PDA

View Full Version : Roof Diversion Recommendations?

jrpdark
07-05-2004, 10:10 AM
Hey Peeps

I am in the market for a new helmet to replace my aging Arai Giga.

The Arai has been fantastic and I am thinking about going for the same again (£300 and up, but worth it), but I like the looks of the Roof Diversion, especially the le Mans with the twin stripes going over the top of the helmet.

Anybody got one, or had one? What did you think of the quality, fit (subjective I know), comfort, noise levels, etc. Could it come close to an Arai?

Cheers

James

DesmoDog
07-05-2004, 10:34 AM
I really wanted one, but because I have a melon for a head I couldn't get one to fit - bloody lovely they are.

manc skank
07-05-2004, 10:42 AM
got a roof diversion daytona (3 stripes :p) very comfortable, snug, keeps alot of wind noise out. for me the fit is excellent... i like mine :D

dukiwi
07-05-2004, 10:44 AM
i have the roof daytona. pretty much the same as the le mans...looks like a different stripe pattern...matt black with white stripe.

overall very comfortable indeed. i havn't worn another helmet in some time so a comparison would be difficult. they are a tight fit, and it seems when putting it on that it's just not going to fit. but damned comfortable when you finally get in there.

the vents on top can crack easily if they've been done up too tight in the factory. but if you call up the distributor (http://www.t-child.com/) they'll post you a new one free of charge....which is nice.

great lid. looks cool in matt black. get one.

Melnie Mouse
07-05-2004, 10:48 AM
they're a funny fit, you either love em or hate em, so make sure you try one on and not just buy one 'on line' or something...

Try the New X-lite X-801, they're very similar to Arai, and new models are very very nice :) - although I wear AGV... but wouldn't mind a new x-lite

cerebus
07-05-2004, 10:50 AM
I have a Diversion, plain red one.

It's pretty good, I've had a vent crack on the top though. Noise is OK. Very tight at first, but good fit and comfortable now.

Black visor looks cool, but it is not that easy to change in a hurry.

Overall I like it, but I'm thinking of getting a Schuberth with the internal sun visor.

Cerebus

MikeBurns
07-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Free advert !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2476985129&category=18450&sspagename=STRK%3AMESSE%3AIT&rd=1

nid
07-05-2004, 01:05 PM
I've got one! Its cool. Really quiet and warm... (is that a good thing?)
Only one point worth mentioning.... mine has a built in speedo. When I am going 100 or over, I feel the helmet pressing on my nose! Thats ok though I don't want to be that fast for that long anyway...

spacemonkey
07-05-2004, 03:57 PM
I was gonna buy a Shoei XR1000 last week but couldn't find any Shoei (I've always had Shoeis for the past 14 years) that would fit right. I don't like Arais, and they didn't fit either. Last year I really wanted a Divvy, but none fitted at all. Last week I tried one in the new Small/Medium (small and a half) size. Hey Presto! It fits like a glove. Best lid I've EVER had on my noggins. Bit of noise from around the back of neck, but I can live with that. The anti fog visor really works, but glasses do fog up. Mine has the chin curtain which is nice on long trips. The air vent is a hole straight into your cakehole, and I wonder when I'm gonna cop a fly through it. Seatbelt type chinstrip is luvverly. Cheekpads removable and different sizes available. Only snag is the white stripe costs £55. Rip off, so I had the plain black at £195. LUV IT!

NewMon
07-05-2004, 06:16 PM
I like 'em and I'm in the market for a new lid. BUT where can you go to try 'em on? I have never seen them for sale esp. around the Midlands. Any ideas anyone? I also like the look of the Boxer as I fancy a flip up lid and these look pretty cool (read evil).

MikeBurns
07-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Sutton Bikes sell them - Have a look at the roof web site

A Yerbury
07-05-2004, 08:38 PM
As a budget simpson (which they all really are!) I do like the roof lids but I didnt want "roof" on the er roof if u want to recreate a doge ac cobra stripe the the bieffe viper or caberg brutus are nice n all ( all mercifully under 130 too!)

