PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy side stand switch

MikeG
12-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Side stand switch has developed a mind of its own, I have to kick it to get a contact. I guess its about to fail totally, leaving me stranded somewhere. At the moment I am finding convenient walls to lean the bike against to avoid using the sidestand, eekkk!!!
Is there a quick fix or is Stuarts kit the way to go?

M600 2001 31K miles and disintegrating quickly!

MikeG

snakey
12-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Stuart's kit is the way to go ! - It also means that you can warm the bike up on the side stand, and have the engine running to work on if need be without the bother of a paddock stand.

Pete.

MikeG
12-05-2004, 09:35 AM
Is fitting Stuarts kit fairly easy as in "idiot proof"?

MikeG

DesmoDog
12-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Does the kit involve the entire stand or just the switch?

MikeG
12-05-2004, 10:47 AM
The kit is an add on to the existing switch apparantly. No it doesn't include the stand.
Unfortunatly the kit does not replace the existing switch, which in my case is faulty, so I have to buy a new switch!!!

cerebus
12-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Mine is playing up at the moment, I somtimes need to flick the stand down and up again to get it to work.

I had the sidestand bypass kit, but it seemed to cause other problems, though I think it was a loose wire. I haven't got around to fitting it back on yet.

I found that sometimes I could start the bike by holding in the clutch.

I had a similar problem with the front brake switch failing, but fixed that by cleaning and lubing it, so it might help with the kickstand switch, though it's not as easy to work on.

Cerebus

snakey
12-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by MikeG
Is fitting Stuarts kit fairly easy as in "idiot proof"?

MikeG

it is fairly easy - plugs into the loom from the side stand switch and a wire from that goes to the wire that comes from the neutral switch at the rear of the motor, the only confusing bit was there is a bullet type connector that has to be cut off this wire and a spade connector attached, then a crimp on joiner clipped into place on the wire that comes from the neutral switch and the spade connector fits in to this. this is so that the bike can be started with the side stand down but the engine will cut out if put into gear without putting it up.

pete.

cerebus
12-05-2004, 11:44 AM
snakey, mikeg

Mine's a 2001 M600 and I was fine with the bullet connectors. Maybe older/newer models use the spade connector, or they changed the kit ?

Cerebus

Lee77uk
15-02-2014, 06:01 PM
is Stuart still about?.. I know it's been 10 years :)