PDA

View Full Version : adjusting the non-adjustable (forks that is)

Jamcoly
08-05-2004, 08:43 PM
I find that my M600 dark shake the bars quite often when riding at the fast end. And also sometime when changing gear it fact when ever there is a a bumb or ribble in the road.

what can i do to help keep it smooth?
-steering damper
-different fork oil
-adjust ride height
-buy adjustable forks

i think the front feels hard, but I am quite light in weight.
it has been sugested to use a thicker fork oil!

James

Duncan
08-05-2004, 09:08 PM
James

This isnt always caused by the front end and can be the back shock winding up changing the geometry. My 900 needed a couple more clicks of rebound damping to cure this and you might also find adjusting the rear ride height has an effect. Despite having an adjustable front fork I rarely need to do anything with it.
Lifting the back end sharpens the front but can make it prone to shakes, lowering it slows the steering but unloads the front making it easier to wheelie.

Before spending loads of dosh, go see a suspension expert and get it set up for you. If youre at the track day then speak to Rich Llewllyn who'll be able to give you advice from a racers perspective.

crust
08-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Before you adjust or buy anything......

did it always do this?

are you riding it faster?

first thing I'd check is tyre pressures/ tyre wear

Next thing is steering head bearings, lift the front off the ground - either jack it or get a mate to pull it up when its on the sidestand.

Do the forks rotate smoothly from lock to lock, is there any movement backwards or forwards at the base of the forks?

Have you jacked the back up or dropped the forks?

If all is correct - eat more pies :D

:) Crust

Pedro
08-05-2004, 10:39 PM
James

have you still got two different tyres fitted? That might not help

Ped

Chris
09-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Dave Wood Racing (Aylesbury) set up my non-adjustable forks a treat. Loads better now. Well worth it!

spacemonkey
09-05-2004, 09:49 PM
I'll second that!

Muttley
09-05-2004, 10:01 PM
How long does it take, what gets changed and whats the cost like Chris?

Chris
10-05-2004, 07:39 AM
I can't remember now, give Dave a call on 01296 336750 and tell him you want similar doing to what he did to my forks. He noted down all of the settings for future reference.

fatbloke
10-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Muttley
How long does it take, what gets changed and whats the cost like Chris?

(for non-adjustable forks)
Just had a word with Dave Wood and as an UKMOC special he will
remove the forks check them over and re fill with a weight of oil
to suit your weight and riding style for £100 inc VAT
01296 336750

Spanner
11-05-2004, 12:51 PM
James,

I have had similar problems in the past. This was because the valve on my back wheel was leaking air. This meant that the tyre got too soft so when running at more than a waft of speed the bike became a bucking bronco. So as Crust says before you spend wads of cash on suspension upgrades make sure the simple things are right. ie don't try riding with a squishy back tyre.

Good luck,

Doug

spacemonkey
11-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Just make sure that when you see Dave make sure no women com ein the shop if you want the job done quickly!!! ;)