PDA

View Full Version : Daytona NO!

gallardo
12-05-2004, 10:15 AM
Before buying my bike last Friday, I took it to Daytona for a check over who said that it was fine and therefore I bought the bike.

After the first ride, it broke down. Fuse blew due to a shortcut somewhere. Took it to Daytona who said that a wire in the headlamp was causing it. Left the shop and within the mile, broke down again. Phoned DAYTONA, Ducati Dealers in North London (Angel/King Cross) who said they'll come down and get it in their van.

As the day went by, they never called. I phoned them back before they closed and told me that the man with the van, the shop manager, had left and I had to wait until the next morning, which obviously didn't please me to leave the bike overnight in town, specially after getting my previous one stolen.

After calling again, the shop manager answer the phone and said that he was in an 'unusual meeting' (when he had supposed left the shop) and he refused to come down and pick up the bike from me as he was about to leave, to what I said it was unproffesional and if he could care less about customers. He wouldn't even come down with a fuse to get it started. He told me I could 'crawl it home' or 'sleep with it overnight' or that 'I was talking bull**** as I left the shop with the bike working'. He really makes you feel that because you don't speak the language 100% a lack of respect can be shown.

Sorry for all this moaning, but I was fuming last night . Thankfully the bike was still here this morning and changed the fuse and got it started. I don't want to take it to them again. What you think? Anyone recomends any other garage in Central or East London?

Cheers,

Gallardo

dean
12-05-2004, 10:26 AM
i just read your note and empathise with your frustration at dealers apparent lack of after sales/service care. they only seem to be nice to you when there is a sale or potential pound sign attached. My own experience with motrobike dealers has led me to look for the small (invaraibly non franchised) "workshop type" people who would get reccomended on sites like this.

In summary, most of these "main dealers" are not worth a light in my book and i wouldnt trust them as far as i can throw them.

Ducati uk, i hope you are reading this....

CK & AK
12-05-2004, 10:28 AM
Gallardo - try contacting Crust - as I am sure he has mentioned a reputable mech in your direction .....

Best of luck,

C

DesmoDog
12-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Christ,

Gallard what a nightmare - I'm sure he shouldn't be allowed to do that. Doesn't he have some sort of obligation to provide fit for purpose?

Tosser

Melnie Mouse
12-05-2004, 10:54 AM
That's outragous... call watchdog... I wouldn't put up with that, do they not realize they can lose customers this way, so even if they do any care about sales than aftersales, they won't get sales at all if they don't care or look after anybody... so sorry to hear all that... :(

Please don't mark all dealers with same brush though... some are o.k.... Good luck in sorting it :)

cerebus
12-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Gallardo, if I read your message correctly, you did not buy the bike from Daytona Angel, but got (paid?) them to check it over?

I guess this is just a lesson on the quality of Daytona's checks. I bought my bike from their Ruislip branch, and they didn't even notice it was p*ssing fuel everywhere (I did the next morning, when I swam through the petrol in my garage).

If they didn't supply the bike, then you have no hope of getting them to sort it (even if they should considering they were supposed to have checked it out), so I suggest finding another place to deal with it. I don't know of anyone else in London apart from DucatiLondonSouth, which will cost you an arm and 2 legs.

Have you thought of contacting the seller ? If it was a private sale they have no legal obligation, but it can't hurt to ask.

Cerebus

gallardo
12-05-2004, 11:15 AM
Guys,

Thanks for your kind words. I know all dealers are not like that. I had a CBR6 before and I never came across with that. You put up with a lot of **** when trying to learn the language, but I've been here long enough and that was just out of order. He was like 'we could be on the phone all night and nothing is going to change'. Customer services they call it...

Cerebus, that's right, I bought it privately and got them to check it. '£20 cash' the cowboy said. I should have know better..

Melnie Mouse
12-05-2004, 11:48 AM
that's a real shame :( pretty discusting really.

Jay
12-05-2004, 12:11 PM
From the 'grapevine' i've heard Daytona are apparently being dropped by Ducati UK, they didn't want to take on the Ducati London Central branch, and want to invest more in the Jap market. Hopefully this is true, as they really do suck so big time. I've told everybody interested in a Ducati to steer clear. Unfortunately missed one and he bought a bit of a dud 996, in three months he has already spent 2k on it, 1k of it on a new clutch! There's one nice guy there, who's good to chat to, but basically pretty useless when it comes to the bikes as he's all hard sell, makes me cringe!

As for a really good London Ducati man you could try Alec at ProTeam in Wimbledon 020 8946 8624. I've found him to be very good, explains things and spends time with you going over what's wrong etc, cheaper than a dealer. But of course the disadvantages of going with a smaller company is that you don't get a comp bike. Ducati London South and Central have a good call-out service, they arrange to pick the bike up the next morning take it to their's to fix up etc. What I've done is get breakdown cover, so I'll just get it taken to Alec if ever it goes wrong and leave it with him to sort out.

J

dean
12-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Jay, The Alec you mention, did he used to work for GR Ducati, they were in Wimbledon dog stadium?

gallardo
12-05-2004, 01:57 PM
Yep, I had breakdown cover with AA, but they had already been to the bike three times for the same time, so they warned me they would charge me next time.
Wimbledon a bit far out for me (East End) but deninetely worth it for what you say.

Dave in USA
12-05-2004, 02:15 PM
I had dealings with D*ytona in Ruislip too...ended up taking then to court....definitley a BAD dealer...although I had heard 'better' reports from the Angel branch...

Sorry to hear of your troubles. There are plenty of 'good' guys out there, follow the recommendations given here.

