PDA

View Full Version : Sunday 25th April - impromptu meet

JMo
21-04-2004, 06:50 PM
After last Sunday's diabolical weather, how about a quick warm-up prior to the Monster Weekend, for those in Sussex and surrounding areas?

Plan to meet at Bury Hill from 10.30am for coffee and chat, with a bit of a ride in the surrounding (derestricted!) area from 11am, and a stop for lunch.

Obviously this will be weather dependent, but the forcast looks good so far...

Hope to see you there, along with Boozy piling on the miles, and Eug finding his feet again...

JennyMo

xxx

rubberhugger
22-04-2004, 09:14 AM
hmmm hmmm hmm sunday....i really should be at sunday school....but what the hey, i will be there for a nice country monster munch of the roads!

See ya all there.....and please be gentle i only passed last week!

Flip
22-04-2004, 04:38 PM
You ain't going anywhere sick boy after kicking yourself in the thumb (yes really folks!) and dislocating it at work today ...ha ha ha!

rubberhugger
23-04-2004, 07:44 AM
yeah the 3 point freak is right i kicked my hand and torn ligaments in it so my little monster is redundant for a while untill i be fixed! sorry no sunday show up!

JMo
23-04-2004, 08:22 PM
... the pair of you are f*cking hopeless!

xxx

JMo
25-04-2004, 07:30 PM
Well, the first big Sussex meet of the year started off well enough at Bury Hill (where some guy came up and asked if he could take some pictures of my bike - didn't see him photographing any Honda Hornets, Proto me ol'mate!) with a suitably substantial turnout of a dozen - the Sussex faithful: SazzaJ, DRC, JamesT, Robht, Jamcoly, Doobie, Collie & Fodder, myself, and Jess (just recently out of hibernation!) - together with TJay and Boozy Bob from a little further afield. Got a text from Eug, saying he couldn't make it afterall, and a message from Saxman & Sprintbint saying they would aim to catch us up later in the day - it all looked very promising...

So having waved Jamcoly off to work (poor fellow), 11 of us headed for a ride on some of Sussex's finest - and that is where the trouble started...

1. less than 100yds from the carpark, someone took the wrong exit on the roundabout, and (like sheep) half the group ended up heading off in the other direction! (despite more than one of the cloth ears knowing the correct route - no names... ahem). However, because of the traffic, it wasn't immediately clear they were missing, and having realised, DRC headed back to pick them up... After ten minutes we got a phone call from Sazza saying that they were infact in Chichester!???, had realised their mistake, and were now heading back... DRC returned in the meantime a little bewildered, but eventually we all regrouped and headed off for a fine selection of twisties.

2. Stopping after that particularly fine section of the A272 between Billingshurst and Petworth to wait for those baulked by 40mph motorhomes and other tedious Sunday drivers, it soon became clear that Collie and Fodder were some way behind. Fearing that Pootle had started misbehaving again, DRC and Jess headed back down the road (the pair of hooners! - one of them on a hired bike too, eh Doug?!) to see if they were ok, while we carried on to the pub...

3. As we were running late (after the great Chichester invasion of earlier that day), we decided to head for a closer pub, and enjoyed a very entertaining hoon over Duncton, Goodwood and the belting B2141. However, on arrival at said pub, almost immediately a very shirty looking landlord came out and said in no uncertain terms that he didn't require our custom... (Does that still happen? Ed). Somewhat miffed we waited in the carpark for Sax & Sprint to show up - who then phoned again to say they had got comprehensively lost (yet were barely 5 miles from where we were - hey ho) and may or may not see us afterall. Then got a text from Collie saying they had decided to head home, so we waited for Jess and DRC to catch us back up.

4. Jess pulls into the carpark - with a flat tyre. Thankfully Robht had a repair kit, and we were eventually on our way - although time was fast running out for a pub still serving food, as it was close to 2pm.

5. Ended up going to our original pub in Funtington, arrived at 2.05pm - and guess what... that's right. Also, Jess (who had gone ahead to get air/fuel) was nowhere to be seen, rather was sitting in a pub a mile back down the road, waiting for us... (aren't mobile phones wonderful sometimes eh?!)

