PDA

View Full Version : Blasted fuggin sidestand

jrpdark
26-04-2004, 07:27 PM
OK - I know this question has been asked a billion times, but what is the best fix for the ill-conceived excuse for a sidestand that Ducati have, in their infinte wisdom, seen fit to fit(!) to their earlier bikes?

I have a 98 Monster Dark & I am frankly getting a bit cheesed off with it (the stand only - the bike is great:D ). It's the "rolling it off the paddock stand and oh my god I've got to stop it falling over now" bit that has my heart in my mouth every time
:eek: (I use a bungy to lock the stand out, but that's a bit tiresome in the 21st century).

I have read somewhere about hacksawing the head of the allen bolt (but may be wrong?), or does Spares geezer have anything to offer in this line?

Cheers

James

nik_the_brief
26-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Flip is an advocate of the former and I think that Julie and Ruth may have found somewhere to buy a bolt to cure the problem.

crust
26-04-2004, 10:34 PM
you wont be saying that when you turn left #*%@ oww, crash, skid eeech, thunk,oooohh

then you'll be saying that, then you'll be saying that

them springs is there for a reason

:) Crust

kevb
27-04-2004, 08:03 AM
Have a look on the motostrano.com website; they sell longer side stands for monsters and they look the dogs

Flip
27-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Yep just lopped the allen bolt off of mine and no more 'flick-at-the-thought-of-it' side stand but you can indeed buy a replacement bolt (for around £10 I think) that is a much neater fix.

Just remember to kick it up before you ride off or as Crust rightly says it could prove messy.