PDA

View Full Version : Cycle cat frame sliders

invigiator
27-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Anybody know about these?

I bought a set of DS-9, which I suspect are for 2001+ bikes. I've got a '99 M400.

Is there much difference? Do you think I can make it fit, possibly with exrta parts or modification. I've E-mailed cycle cat but no response yet, and they'll probably just tell me to buy the DS-7 which is for the older bikes.

Somebody must know the difference between the older and newer models.

Julian.

Pedro
27-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Julian

different Monny's have different bolt sizes - later, ST based chassis use a bigger bolt 12mm I think. Early ones (888 chassis) use a 10mm bolt

Ped

invigiator
28-04-2004, 03:50 AM
Damn damn! and Damn!

It's even worse than that. I have got two bolts, one on each side. I.e. No through bolt at all.
Cycle cat says they don't manufacture a system for this setup because of the increase risk of cracking the engine casing in the event of a crash.

So do I:
a) screw it, I'm better off without sliders
b) get some studding cut to the right length and use that to secure the sliders on both sides
c) drill out the thread on the engine case and frame to 12mm, then install the frame sliders with the through bolt supplied by cycle cat

... damn!

I have tried to find pictures, but I've had no luck. On my bike the engine casing has two threaded mount points, one for each side. On other bikes I expect there will be no thread, but are there two cast mounting points on the casing, or one long tube? If I drill it out, the stresses wil be different, because it will be compressed, whereas now there is no stress at rest on the engine block from the front mounting.

Also, are the engine mount points larger on the later models to accomodate the 12mm bolt?

invigiator
28-04-2004, 08:25 AM
Well, in answer to my own question:

I went to a Ducati dealer today and looked at bikes. Later models do indeed have a tube all the way through for the front mounting bolt. This means, if I am to believe Cycle cat's web-site, that it is inadvisable to fit frame sliders on the early-style bikes with and engine block with two separate mounting bolts (one for each side).

The only solution would be to drill out the thread in the block, machine flat the inside edges of the mount points, then add an aluminium tube inbetween them (and probably weld it in place).

So basically no frame sliders for me.

DesmoDog
28-04-2004, 08:31 AM
Hi invigiator,

Sounds like you have a nightmare. Looks like an e-bay job for the sliders.

On a different thread altogether (no pun intended, really), what sort of tea tray is that on your icon? looks really nice, and probably expensive.

Dog:eek:

invigiator
28-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Yeah! I'm screwed for the frame sliders ...
Didn't pay much for them so don't mind the cost; it's the fact that I've got a summer of racing with no sliders that bugs me.

As for the tail unit, you're not the first to ask. It was on the bike when I got it. It is in the Ducati catalogue, and recently I saw it here:
http://www.spareshack.com/cgi-bin/browse-no-frames.cgi?session=38638797&view=item&item=moncf011_cd2000

It says monsters 2000-2001, but mine's a '99 so that's flexible truth.

DesmoDog
28-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Cheers man,

Good luck with the racing.