6. Thankfully Jess' local knowledge meant we finally found a pub nearby at Bosham, that served food until 3pm - wey bloody hey!

7. Ordered food, and food came (suprisingly quickly I might add) - however, was then promptly taken away again from under poor Tjay's nose, as it was actually for another table... doh. Still, the sun was shining, and we enjoyed a drink and eventually food...

8. As we were soaking up the sun, we heard a distant rumble - to see who we imagine can only have been Saxman (red Monny with Corse tank and hi-level pipes) wizz round the roundabout right in front of us and head off into the distance, oblivious to the nine Monsters lined up outside the pub, and a touch of frantic waving from my good self. Anyway...

JMo
25-04-2004, 07:32 PM
9. As it was now getting late in the day, we forfitted the run over to see Phyclist for a cuppa (goodness man, you'd already had 21 Ducati's visit earlier that day, you really wanted that many more?!), rather went to pick up Jess' daughter Nikki and go for an ice cream on Bognor beach (well, the nice bit - Felpham), then returned to Bury Hill (half expecting it to be closed of course - based on the luck we'd been having so far...) for a well earned cuppa before saying our goodbyes... thankfully we were in luck, for once that day at least.

So despite the problems, it still turned into a great day out, if somewhat ad hoc in places - but the company and the weather made it fun all the way! Mind you, as we were sitting in the pub (waiting for our lunch!), we did consider what might have happened: What if had the group not missed the turning on the roundabout? - we would have had plenty of time to get to the original pub, and on to see Phyclist as originally planned... What if had Jess & DRC not gone back to find Collie & Fodder? - she might not have picked up the puncture... which inturn we wouldn't have had to fix, making us late for the pub, which had stopped serving food at 2pm...

On balance, we decided to blame Eug - afterall, his return to the fold was the main reason we decided to meet in the first place - and because he wasn't there of course!

Hope you all got home safely mon petite champignons - pictures from chief Sussex photographer SazzaJ, and Boozy 'my helmets a tripod too!' Bob, to follow I'm sure...

Best wishes, and see you all again soon...

JennyMo

xxx

BoozyBOB
25-04-2004, 10:55 PM
another Boozy's adventure day indeed...now the circulation has returned to my hands...(had to exersise the arm lift down the pub)..i will post some pics...
a great day out

BoozyBOB
25-04-2004, 10:59 PM
how difficult can it be to travel 5 miles from Bury Hill to get fuel..without loosing half the group....
but we did re group eventualy....

BoozyBOB
25-04-2004, 11:02 PM
it will have to go to a vote for hero off the day
..Robht for having a puncture repair kit..
..Jes for her local (pub) knowledge...

BoozyBOB
25-04-2004, 11:04 PM
was it realy the Saxman...
could he ride past such a view....

BoozyBOB
25-04-2004, 11:07 PM
and then a perfict end to the day...sunshine..sea..and

Julie
26-04-2004, 04:30 PM
whos who in the last photo

Fodder
26-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Errrm, ahhhh
It wasn't my fault we got lost I just followed evryone else:D
Sorry we went AWOL, needed to get home. By the time we'd sorted out what we we're doing you guys were long gone.

Looks like the day continued as it started then ;)

Keep monsterin

26-04-2004, 04:49 PM
where some guy came up and asked if he could take some pictures of my bike - didn't see him photographing any Honda Hornets, Proto me ol'mate!

JMo, I give up. err........... I sold my Hornet and bought er ............. a Ducati Monster. Does that tell you something? I even had two of the things for a while.

I worry about you sometime you seem to suffering from the age old Ducati Owner's problem of Selective Comprhension. :D

BoozyBOB
26-04-2004, 05:23 PM
sorry J+R....
L to R..Jim,JMo,Jess,Nikki,Sazza,Robht,Doug(DRC)..
ooopps..i did not get in that one......

fixed

Tjay
26-04-2004, 09:19 PM
To actually be part of 'sliding doors', was an experience not to be missed!!Had a great day out with the Sussexites on some superb camera free tarmac,(albeit somewhat disjointed!!)
Just to clear a couple of points though,

1)I would love to take the credit,but it was Robht who was the saviour with the puncture repair kit,and .......

