PDA

View Full Version : Rev Counter

pooh
13-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi all technical people

Does anyone know how to get at the rev counter face as the 2 little screws that haold the face on are now sat at the bottom of the glass and the face vibrates annoyingly. Do you have to take the complete instrument binakle off the bike or can the glass be removed in position. The bike is a 2001 M900ie if that makes any difference. Otherwise I will just rip it to bits and probably break something as usual.

Regards

Ian

Pedro
13-05-2004, 10:08 PM
I got a Road Racing set up with a rev counter needle that sticks occassionally so if anyoe knows how to open one. let me know too.

Ta
Ped

Byron Kauffman
14-05-2004, 12:05 AM
The gauges can be pulled apart and put back together. I have done it a few times, photo attached is my project gauges for the Monster.
It is not easy and if not done carefully you will break the glass. You must also be sure you work clean so no dirt is trapped inside and you seal it well to keep out moisture.
The gauge face is a internal part of the gauge.
You need to remove the gauge from the bike. It is held into the mount by 2 nuts on the back side (front of the bike) and unplug the gauge lights and tach/ speedo drive. Once you have the single gauge loose you will see that the front metal bezel is actually formed around a lip on the instrument can (see photo). This bezel retains the glass, a rubber seal and 2 internal trim rings. To remove this bezel you need to pry open the flange. I found for me a small straignt blade screw driver works best. Place the gauge on a non skid flat surface (kitchen table with a small stack of newspapers). Find a spot on the rear of the bezel where you can start lifting the flange. Work your way around lifting slightly. on the next pass lift the flange a little more until you have it nearly at 90 degrees to the face. Now comes the tough part. Pull on the bezel lightly and work it until you feel the rubber gasket start to release. It seems like forever but it will happen. Eventually you will be able to remove the metal bezel leaving the glass and rubber seal still on the gauge. remove the rubber and the glass and inner trim rings. Now you can tighten those little screws or re paint the face or whatever you want. Reverse order for assembly. You will need to reform the bezel around the instrument can as original. I have found that a large Jubalee hose clamp tightened around the diameter of the bezel or a wood circular form keeps even pressure while you rebend the edge.
Have fun.