PDA

View Full Version : buying my first monster. Need advice please!

gallardo
28-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Hi,

Yes, I am looking into buying my first monster earliest and could do with some advice.

I am actually going to Hertforshire to see a dark M600 this weekend. I know nothing (or not much and I am actually from Barcelona :D ) about bikes. I wonder if you could tell me what obvious when looking at it and being able of saying more than 'niiice'

Gracias everyone,

Gallardo

m900uk
28-04-2004, 04:28 PM
if you have owned bigger bikes the 600 may not appear powerful enough!

gallardo
28-04-2004, 04:35 PM
I've only owned a CBR600 before. I love the looks of the monster dark and think that may be a good one for London. Think I'll give it a try. Just heard a few things from different people about Ducatis. Probably jealous...

psychlist
28-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Especially if you're used to the power of a cb6?

Have a test ride http://home.freeuk.com/cmwmotorcycles/CMWUsedBikes.htm

:burnout:

m900uk
28-04-2004, 04:50 PM
although undoubtedly a great bike, the 600 monster for my money will disappoint on performance if you've had a more powerful bike, I would think it would be worth trying the 750 or 900 as well.

On looks alone, regardless of engine size you will not be disappointed however. The monster is a timeless good looker and will be great around town in terms of transport and catching the eye!

gallardo
28-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Thank you!

If not much idea about bikes, what will you be looking at when going to see it to buy it?

m900uk
28-04-2004, 05:00 PM
A complete Ducati service history and a clean bike. Ducati owners rarely allow their bikes to get in a mess. Definately no oil leaks.

A Yerbury
28-04-2004, 07:14 PM
If you can find an injected 620 instead? more like an old 750 power wise. My ex had a cbr600 (grey pink-yuck) as a courtesy bike whilst her kwak was serviced suffice to say she still preffered her harris piped retro zephyr and we both agree d that m600 has bags more character. This is besides the point, you want to know what to look for...ok, its not tricky, apart from making sure the belts a fresh the usual tick box s apply. Engine smoke, oil leaks, worn teeth, shoddy engine paint and electrics all doing what they should. you cant really hide faults with monsters as if there is a problem you will see/feel it straight away. If the clutch is hard work, 1st gear pulling away a bit juddery and neutral difficult to find.....dont worry, they are all like that and can be tweaked a bit! As I said it may be worth holding out or saving a few hundred more for an injected model.
hope that is some help.
AY

spacemonkey
28-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Gallardo, check your pm box.

"A complete Ducati service history and a clean bike. Ducati owners rarely allow their bikes to get in a mess. Definately no oil leaks."

Mate, I have a Full DSH, and I never clean my bike, it IS in a right mess, and has been known to leak oil.... And it gets used...

I would agree-get a 900 with full ducati service history. There are plenty of monsters out there, so you don't need to buy a scruffy one. I would also say buy one that's actually been used and not left in a garage 10 months of the year. Most don't get used in winter, so corrosion shouldn't be too bad, so again, don't settle for a bad one-there is no need. The Dark was an economy model (I know this is gonna start an argument) but the only real differences is the paint, the swingarm (steel, not alloy) and some models had cheaper forks/shock. You could buy a black model instead.
Have a look at the for sale section on this site. All bikes there are owned by enthusiasts and are thus maintaned and treated very well. I believe that M900DOM is seling his project. He is an engineer by trade and his bike is undergoing a full restoration to a very high standard. If you like it it would be a good buy, and he will paint it whatever colour you want.

spacemonkey
28-04-2004, 07:44 PM
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6390

Check here to see Dom's bike.

monsta munch
28-04-2004, 09:07 PM
ive got a m600 too, its just lush, really comfy for longer trips, great chucking it round the bends,( im always faster out of the bends than the R1's in one of my buddy ride out groups!), theyre real head turners too, whenever im out with buds , its always the duke that gets the eye!

m900uk
28-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Mate, I have a Full DSH, and I never clean my bike, it IS in a right mess, and has been known to leak oil.... And it gets used...

....but this is the exception.

It's Ducatis that do this to me I just cannot bear to see it dirty. Previous bikes have been seriously RIDDEN, most were trail bikes admittedly.

It may be a syndrome!!!!:lol:

I am a VICTIM!!!!

spacemonkey
28-04-2004, 10:43 PM
The only tim eI do clean it is for when it is being serviced or having major work done, for obvious reasons. I use it year round and when I do clean it, it comes up ok! So I dont worry about it at all...

gallardo
05-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi there,

Went to see a Black/Yellow Ducati yesterday. Really like this colour. I'd buy it, but the seller didn't deserve all my confidence. I had not ridden one before, and obviously I tell the difference in performance with my CBR6, but I was expecting more power in first two gears. It's difficult not knowing much, and don't want to !!!! it up. It looked very clean, greasy on the chain, but I guess that's normal?

queen_gpants
05-05-2004, 11:31 AM
Gallardo are you looking at bikes with anyone who has experience of Ducati's/Monsters?

I'm free most days and live in West London so if you need someone to come with you drop me a PM.

I'm not around for the rest of this week as I'm off to Cadwell tomorrow but free next week. I've got 2 dukes so I have plenty of experience and I'll happily test ride a bike for you and check it over.

m900uk
05-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Gallardo

what an offer, I would accept. This would sure remove some of the guesswork and risks.