PDA

View Full Version : Rain Stopping my monster starting

syvers
06-05-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted this on DOC message board but advised i might find it better here.

I have so many problems when there is the slightest bt of rain the bike wont start even if running fine the even before. I do have a cover but sometimes forget to put it on. Anyway, as soon as the sun comes out and dries it up it works again! I am sure it has something to do with wet getting to the spark plugs as it turns over just doesnt start up. I am no mechanic.

A friend tells me they are just rubbish in bad weather fullstop. A point he made to me after i bought it!!

Is this just something to put up with or is there an aswer, perhaps a different type of spark plug cover with a watertight seal?

Any help would be appreciated.

On another subject the rear brake sounds like an articulated lorry, my dealer said he had fixed it and it is worse. I saw something about using a piece of tin from a can as a shim, does anyone know where i can find instrcutions on fitting this as i cant for the life of me find them. I will take the instructions to the dealer and ask him to sort it out!!

Thanks very much

Paul

gary tompkins
06-05-2004, 08:28 PM
The front plug on most naked duke's gets the full force of spray off the front tyre, which can cause running problems in wet weather. My own 600 used to suffer from this sometimes in bad downpours, but a squirt of wd40 usually got me home. A brand new set of plug caps (like NGK's) with a decent rubber seal on them could also help, as could replacement HT leads if they look a bit dodgy.

As for the rear brake - try chucking a new set of pads in. My bet is they have become glazed (shiney) and are vibrating against the disc, rather than biting. Again my own 600 developed this problem (squealing noise + naff all rear brake) and a £15 set of pads sorted it completely.

Best of luck :D

spacemonkey
06-05-2004, 08:34 PM
You and your £15 pads again... where do you get them from ? ;)
My bike is used in winter and rain. It is ok. If they were rubbish in the rain the Monster Weekend wouldn't have been very successful. I agree, new caps if a good dose of WD doesn't help, and a little smear of silicon grease on the bottom lip of the plug cap.

cerebus
06-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Ducatisuite has lots of useful stuff including step by step maintenance guides.

The brake pad guide says about adding a shim to reduce brake noise, might be useful.

ducatisuite brake page (http://www.ducatisuite.com/brakepads.html)

Cerebus

syvers
06-05-2004, 08:51 PM
Thanks very much, will try new caps, ht leads (that was mentioned on the other site) and the silicon grease. Might as well do them all!!

Thanks for the link aswell.

Cheers all.

Regards

Paul

gary tompkins
06-05-2004, 09:53 PM
Space said...

You and your £15 pads again... where do you get them from ?

Ahhh... now that would be telling wouldn't it ;)

EBC's and deffo 15 notes a set from a local (ish) dealer - not a Ducati only mob though :p

nik_the_brief
07-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Mine must have cost about that Spacemonkey - took her in for a new rear tyre and found they were down to the metal almost.

Local motorcycle garage supplied and fitted a new rear tyre (I eventually beat him down to £110 for supply and fit) - he did the rear brake pads while he was at it and charged me £127.50 in total. result - and a good bloke too.

spacemonkey
07-05-2004, 03:43 PM
Ah, not Bremebo pads then... That explains it.

gary tompkins
07-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by spacemonkey
Ah, not Bremebo pads then... That explains it.

They may not have been Brembo pads, but the EBC's stopped the bike just fine wet or dry & were cheaper - so your point is?

Would you only buy a replacement oil filter (and pay through the nose) if it had Ducati written on the side?

spacemonkey
08-05-2004, 12:05 PM
No problem with pattern parts, old chap. I just prefer OE pads on OE discs. Always have, but that's just me. I don't mind paying a little extra for that, it's only when things are big and expensive that I go pattern, as long as it is good quality.
Funny how someone on here said EBC Greenstuff are poo, yet on an MX5 forum people rate them highly. Guess it's due to the different applications of bike vs car.