PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems

dukiwi
10-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Hi all,

Excuse any technical ineptitude you find hereafter...

My mates got an M600. He's had some battery problems of late, and took it to his mechnic to get it seen to. All was good after that...for about a week. Now he's has intermittent starting problems.

Sometimes, when you hit the starter button, all you can hear is a whirring, clicking noise from under the tank, and the starter motor doesn't turn. If you leave it for 10 minute to half an hour it'll sort itself out. It doesn't matter what the temperature of the bike is....warm or cold it'll do it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Rich

zorstec
10-05-2004, 08:58 PM
i had a problem with my 900ie
the fuel pump sometimes worked then not and didnt start the engine (it turned over but never started)
it turned out to be the two little relays under the tank to turn the lights off when you press the button
they sometimes worked and sometimes didnt
just replace them
any emails to zorstec@aol.com

Meteor
11-05-2004, 07:25 AM
I had an intermittent starting problem several months ago, where the ignition appeared dead when turning the key on. Following advice from this forum I checked out the yellow starter relay under the seat.

Mine was making a a 'chattering' sound and after a quick disassembly and clean up of the contacts with wet and dry the problem went away.
Hop this helps

Meteor

spacemonkey
11-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Dukiwi, that is the classic symptoms of a weak battery. Could be a duff battery or duff regulator or even alternator. Trying to start with a weak battery will duff the starter motor clutch. If the battery has been allowed to run flat a few times it will probably be shagged and won't take a charge properly.

dukiwi
11-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks, all. Great tips. I'll let him know.

He did have a dodgy battery not long ago. I don't know whether he replaced it or just recharged it.

Cheers again. I'll let you know how he gets on.

steviej
11-05-2004, 07:01 PM
Dukiwi, get him to "JOIN" in the fun....................

dukiwi
20-05-2004, 08:36 AM
OK...so it was all down to a low battery. I leant him my Optimate and, once the battery was charged, it all worked fine.

Cheers,
Rich

Gadget
20-09-2004, 08:59 PM
I have had to leave mine at work tonight. Bloody thing won't start.
I can hear the starter or maybe the solonoid clicking but the the starter motor does not turn. I shall take my battery charger to work and charge the battery till lunch and see what happens. If she starts I will buy a new battery as that is most likely the problem.

Also my bike, 2001 600 metallic, has not had it's side stand converted. Can someone point me to the post on how to. I know it used to be on the site but I cannot find it now.

Ta