PDA

View Full Version : New M800 Query

npotts
22-04-2004, 09:34 AM
Hi guys
I dropped my 748S off for a few add on's last night and was given a M800 Monster as a courtesy bike. It was the first time I have ridden a Monster since selling mine last month, and boy was it fun!!
One thing though - when I got it out the garage this morning, and tried to fire it up nothing happened. It did its usually computer check, sidestand was up, bike was in gear - but nothing!!

I rang Ducati Manchester this morning to tell them that the battery might be flat and was told that the bike would not start in gear even if the clutch was in!! This seems strange as my old Monster (which was a 52 plate), would start up regardless of whether it was in gear or not!!

Are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes? Or is this a new feature on the new bikes?? I was really looking forward to using the M800 for work as well - the motor pulls beautifully. Makes me kinda sad to have got rid of my old 620ie, which although underpowered was great fun!!

Thanks for your help!!

Nick

Eug
22-04-2004, 09:49 AM
Obviously you've tried starting in neutral ...

npotts
22-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Nope!! Thats the thing - didnt try this as I was getting flustered about being late for work - doh!
Will try this tonight though

Julie
22-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Mine wont start in gear.

So just pop it into neutral and bobs your man

npotts
22-04-2004, 12:03 PM
You know thinking about it, it cant have been in gear as I rolled it out of and then back into the garage without touching the gear lever!! I think it may be something else!!

These blimmin Dukes hey!! Who'd have one?!!

spacemonkey
22-04-2004, 05:39 PM
Could've been a false neutral. My good ole 900 will start in any gear whenever I want with stand up or down. And I've never started it in gear by accident as I was always taught to hold a clutch in when starting a car or bike just in case.

npotts
28-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Cheers for the help guys - it was a false neutral after all!!!

paul620sie
28-04-2004, 04:22 PM
ah, false neutral .... i keep getting them too!