PDA

View Full Version : HELP please... Noisy Cans _ MOT...

Expanders
26-04-2004, 03:16 PM
My 2001 Monster is up for MOT soon...

It was bought from a Ducati dealer already fitted with noisy pipes...when I took it to a local station they said they were not marked for road use...

They gave me the option of purchasing some road ones but that was big bucks...

What do the rest of you do when u come to this dreaded time of year?!

Any Duke friendly MOT stations about? I am based in East London / Essex borders...

Cheers...
:burnout:

Julie
26-04-2004, 03:20 PM
You need to get your standard cans on to get an MOT.

someone in your area should be able to help.

if MOT garages do pass bikes with Race cans on, they wont want us putting the names on the public forum.

m900uk
26-04-2004, 03:22 PM
...I'm in gloucester. Get yourself here and MOT in Glos or pay the postage both ways praps.

The offers there m8.

rgrds

Expanders
26-04-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Julie & Ruth
You need to get your standard cans on to get an MOT.

someone in your area should be able to help.

if MOT garages do pass bikes with Race cans on, they wont want us putting the names on the public forum.

A subtle PM then...
:twisted:

I might have to sell her otherwise, dont really wanna spend 3 or 4 hundred quid...

Julie
26-04-2004, 03:28 PM
e-bay for cheap standard cans...

A Yerbury
26-04-2004, 04:54 PM
hello expanders, if yr east lunnen, then go to dalston er scooters? no used to be jons scooters but they closed. dalston motorcycles is on balls pond road on the right heading away from dalston (the best direction!) anyways they mot all daytonas ducatis and are a nice family run bunch, been around for years and I had no trouble can wise (just explain to them that they might be a bit loud but u have the standard ones at home etc)
Alex

cgreen
26-04-2004, 05:45 PM
depends where you go, I have race cans marked "not for road use" etc and get mine mot'd fine, some places are fussier than others. the place I use is in surrey, if you want to know where PM me. ;)

26-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Dunno if this helps but here goes.

Had my bike MOT'd last week. Phoned up the place asking when they could do it.

"When do you want it done?"

"How about now?", sort of joking, thinking they'll need a weeks notice.

"Fine bring it down?"

Eeeeek!! Had to explain about race cans and they explained not a hope of passing unless cans are stamped or engraved with these letters/digits BS AU 193 a.

In a bit of light hearted banter I asked if I could just write it on with a felt tip pen. No.
They then went on to say that if someone was to stamp or engrave the correct digits on the cans they are duty bound to pass them as they are not in a position to question the authenticity of said inscription. Then they said "errr .. that's a hint".

So with a modelmakers vibro etching pen, in my very best handwriting, I engraved the required letters, presented my bike which passed the MOT test with flying colours.

So now you know what to do. :D

A Yerbury
26-04-2004, 06:31 PM
nice one proto! there s a ready market for those I feel!

herbie
27-04-2004, 12:05 PM
I took my bike into the local garage in Newport (South Wales) for the MOT this morning.

Parked up next to the garage owner's 999S in yellow.

When I came back an hour later, he gave me the certifacte, asked for £15 and said, great sounding pipes!!!!

High level Sils 105dBa !!!!!!!!!!

herbie

benson
27-04-2004, 01:20 PM
The etching sounds like it might be worth chasing up - meanwhile expanders I'm not far from you off of Woodford Green - I have standard cans for my 2002 M900ie in a mates lock up if you want to borrow them? PM me if you do, meanwhile happy loud sounds...
Benson

Flip
27-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Before you all go out and spend your cash on Dremels and the like bare in mind that by etching the BSAU193 legend onto your cans you are committing a fraudulant offence ....Yes really- more than one person has been done for this and the same goes for those little plates you can buy to rivit on.

Best bet is to either buy/borrow some cans for the MOT or bung the guy a fiver.... ~ahem~ Thanks Col ...me FBF cans flew through (JMo's might cost a tenner when the time comes though coz they is f-off loud)

gwyndaff
28-04-2004, 11:18 AM
Quick Question,
would you get done for two separate offences by riding with race cans with BS numbers stamped/etched,
or is it just one offence i.e. using cans that are not road legal.?

Also, could you say "they were like that when i bought them second hand"??? If you didn't stamp/etch the number yourself maybe you wouldn't get done for fraud.

As you can tell, my knowledge of the law is very limited (thats how i like it)

Jay
28-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Riding with loud cans will sometimes get you a £30 fine (or whatever the sum is) and a producer to get an MOT sorted out. Whereas the stamping of the BS numbers is fraud, which is lightly er, more of an offence.

peteS4
14-05-2004, 11:01 PM
look in the back of motorcycle news in the spares and services section, thereas a company who sell the stamped tags very cheap and all you do is fix them to your cans, it backs up the other post about a garage not in a pos to prove otherwise...... also as its a proper stamp it all looks gen too........ have a look..... worth a try