scratches on my mudguard causes by pipes rubbing, they go down to the white stuff. Any ideas as to how to repair them because they are deep and i think they will still be noticable if i just touch them up with paint, need the bike equivalent of polyfilla first! Its just a standard red front mudguard.

Paranoid Dave
14-05-2004, 07:34 PM
How do your pipes rub against the front mudguard?

Try some flexi type of filla like you say, then touch up and turtle wax. Surely it can't look too bad.

:D

Drucilla
14-05-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Paranoid Dave
Surely it can't look too bad.

I think it does Dave, it is my baby after all :(

Mand
14-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Cor Nat, I didn't think it looked that bad on Tuesday. Alex suggests using car body filler, sand it down until really smooth (obviously!) and re-spraying the whole of the mudguard.

Hope that helps. :)

Paranoid Dave
14-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Oh you mean the cables rather than pipes meaning cans. :rolleyes:

Yeh mine used to do that too, don't think they're meant to touch like that, have you not got the enlarged out of shape peperclip thing on the fork leg bolt holding it in place, surely adjust that to suit or do something similar.

You could always get something like a sticky carbon sheet and put an effective tank pad type sticker on it so it lokks like it's there for style reasons?

Just a thought. ? :D

DesmoDom
14-05-2004, 07:59 PM
Can you fit some P clips, to keep the pipes away from your mudguard ???. M&P do some annodised ones and they would prevent this happening again.

Baz

Paranoid Dave
14-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Nice idea mand but although that looks good, it don't solve the problem. Putting on a 998 fender though, that would :twisted:

Drucilla
14-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Thanks everyone, i have an enlarged paper clip type thing (is that a P clip?) and have bent it away slightly so the CABLE :) is no longer rubbing, just a bit peeved it had done damage before i noticed. Just need to repair it now.........

DesmoDom
14-05-2004, 08:14 PM
That's the cable / hose guide Nat, a P clip is a steel / alloy strap bent into the shape of P, with a rubber insert, which bolts onto the bike and keeps your cables / hoses in place. I think I got that right ???

Baz

Drucilla
14-05-2004, 08:18 PM
where does it bolt on to then and would it help in this situation

A Yerbury
14-05-2004, 08:34 PM
u should see some of these clips on the engine casing bolts routing some of the breather hoses, once u see one common sense will dictate the best place for it. take the fender of to respray the whole thing, a lot less hassle than trying to retouch which unless u r an expert always looks shoddy. just rerouted the throttle cables on mine and found they rubbed paint of the yoke so a tasty bit of sticky carbon for me! as well as carbon motrax do a gold type sheeting which would match the forks nicely-poncey fashion ed.

Paranoid Dave
14-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Bloody hell, are you suggesting I had a good idea.

Can we all just stop a moment and take note of this moment. :D

A Yerbury
14-05-2004, 10:41 PM
moment noted! stop being paranoid! previous good ideas include kylie, ubg article and your sculpture! so there. ;)