PDA

View Full Version : electrics...groan

A Yerbury
10-05-2004, 10:31 PM
there is a connector at the back right of the engine ( 2 pins out of a plastic switch), are these just warning s or do they cut power too
1 they are in a state and one is not connecting
2 bulbs are very sooty on front light
3 snipped alternator wire but resoldered it
4 I have lights (break light perm on then turn ignition, everything dies and then nothing)
thanks in advance for any tips but I fear its another day checking ALL connections. Is it just me or do the looms seem a tad improvised at best? some of those connections are very fragile looking and often in areas where grit and vibrations happen!
AY.
ps It s not the side stand kill as that has thankfully been yanked out by previous owner.

Pedro
11-05-2004, 06:15 AM
I think the two wires from the back of the motor are the neutral light switch - quite important unless you wann start it in gear (ehh, Natty???).

benson
11-05-2004, 06:41 AM
Read the thread I posted entitled deep misery - lots of sound advice that actually got me started again AY - I went through everything at least twice and on the right hand side at the underneath of the petrol tank there was the offending doodah (great tech skills I know) - Fatbloke sent an elnarged picture and that was the culprit for e mat least. The loom looks totally improvised to me a total novice and yes there are lots of creases and bends. I had Daytona strip most of it out as every time I turned left the engine died - apparently common on 2001-2 models. Three warrantly call outs and 8 weeks to go - seriously considering a trade in for somethng still under warranty as its a maze of wires to me - but there's lots of advice out there and my recent thread has all the links on it.
Hope things get better mate,
Benson (aka Rachel)

Chris
11-05-2004, 07:42 AM
Rachel,
Mine does that occasionally, cuts out on left hand full lock. I thought it was to do with the alarm/immobiliser. Did Daytona tell you where they traced the fault to?

NattyBoy
11-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Starting in Neutral is for poofs Ped...you wanna be doing a le mans stylee start running after the bike..ahem.

Nat

Pedro
11-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by NattyBoy
Starting in Neutral is for poofs Ped...you wanna be doing a le mans stylee start running after the bike..ahem.

Nat

How's them rattle pipes Nat?

Melnie Mouse
11-05-2004, 12:39 PM
got your black beauty yet Natty?

DavidT
11-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Chris - if its cutting out on full lock, check that the wires from the kill switch have not been nipped between the stearing stop and yoke. I traced my mystery starting problem to a broken wire here.

NattyBoy
11-05-2004, 01:10 PM
Up yours Pedro..mate came round and suggested I start it up and give it a handful. Couldnt believe it, but the offending article came out !! Surprising what 10,000 rpm and a booming v twin can do !!

Mel...Watch this space !!!

Nat

A Yerbury
11-05-2004, 07:04 PM
oi stop hijacking my serious post with your chummy banter!!!! :)
read all the posts rachel plus thank gary t for his thorough nature, roll on a warm sat and Im sure Ill find it...the truth is in there somewhere.............