PDA

View Full Version : Rev limit

YourOldNemesis
30-04-2004, 02:30 PM
I've found some badly translated passage in the manual about what speed I should not exceed in each gear, but can someone tell me what this equates to in simple terms: ie what is the rev limit on a 2002 620ie?

Thanks

Pedro
30-04-2004, 04:26 PM
When it runs out of puff..........

snakey
01-05-2004, 07:18 AM
9000 rpm on my 750 - should be about the same on yours. don't take it up that end of the rev range much myself as the clock is reading 100 at around 6000 in top (don't know if my speedo's that accurate, as i had a load more miles on the clock after a long run than my mate did on his Buell - over 500 miles there was 60 odd miles difference.)

Pete.

YourOldNemesis
12-05-2004, 09:59 AM
There are other gears you know!

slob
12-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Ducati's website(performance pipes) shows peak power on an M620 to be around 8500RPM, if that helps.

YourOldNemesis
12-05-2004, 10:43 AM
Slob, ta for the info, that is interesting, but doesn't determine the rev-limit. Most engines will produce peak bhp at higher revs, due to the fact there are more bangs/minute = more fuel burned/minute = more energy released/unit time = more power.

But the rev limit is determined by the momentum of the moving parts - mainly valves and pistons reciprocating - eg. for every bang the piston goes up and down twice, do do this it must totally change direction and speed 4 times per power stroke. The strength of the components holding the piston to the conrod and the conrod to the crankshaft come into play as the faster the engine is revving the faster the piston is moving thus the more momentum it has...

Chris
13-05-2004, 07:18 AM
The limiter is at 9000 on a 900ie. Ride it hard, forget to shift and you'll find out! There should be a limiter on the 620ie.

paul620sie
13-05-2004, 09:16 AM
The 620ie (all ie's come to that) will have a rev limiter. If you really want to find it do it 2nd or 3rd gear. In 1st it will feel very harsh and in 4th & 5th you need to be doing an illegal speed. Its unlikely you will be able to hit the limiter in 6th gear.

Its a good idea to find it at least once deliberatly, then you won't be too shocked the first time you hit it accidently. (the same applies with ABS brakes - make sure you know how they feel before you have to use them in a "situation").

The rev limiter (as youroldnemesis correctly states above) is there to protect the engine from mechanical damage.

Andrew
13-05-2004, 03:51 PM
do yuo have 6 gears then !!

peteS4
14-05-2004, 11:07 PM
theres a limiter on the s4 too, mine hits about 10 thou but she is pulling all the way hard to it and i know she wants to go futher......... best not to blow her up though !!!!!!!!!!

Scotty
15-05-2004, 08:39 AM
looking through some of the ducatiperformace catalog somwhere you can buy the aftermarket pipes n air filter n stuff with a new ecu some of which increace the rev limit. you al feel such a tit bouincing it off the rev limit once youve done it a few times
another way to find the rev limit parked up leave it in newtral and then rev the ttits off it

snakey
15-05-2004, 12:08 PM
A really clever way to totally F**k up any motor !!!

YourOldNemesis
15-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by snakey

Sorry to be pedantic, but would you care to explain why this would do more damage to the engine than bouncing off the limiter in 2nd going down the road? Would have thought it's actually better as there's less load at the time...

snakey
16-05-2004, 08:35 AM
You will do less damage as engines are designed to work 'under load' and not reved to their limit sitting on a paddock stand.

YourOldNemesis
24-05-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Scotty
looking through some of the ducatiperformace catalog somwhere you can buy the aftermarket pipes n air filter n stuff with a new ecu some of which increace the rev limit. you al feel such a tit bouincing it off the rev limit once youve done it a few times
another way to find the rev limit parked up leave it in newtral and then rev the ttits off it

Thanks to all those peeps with useful info (ie it does have a limiter etc...)

Re: quote above - changing pipes, air-filter and ecu do not have any bearing on what engine speed causes valve to meet piston. If you want to (safely) increase your rev limit you need forged pistons, lighter valves and a steel crank (and on a non-desmo engine - stiffer valve springs) if you don't give a toss, you just need to hack into the ECU and change the setting.

Chain
17-06-2004, 12:35 PM
When it runs out of puff..........That's the best advice I've seen on this subject in a long time. Most bikes won't pull redline in the top couple of gears, and many motorcycles that will make redline won't rip hard to it. May as well select another gear when she quits making good power. Easier on the motor and keeps things in the thick of the powerband. :burnout: