PDA

View Full Version : Seized rear brake M/C - worth checking out?

gary tompkins
28-04-2004, 07:03 PM
After much agro sorting an electrical fault on the monster a few weeks ago, you can imagine my delight to find the rear disc binding badly on a run last saturday :mad:

After stripping down the rear master cylinder and pedal assembly, I discovered the rubber gaiter full of water and rusty ****e and the piston/operating rod partially seized. I don't think the innards had seen any grease etc. (maybe even when assembled at the factory) so I'm not surprised it locked up.

I've now managed to rebuild the mechanism and free off the piston, so the rear brakes releasing ok again :D

Bearing in mind my 900ie is only just turned 2 years/12k miles old, and has had virtually no winter use - it makes me wonder how many other monsters of a similar vintage are at risk of this happening?

Could be a good time to have a look at yours, and see if the dreaded rust has taken hold? ;)

spacemonkey
28-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Mine had done that at 22k or so. Ended up warping the disc and failed it's MOT a few weeks back. I'd fixed the brake at 22k, but as I didn't use it I didn't think there was anything wrong come MOT time 7k later...

Chris
29-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Mine has done the same, about a year ago. Cooked the brake so badly it melted the piston seals on the rear caliper! Like you Gary my bike was only 2 years old.

MotoNik
30-04-2004, 07:16 AM
Is that a Brembo master cylinder? Better check mine, just in case.

Thanks for the warning.

Nik

gary tompkins
30-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Hi nick,

Yes it was a Brembo rear master cylinder, but I think (from memory) that the design/layout is slightly different on other bikes Duke's compared to the M9's.

Still could be worth a 10 minute check though? Thats all it took to spot the cause of the problem on mine :burnout: