PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Help Needed!

Hommie
04-05-2004, 12:40 AM
Sorry to have my first thread be so general, but I'm going to buy my girl friend a Monster. She has ridden for awhile, but needs guidence yet on skills. I was going to steer her towards a 900 - perhaps an ie model. I really don't know squat about Monsters as I have always run with the 916's and 996S's. I hope you good folks will still 'talk' to me. I will need to get some kind of rear-wheel- stand also.

Are we going in the right direction?

Thanks...Hommie

Pedro
04-05-2004, 06:19 AM
The 900ie is a fine choice and pretty easy for a relative newbie.

Go for it!

Ped

benson
04-05-2004, 07:42 AM
I had a 600 for a couple of years and loved it but then I rode a 900ie and loved that more - it's all about comfort with a monster (make of that what you will!) if the bike fits ride it - I'd always had sports bikes until the M600 and I still run my 'blade (insurance premiums permitting) but after a long time riding I fell in love with the monster the first time I sat on it - as for more training for your girlie - the police riding days are great at £25 a day - also there's always monsters wround willing and happy to go out with others! Get down to the dealer - there are lots of bargains to be had and of course interest free credit is still available on some new 620ies... Hell - why die in credit???

Melnie Mouse
04-05-2004, 08:05 AM
you're just biased Pedro :)

pooh
04-05-2004, 09:38 AM
Hommie
I have just bought my other half a 620ie and she loves it to bits she finds it a little easier to ride than the 900ie I have, I think mainly because it has a wet clutch and does'nt bite so fearcly and is slightly lighter. Either way she will enjoy riding a Monster, we all do.

Ian

PS A paddock stand is a handy piece of kit for chain lubing and adjustment.

spacemonkey
04-05-2004, 04:13 PM
"I really don't know squat about Monsters as I have always run with the 916's and 996S's. I hope you good folks will still 'talk' to me."

Just what kind of people do you think we are? This isn't the DOC you know. We're friendly types here... ;)

Yup, get any and she will be pleased. I always say go for a 900 but they're all good. But do try to get the fuel injected model as the carbs ice like hell and this isn't good for novices (or the rest of us!!).

Hommie
04-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply's regarding the purchase of a Monster. Now that the weather is getting warmer and warmer, this girl is maniacle about Monsters! I'm just happy that she insists on a Ducati. I looked on the computer at an owners manual for a 900. Belts at 12,400 - valves at 6200 etc. I imagine that all the various models are roughly the same as far as schedules...?? This will I imagine, be important to keep in mind when looking for a good used bike, and looking at records of maintenance.

What do you all use for rear-wheel stands? Do you or should one consider add on parts so as to facilitate certain kinds of stands? I want us to be able to do some work and adjustments on the back of the machine as needed...Thanks agaiin...Hommie

Jason
04-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Hommie,

I bought a Micron paddock stand for about £36 from M&P. Well made, butch bit of kit. Makes servicing much easier.

With regards to the model of Monster, I can only speak for the M600 carbed version.

I returned to biking last year and have found the 600 to be an excellent re-introduction as it's fairly mild mannered in terms of power but still has loads of v-twin stomp.

Previously I'd been 'born-again' and jumped in on a Kwak ZX10 that was too big, too powerful and handled like a Scammel truck! One redundancy and five years on, I decided to stick to something more 'sensible' to re-cut my teeth and have not been disappointed in the M600.

Guess the bigger bikes would be even better depending on your lady's level of experience.

spacemonkey
05-05-2004, 08:29 PM
There is a centre stand kit available from Ducati which is the same as seen on the ST series. This is easily fitted, doesn't cost much, doesn't get in the way and would make life a lot easier when making rear end adjusters. Or fit a Scottoiler type thingy, and then you won't have to bother...

Gizmo
05-05-2004, 08:44 PM
M750 ie offers a nice compromise between weight and power. After a lot of years riding big "super bike" stuff and then a 3 year gap I wasn't sure whether to go 750 or 900/S4, went for 750 cos insurance was 60% less than the 9 and I wasn't sure how much I'd be using it anyway. Its only on odd occation I miss big horsepower, most of the time the 7 is OK.

I've got a rear paddock stand but theres no where to bolt in bobbins so you have to use the flat plates supplied, glued bits of rubber on mine to stop scratching swingarm.

First job is to ditch standard cans, they weigh a ton and carbon is a stack lighter.

There are more custom parts around for the 9 than 600 and 750

peteS4
31-05-2004, 08:56 PM
i went straight from ridding a cagiva mito for 8 years (yes, i know how sad that must sound) onto an S4, i had no probs what so ever with the 916 engine, infact, 8 months on and i would like more power, and before anyone says........ i already have a full high level termig system, termifg chip and open race filter.......... the monnie is a fab bike to get use to, upright riding, and easy motor........; if shes been riding for ages get her the 900.......... anything less and you will leave her miles behind on every ride you do..........

JMo
31-05-2004, 11:46 PM
i went straight from ridding a cagiva mito for 8 years (yes, i know how sad that must sound)

I can't believe it lasted that long!

BTW. peeps - is Hommie in Seattle USA? - if so, M&P, Bikesure and DUK interest free credit won't be relevant of course...

However, I second those who say go for an EFi rather than carb model, but would remind everyone that the 63bhp 750, while being nice and torquey, really has no more power than a 60bhp 620 (which is why they replaced it with the 800 I imagine). A 900 (or S4) is a good bet for someone with experiance (and insurance NCB), but all are great... (and hey, most of us would be hard pushed to keep up with DRC on his ten year old 600!!!)

xxx

Little Monster
02-06-2004, 09:21 PM
buying a bike for my girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!! i thought men bought flowers when they'd done something wrong. you must have REALLY screwed up !!! :D

MilesB
06-06-2004, 05:12 PM
All I can say is get a Monster... my lady has an SV650 - basically a Suzuki clone, but it has a stonking 650 engine... Power to weight ratio is about the same, but she had to do a lot to the suspension to keep up with my M900ie though :lol:

However, when she first got it it was hell - she just wasn't used to a sensitive throttle with V twin torque... it bites back, even with a wet clutch, and almost had her off a few times before she got the hang of it. Of course at that time I had a Triumph T-bird Sport :confused: - so couldn't really coment, but a part exed it for a last model M900ie Dark...

This thing has a dry clutch, so should be worse, but I have never managed to lock up the back wheel when down shifting, so I must put it down to that fuel injection :)

Try and get her a comfier saddle though :bunny:

Miles

spacemonkey
07-06-2004, 08:59 PM
Of course it is possible to 'ease' the clutch out when down changing... I'm sure this wheel locking shennanigans is due to ham fisted ex-four pot owners who still think they have to knock it down 3 gears to over take anything and dumps the clutch when downshifting.