2)It was also Robht who was in the photo eating ice-cream and not my good self!

Good time was had by all, let me know when sliding doors 2 is,I am definitely up for it!!!!

Cheers,
Tjay

Eug
26-04-2004, 10:36 PM
Yes yes blame it all on the Eugster !

Well imagine that ... Jess getting a flat tyre.
It was fate then that we did not meet as I awoke to ... lo and behold ... a flat tyre too !

Small bloody nail, but big enough to flatten the whole rear tyre.
Got it sorted today though, so now that you guys have sorted out your routes and choice of pubs - you'll be ready for my arrival next time :)

I'm off horse-riding in Wales this weekend so I'll keep checking the events section, unless you PM me JMo.

Eug

BoozyBOB
26-04-2004, 10:57 PM
oopps sorry Tjay..and a big SORRY to Robht...
(maybe we can keep our name badges after the weekender...):bunny:

JMo
27-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by proto
I worry about you sometime you seem to suffering from the age old Ducati Owner's problem of Selective Comprhension.

Not at all - I know you sold your Cornet, and that you do indeed love your Monny, despite it's obvious performance short comings in comparison (ahem).

I was mearly recounting the episode as an illustration as to the fundamental difference between the two bikes - and it ain't numbers!

xxx

JMo
27-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Tjay
Had a great day out with the Sussexites on some superb camera free tarmac

Ah, you see it's worth the journey south isn't it?!

I must say, Sussex is one of the best counties for lack of cameras, decent derestricted twisties, and for the most part good tarmac on even the minor roads... I guess that our one blessing of the day was there were no mobiees out either, well, not where we were riding anyway. If any of us had got a ticket, I think that would have been the final straw!

xxx

thesaxman
27-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by JMo
8. As we were soaking up the sun, we heard a distant rumble - to see who we imagine can only have been Saxman (red Monny with Corse tank and hi-level pipes) wizz round the roundabout right in front of us and head off into the distance, oblivious to the nine Monsters lined up outside the pub, and a touch of frantic waving from my good self. Anyway...
twasnt me hun, didnt go near bosham, and would have had sprintbints black monny in tow
:confused:

robht
27-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by BoozyBOB
oopps sorry Tjay..and a big SORRY to Robht...
(maybe we can keep our name badges after the weekender...):bunny:

No worries BoozyBob, I knew I shouldn't have come out wearing a false beard & sunglasses...(glad I had the puncture kit with me - and even happier I didn't get a puncture on the way home with the puncture kit all used up).

By the way, your next day photo service is better than Boots!

It was indeed a good day out, and thanks to JMo for holding the day together through the ever changing situation!

Cheers,
Rob

SazzaG
27-04-2004, 11:47 AM
The offending pub. Notice the quality of cars outside - it should have been a sign!

SazzaG
27-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Jess saying to JMo "I don't understand. I came round that last corner at 90mph!"

Spanner
27-04-2004, 12:51 PM
And a 100mph on the preceding straight!!! I reckon it was strategically placed nails at the entrance to the pub run by that Nazi.

What a tip top fun day. I'll have more please.

JMo
27-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by thesaxman
twasnt me hun, didnt go near bosham, and would have had sprintbints black monny in tow

Well we did wonder - there can't be than many Monnys around in Sussex with a Corse tank?!

Lets hope that next time we get it together!

xxx

BoozyBOB
27-04-2004, 10:58 PM
Sazz....never take pics of punctures...
it might be you next....
but the iced water was welcome on a hot day,,,:lol: :lol:

SazzaG
28-04-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by BoozyBOB
but the iced water was welcome on a hot day,,,:lol: :lol:

Indeed Bob. If I'd collapsed from dehydration, we could have at least blamed the landlord for not giving us a drink!

Saz