PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend me a loud pipe.

Little Monster
06-05-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone

Can you give me some advice please? I'm a new M600 Dark owner. The bike came with standard pipes. Not bothered about increased bhp, just want some loud, stainless end cans to make the engine sound like it should. I want to avoid the need to rejet carbs if poss. I understand Termigs' are the best (?) but what is a cheaper option?......Understand this an ESSENTIAL mod as my Husband currently laughs everytime we go out coz he has to let me start my Duc. before his Buell or I dont know if it has started coz I cant hear it!!

Julie
06-05-2004, 05:21 PM
I have a 620 with Sil Motor
Ruth has a 600 with ART

Both sound fantastic and are around the £300 mark new

Low Level oval

Little Monster
06-05-2004, 05:30 PM
Julie/Ruth

Did either require rejetting of carbs?

Julie
06-05-2004, 05:39 PM
no just slipped them on and job done.

fatbloke
06-05-2004, 05:51 PM
I've got sils as well but if your looking for a bargin Stuart at Spareshack is doing great deals on Ducati Performance cans and systems

Julie
06-05-2004, 05:54 PM
i got my sils from spareshack. gotta good deal

Paranoid Dave
06-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Alpine horn. That looks like a pipe and it's very loud.

Sorry

... buell you say..

Dave in USA
06-05-2004, 07:17 PM
I had Remus Race cans...Nice rumble, suitable for setting off car alarms on the over run :)

Around the $400 mark (sorry, my keyboard don't have a pound sign)

;)

dean
06-05-2004, 08:19 PM
if loud is your criteria then have a look at the roadracing cans, i believe spareshack does them. i dont know how many memebrs have them on their bike but manc skank has them, i've had them as well and they are definately louder than termis (which i now have). they are more expensive as they are a full system but would be my advice to wipe smile off buelligan husbands face.

jrpdark
06-05-2004, 08:28 PM
If you want loud and stainless then I can recommend ART cans. They do them in round and oval and believe me they are F***ing loud. They are stamped not for road use so you are in doo-doo if you get a pull (and don't get shot of your standard cans for MOT time).

They did not require any rejetting on my M600 Dark, and seemed to make then engine livelier and a bit more responsive, plus about 3 mph at the top end (if that's what floats your boat). This would probably be improved with a rejet/filter, if you really want to. I didn't and it hasn't blown up on me yet.

They cost £330/pair retail, but, do like I did and go and see ART at the BMF Show - you should get em for £220, and they will post them to you for free.

Fitting should have been straight forward, but wasn't!

Good luck!

James

Little Monster
06-05-2004, 08:35 PM
jrpdark

You say fitting wasn't straight forward. Why not? What mods. were necessary?

spacemonkey
06-05-2004, 09:05 PM
You say you don't wanna rejet? If you ad a K&N with open airbox, the noise will be even better as the slurping when you twat the throttle is mega, but then jetting would be essential. Getting it jetted will make the bike run more crisp. If the bike is lean it will overheat, if it is rich it will wash the bores and thus wear out the top end in no time.

Little Monster
06-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Spacemonkey

So rejetting would be wise, whatever the pipe?

Pedro
06-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Dukes tend to run rich from the factory to get through noise emmissions and to err on the safe side a little. However, when I slung on my Leo Vince cans, the mixture proved about right without rejetting as the cans flow easier.

Ped

jrpdark
07-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Holly

Nothing serious, but one of the connector pipes was a very tight fit, and seemed to kick the pipe out at an odd angle. I phoned ART and they stuck another pair of connectors in the post no quibble. Also, the bolt holes on the mounting brackets were 10 mm, and should have been 12 mm, so I had to file them out a bit. To be fair, I'm sure ART would have sent me some new mounting brackets too, but I didn't ask.

Anyway, it made what should have been a 20 minute job into a couple of hours spread over a week.

Otherwise, I'm pleased with them.

Cheers

steviej
07-05-2004, 09:13 AM
Holly,

I believe DIDGE has a loud POO PIPE........................:eek: :eek:

spacemonkey
07-05-2004, 03:49 PM
Holly, I would suggest that if the pipes say they don't need jetting and that is all you are adding then ride it for a normal blast and then do a plug chop. This is taking out the plug and seeing the colour of the sparky bit. If it is choccy brown or grey/brown then fear not, as all is well in the world inside your engine. However if it is white or has whitish deposits on it then it is running lean and overheating. Not good. If it is black, sooty or oily then it is running rich and is still not good. In the latter two scenarios it means a trip to the Dynoman for a damn good jetting. If you are adding a K&N filter AND loud pipes then jetting is essential. Capische?