Paranoid Dave
07-05-2004, 08:41 PM
I have the Le Mans Roof Divvy, much better, quieter and more snug than my old craft, and there's more room for my ears too, little spaces for them in the padding so they don't hurt if you wear the lid for more than an hour non stop. The only drawback is the chin is very close to my nose and mouth. Depends on head shape so you'll just have to try and see how it fits you, but I got mine off a bloke who won it, used it for 20 miles - 10 going out and another 10 going home to change lid cos it pushed up against his nose.

I know Muttley has the same lid if you want another opinion?

Looks the dogs doo da's and I'm well chuffed with it! :D

Plum
07-05-2004, 09:30 PM
My best mate has one. He had Shoei lids for years, but he really rates his Roof. I like them and would probably buy one but i still have my Shoei and i 'kin luv it. I have looked at a Simpson but no one in Jersey sells them, but i found a place that does so i gave them a call.
'Hello. I am looking for a Simpson. What do you knock them out at?'

'Depends wot colour you want' He says

'Eh!?' I say

'Well White is £290, black is £340' He says

'£50 extra coz its black?'

'Yeah'

I cant belive that so needless to say i didnt buy one. Save the money for a new Monnie i think.

Stay Groovy

Lee

Muttley
07-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Le Mans for me too

My top vents broke as well but they give replacements for free and the new ones seem to be tougher. They're quiet, comfy, the antimist works as well. The chin bit curves down quite low so stops a lot of cold air hitting your neck, but it does mean that it catches more of the force of the blast when you go a bit quick. Not that I do tho.........

NewMon
08-05-2004, 06:52 AM
Mike,

Is that Sutton as in Sutton Coldfield? Town of my birth but I've never been to Sutton Bikes. I'll pop over next time I'm visiting...

Bunny
08-05-2004, 09:54 AM
I have a Diversion matt black, i find it very comfi not to noisey its a good choice.
(mrs bunny)

spacemonkey
08-05-2004, 12:11 PM
I found I couldn't have a Boxer as my nose was in permanent contact with the chinbar, which is not good... On my Divvy, my nose touches, just, at speeds over 75, which is illegal so it never becomes a problem and if I ever strayed over 70 mph I would turn myself in to the nearest police station for immediate imprisonment/kick around the cells...

MikeBurns
09-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Hi Newmon, Yes as in Sutton Coldfield - Good shop.

HUNTER
15-06-2004, 01:27 PM
When you get one it does seem to be good, HOWEVER these are the 'faults' I've found.
1. The Vision to the sides is poorer that other manufacturers. The extra few degrees you get with a SUOMY or SHOEI could be very important, so check it out in the shop and be satisfied that your field of view os good.
2. The inner lining becomes slack. This may have been corrected by the manufacturer with a different padding.
3. Becomes very noisy over time. At first was quiet. Then got quite bad.
4. No air filter - Grit and dust and flying insect parts into eyes !!!

Runningman
15-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I had a Roof Diversion before switching to the Arai Maverick T.
For me their is no comparison, the latter being a far superior lid.
Apart from the comfort and fit (the roof loosened up considerably after 12 months use) the Arai does not require the use of tools to remove the visor.
I suppose you gets what you pay for with the Arai being about £80 dearer than the Roof.
R

hipshaker
04-10-2004, 08:31 AM
i've got a silver le mans one. nice helmet but i'd echo a couple of the concerns above. the side visibility isn't great. one of my vents cracked too. also, i find that it lets a fair bit of air in blowing across my eyes at higher speeds. nice and comfy and looks great though ...... and tinted visor as standard.

Garry Hogan
05-10-2004, 11:21 AM
I've had a yellow "Diversion" for about 2 years now and the only problem I've had with it is I've just dropped it :( (Doh!!!!!) It has been very comfortable and much quieter than my previous lid (Arai) but then I do wear earplugs all the time. It was a tight fit (remember them?) to begin with, but soon moulded itself around me bonce. I fitted a dark visor from the off (original Roof part) and it looks the dogs! I now need to replace it coz when it hit the floor it took a great chunk of paint off the chinbar :eek: (such a clumsy git!) I'm toying with the idea of buying a "Bieffe", any one got any comments on these lids? Happy Monsterin' - Gazza. :burnout:

spacemonkey
05-10-2004, 04:19 PM
Alex de Yerbury is your man if you want to know about the Bieffe...

A Yerbury
05-10-2004, 06:56 PM
...................wot? Me?!