Dave

gallardo
12-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Just called the Head Office in Ruislip. I spoke to the Manager Director there who was very sympathetic and felt sorry (or so he said) and express his apologies as well as he offered me to take the bike there and promised me he'd have a word with the Angel branch cowboy. Well, don't know if it'd make any difference, but at least his tone of voice was definetely different and it felt like the right way to speak to a customer. It helped to throw it all out. Sorry boys about all my moaning today, but I needed to let you know and your advice really helped :-)

Jay
12-05-2004, 05:49 PM
Dean, that's the chap, not sure if he worked for GR Ducati or not. He's moved to a more salubrious unit now.

Bruza
26-05-2004, 02:09 PM
If any of you newer guys check out my old mails.... you'd never touch Daytona. Nightmare!

Dave Woods.... the man for me now. Bloody Excellent.

Runningman
26-05-2004, 02:37 PM
If you want proof positive of Daytona's legendary customer care service, read my thread "Loose bolts".
They effectively ruined my bike and walked away.

Ducati are on the case but I have been bikeless for two weeks with plenty more to come.

It's at On Yer Bike being assesed. Nobody has yet told me how much damage has been down but the words "big", "end" and "gone" have been mentioned

Btw: I heard Daytona were switching sales to Suzuki (sorry) but still servicing Dukes. Be warned!!!

gallardo
26-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Bruza,

Dave Woods, where is he?

Still looking for someone decent,

Gallardo

Dave in USA
26-05-2004, 06:25 PM
If any of you newer guys check out my old mails.... you'd never touch Daytona. Nightmare!

Your's and mine both...I would NEVER recommend anyone to D*ytona...EVER!

I got screwed by them...It's a long, sad, nasty tale, and I am not going into it again now... :rolleyes:

STEP AWAY FROM THE CRAPPY DEALER!!! :eek:

Dave

A Yerbury
26-05-2004, 07:07 PM
just goes to show that fdsh dont necessarilly mean that much, I used to live north and east london and found daytona very handy for spares and the like, one of the mechs there had a tache and rode a beemer, he was quite helpful provided you did a bit of homework first and then dropped the question in as a random queerie as opposed to shelling out dosh for their opinions. I did read here about a guy based in wandsworth whos good for dukes, sorry I 4get the name.
Alex.

Little Monster
26-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Just called the Head Office in Ruislip. I spoke to the Manager Director there who was very sympathetic and felt sorry (or so he said) and express his apologies as well as he offered me to take the bike there and promised me he'd have a word with the Angel branch cowboy. Well, don't know if it'd make any difference, but at least his tone of voice was definetely different and it felt like the right way to speak to a customer. It helped to throw it all out. Sorry boys about all my moaning today, but I needed to let you know and your advice really helped :-)

you might want to mention to this guy that all of this is getting posted on this site for all to see; if he finishes it up with a happy ending, we'll all know about it.

Dibble
26-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Gallardo,

Sorry to hear about your troubles, sounds like your best bet if you live in East London will be Tecmoto in Romford .. www.tecmoto.co.uk (01708 343916), talk to Wayne ...

These guys are good and look after a number of DSC bikes, they also offer a a free collection & delivery service for servicing if you are within 50 miles.

I live just south of the Blackwall Tunnell, so if you ever fancy a ride out let me know mate.

Good luck.

Pietro

queen_gpants
27-05-2004, 07:50 AM
I got screwed by them...It's a long, sad, nasty tale, and I am not going into it again now... :rolleyes:

That's putting it politely Dave! :eek:

Daytona's are my 'local' Ducati service centre and they're a bunch of w****** !

I use a local guy now for the 888, he's got a little workshop round the back of a bike shop nothing flash but he does the job properly and doesn't rip you off.

The monster is still under warranty and due for its 6000 miles service in July so I've got find someone to do that, it won't be Daytona's that for sure!

james007
27-05-2004, 09:22 AM
where is this Dave Woods fella?

Bruza
27-05-2004, 10:48 AM
Dave Woods is based in Aylesbury.

Not exactly London but the ride out is nice and the guy REALLY knows his stuff.

www.davewoodracing.com

Top Man

gary tompkins
27-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Dave Woods.... the man for me now. Bloody Excellent.

DWR gets my vote too - we'll worth the effort taken to get there from Kent :D

spacemonkey
27-05-2004, 04:51 PM
And my vote too. Has he still got 'my' 916 for sale?

gary tompkins
28-05-2004, 03:50 PM
... I did read here about a guy based in wandsworth whos good for dukes, sorry I 4get the name.
Alex.

David Robinson Motorcycles
Ducati (independant)

360 Old York Road, Wandsworth, SW18 1SS.
Tel 0208 8710503 or 0208 8779646
Fax 0208 8748941

Have not used DRM myself as yet, but have heard very good reports from those that have ;)

marchesini
04-07-2004, 07:41 AM
David Robinson Motorcycles
Ducati (independant)

360 Old York Road, Wandsworth, SW18 1SS.
Tel 0208 8710503 or 0208 8779646
Fax 0208 8748941

Have not used DRM myself as yet, but have heard very good reports from those that have ;)

Used him loads of times and actually bought my 2nd Monster from there. A couple of good things about Dave: he can usually fit you in at very short notice and also that he he is open until 9pm weekdays :eek: This works out really convenient if you happen to wotk in central London and need something looked at without resorting to taking sickies or days off.

best regards

simon

John k
06-07-2004, 09:07 PM
I agree with Jay - Ducati ProTeam (GR Ducati) are total saints and can not recomend them highly enough !!! When Monica's alarm (data-tool) screwed up her wire loom, Ducati London south were quoting £800. Alec sorted it out for a ton, including picking it up - the man is a total class and would recomend all london monsters to get their butt down to Weir Road in south west london!!!