PDA

View Full Version : stainless clutch springs

MotoNik
22-04-2004, 07:23 AM
Anyone know where I can get some? Mine have gone brown!

Took my clutch apart last night - I was getting a bit paranoid reading all the posts about seized pushrods and knackered bearing etc...

I can confirm that there's a little play in the centre part of the clutch Pedro - a few mil back and forth. Normal it would seem. I guess it's play between the teeth in the primary drive? Not sure that's the real reason, but I've seen it on other clutches, so I guess it's ok.

Also found that some of the inner-most clutch plates were a little corroded - presumably because last time I rode the bike was in a monsoon. I'm guessing the corrosion (slight surface discolouration) will be removed next time I ride the bike. One or two of the friction pads were a little bit scored - I'll keep an eye on that.

Nice to be able to work on the clutch without worrying about getting engine oil everywhere! :)

Nik

robht
22-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Spareshack sell the stainless clutch springs.

www.spareshack.com

Rob

spacemonkey
22-04-2004, 05:37 PM
I got mine from Ruislip Daytona for £25 with bolts. Probably made of cheese though...

Duncan
22-04-2004, 07:54 PM
Nik

Being as spring steel is a high carbon jobby, hardened then tempered to give the correct combination of strength and flexibility, the brown or blue often seen is evidence of the tempering operation on the wire before springs are wound. I have bought loads of new springs over the years that are blue / brown and the true check is the free length which is 36.5mm min. The springs should also be of similar length to one another.

Stainless springs are generally made from a high carbon steel with a few bits added to make it stainless then after tempering its polished. Unless you have an open clutch cover, its not worth wasting your money on.

Pedro
22-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Cheers Nik!

spacemonkey
23-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Whereas I only bought them as I was desperate and they didn't have the normal ones...